When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Taking a rep to a jewellers?

dusk

Hi all, as a newbie to this scene and decent watches I'm not going to try to clean, adjust, modify, service etc anything that I'm not comfortable with. I have a noob ceramic sub v3 and BK sub-c v2 coming soon which I'm looking forward to receiving but I will probably have them adjusted at an independant jewellers (uk). I'm taking it that I shouldn't worry about them being identified as reps by the jeweler? Should I plead ignorance, be straight up or what?

Thanks in advance

Hi all, as a newbie to this scene and decent watches I'm not going to try to clean, adjust, modify, service etc anything that I'm not comfortable with. I have a noob ceramic sub v3 and BK sub-c v2 coming soon which I'm looking forward to receiving but I will probably have them adjusted at an independant jewellers (uk). I'm taking it that I shouldn't worry about them being identified as reps by the jeweler? Should I plead ignorance, be straight up or what?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean have the band adjusted to your wrist, or the movement adjusted to make it more accurate? Rolex bracelets are adjusted by simple screws. Even the newest user could do this with a correct-sized screwdriver.

You're best using one of the recommended rep friendly watchmakers/repairs people on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I hope I can find a friendly watch smith on here from the UK. I don't want to be bouncing my subs overseas all the time ideally.

Do you mean have the band adjusted to your wrist, or the movement adjusted to make it more accurate? Rolex bracelets are adjusted by simple screws. Even the newest user could do this with a correct-sized screwdriver.

I have seen videos for removing links. This falls within my skill set thankfully. Any other 'back off' work I'm scared of. I have visions of a big boinggggg then spending the night picking components out of the lounge carpet :-/

I have seen videos for removing links. This falls within my skill set thankfully. Any other 'back off' work I'm scared of. I have visions of a big boinggggg then spending the night picking components out of the lounge carpet :-/

So you mean to have the watch's timing adjusted to "perfection" by a technician. Fair enough .. now, once the back is off the replica watch, any jeweler could plainly see that it's powered by an ETA (Swiss or clone) movement .. so to answer your question YES it will be noticed.

My advice to you is to wear the watch for two months until the movement settles. Only then can you know it's true accuracy, and if it requires adjustment.

Once you've done this, send the watch by post to the nearest forum-trusted technician.

• Like 1

So you mean to have the watch's timing adjusted to "perfection" by a technician. Fair enough .. now, once the back is off the replica watch, any jeweler could plainly see that it's powered by an ETA (Swiss or clone) movement .. so to answer your question YES it will be noticed.

My advice to you is to wear the watch for two months until the movement settles. Only then can you know it's true accuracy, and if it requires adjustment.

Once you've done this, send the watch by post to the nearest forum-trusted technician.

Thanks for this. I'll see how the watches go then take it from there. I'm sure a few GB guys could help.

Thanks again for the advice... :)

Thanks for this. I'll see how the watches go then take it from there. I'm sure a few GB guys could help.

Thanks again for the advice... :)

I'm in the UK, London, and I send my watches too SSTEEL in finland, it costs just over £10 now to send, and only takes a few days to arrive.

He is very welcoming and will put your mind & ease trust me. Maybe give him a PM.

No expert but the BK's I have, the movements came in good working order. Watch just needed to be sized by removing a link. With the glide lock clasp on the new subs they are pretty easy to size. I viewed a YouTube video for some help.

I agree that what you should do is:
1. Never ,ever take a watch to and AD. If you have a Rolex that needs repair, and the store has a Rolex sign outside, or says "Rolex Authorized Dealer" stay away. This holds true for any brand.
2. Wear the watch for a couple of months and let it settle in, this is unless it's grossly off when you get it. If it's gaining or losing more than 30 seconds per day, after being wound and worn it probably needs and adjustment.
3. Before you take a watch into any watchmaker, even and independent, unless you know for sure  he is "rep friendly", I would go in and ask him if he has any objections to adjusting or working on a rep watch. Some may, some won't.

A couple of months back, a fellow was on the forum, still here, but not posting much. He and his father are in London and have a watch repair business. He posted in this thread over on the Audemars Piquet forum. Here is a link to the thread.http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/166872-rep-friendly-watchsmiths-in-london/?hl=%2Blondon#entry1306459

He gives his information as well as and email address. It might be to your advantage to shoot him and email, maybe meet the guy and you can discuss watches. I know that he has done repairs for folks over on RG and I haven't heard anything negative.

His name is Alan Thomas, and he has a pretty good bio of he and his dad. read the whole thread, and draw your own conclusions, but he may very well be the answer to repair issues for some of you guys in the London area.  I would certainly prefer dropping my watches off at the repair person's home or shop rather than putting them in the mail. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that option.

Thanks guys. I fully appreciate your help on this! I have a list of retailirs that I know I WONT be taking my subs to that's for sure. (Sniffy at the best of times)

Thanks so much for the advice and pointers. I hope I won't NEED a watch smith any time soon but it's great to have a few if 'it ever hits the fan!