When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage case set any good?

sputim

That's a 5500 explorer dial and a 15000 DJ case. Not really the correct combination but you could buy it and sell the 15000 case and get the proper 5500 case for that dial pretty easily. Not sure what if any differences there are between the two. Well, it's a 15000 caseback at least. The correct one should read 5500 or sometimes they have the airking back with ref 1002

I can't tell if that's a genuine 5500 Explorer dial or not, but the '3' looks good.  If it is a genuine dial, then it could fetch a good price by itself.  There are plenty of Air-King owners out there who would love to convert their pieces into Explorers, but very few 5500 Explorer dials actually get listed.

I can't tell if that's a genuine 5500 Explorer dial or not, but the '3' looks good.  If it is a genuine dial, then it could fetch a good price by itself.  There are plenty of Air-King owners out there who would love to convert their pieces into Explorers, but very few 5500 Explorer dials actually get listed.

Yep! I was watching one on the bay the other day, first one I have seen in ages and someone contacted the buyer and bought it early. It only went for 400.00 too. I was fairly upset! I have a reprint on a singer plate but it's not quite 100% and the patina of a gen is hard to replicate.

Thanks for your answers guys. Actualy I am not interested in a dj but certainly in a nice 5500. but I am not sure whether this dial is gen or not. Seller claims so but on case I spend a lot and its crap it would be very bad for my wallet :p what dou you think about the movement? Has rolex ever made 21j movements?

Thanks for your answers guys. Actualy I am not interested in a dj but certainly in a nice 5500. but I am not sure whether this dial is gen or not. Seller claims so but on case I spend a lot and its crap it would be very bad for my wallet :p what dou you think about the movement? Has rolex ever made 21j movements?

Looks like an ETA 2846 movement to me to be perfectly honest with you. They are 21 jewel and the balance wheel looks correct for that model. Definitely not Rolex, they never made a rotor that looks like that. Almost all of them have horizontal slots in them, also red reversing wheels.

Here is my common sense estimate (not eBay/VRF prices) of what the parts are worth:

15000 case...$150 if not corroded around gasket area, $50 if corroded

Eta movement...$35 if balance/hairspring is Ok with no guarantee of recent service

Hands...$3, hour hand is doa and no telling about the other two

Spacer...$0 because, what does it fit?

Case clamp, screw etc...$1

Dial...$20 to $200, your guess is good as mine, worth very little if no dial feet for rolex 1530

All together...$200 max.

Why am I so cheap?

Because this is a small collection of parts, some good, some not so good, with an unknown dial.

Fyi...1002 etc no date cases have the same internal dimensions as a 5500 AK and can be used for 5500 AK Explorer projects. The 15000 case will accept a rolex 1570/75 date movement and opd dial as well as the original 3035 with opd dial. Will accept Eta 2836 with proper spacer. Bezel from 15000 will work on 5500.

Will also accept all the $$ you can throw at it. Ha!  :pimp:

• Like 1

If that Explorer dial is 27mm, it would be fairly easy to build a 5500 type Explorer.

If the eta movement was a 2846-2 that would be cool- it or a 2836-2 will fit in that case with the #2 rafflestime spacer

Set of Clark hands, service the eta and add a stem and it could be a nice build for not too much money provided you got the case and dial for a good price