When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's the DEAL on Reporting Reps on eBay?

superlative

In all seriousness;

Why do people report reps being sold as gens on eBay? The rep market is based on ripping off the designs of the gen makers (no denying this fact). Why get in such a huff over somebody trying to sell a rep as a gen? Does it make you justify your rep purchase so that your conscience doesn't bother you? I'm sure a lot of you tell your friends or acquaintances or strangers, "sure, it's a gen!" Perhaps the buyer of a rep on eBay should inform himself of the watches authenticity. Also, eBay and PayPal have policies to protect the buyer. Why make it your modus operandi?

In all seriousness;

Why do people report reps being sold as gens on eBay? The rep market is based on ripping off the designs of the gen makers (no denying this fact). Why get in such a huff over somebody trying to sell a rep as a gen? Does it make you justify your rep purchase so that your conscience doesn't bother you? I'm sure a lot of you tell your friends or acquaintances or strangers, "sure, it's a gen!" Perhaps the buyer of a rep on eBay should inform himself of the watches authenticity. Also, eBay and PayPal have policies to protect the buyer. Why make it your modus operandi?

Are you upset because you are afraid someone will catch YOU selling a rep as a gen?

By the way, anyone can tell anyone whatever story they want about their watch, it's up to them in the end,but SELLING A REP AS A GEN is a different story and should be condenned by all members . JMHO

No need to get accusatory flyr, my read on OP's slant is we buy and wear reps (and some do certainly pass off as gen)  so reps OK with us, why police the bay.  Yes we wear them and sure some white lies are told but we do not sell a 500 dollar piece for 5 k to the unknowing that is not saving money that is theft. In addition the guys here are uniquely qualified to spot the scammers. Who would know better than us, think even guys on Rolex forum know the latest upgrades/models, sure tells , go over dials to the umpteenth degree, know the crown guards inside out, I could go on. (I am not among this group of experts by the way)

So superlative here is the dirty little truth, we buy them we wear them but we selfishly watch for scammers because it would bring to much attention to what we do here. I think that is what you were fishing for.

MOAB,

Accusatory? maybe, but my take is different.

superlative said:

"Perhaps the buyer of a rep on eBay should inform himself of the watches authenticity. Also, eBay and PayPal have policies to protect the buyer. Why make it your modus operandi?"

I'm sorry? I'm all for "Caveat Emptor" and all,

but perhaps the OP overestimates the intellegence and expertese  of many ebay buyers.(most have no conception of how good reps can be, and why should they,their supposed to be buying a gen)

The OP basically stated it's OK to sell reps on ebay as gens(if you can get away with it) and it is the buyers fault if he is screwed(despite PP/ebay hopefully riding to the rescue,but only if the buyer figures out it is a rep in time), and we should look the other way and do nothing despite knowing it is a rep?

You are OK with this view ?(I know you are not)

But it seems the OP is OK with it.( and he wonders about our ethics?)

I wonder about his.

In all seriousness;

It's one thing to purchase a rep, and know it's fake.  No harm, no foul.  We only pay a few hundred bucks.

It's another thing to knowingly rip someone off thousands of dollars for something they think is genuine. 

Shouldn't that be obvious??

I agree. Buyin/selling a rep as a rep... Not a big deal. It's a really awesome thing that one might not otherwise ever afford.

Intentionally selling a rep as a gen, with the intent to profit... That's flat out lying and stealing. No good.

The folks who go on eBay looking to out people posing reps as a gen, are using their knowledge and experience to help people who would otherwise be scammed.

That's flat out lying and stealing. No good.

This is what Rolex, Omega, Panerai, Hublot, IWC, AP, Breitling et al would say about the Chinese rep makers.

All of you (including myself... cause I report fakes on eBay all the time) are simply trying to be the "good guy" when, in reality, we're no better whenever we buy a rep.

Edited by superlative

This is what Rolex, Omega, Panerai, Hublot, IWC, AP, Breitling et al would say about the Chinese rep makers.

All of you (including myself... cause I report fakes on eBay all the time) are simply trying to be the "good guy" when, in reality, we're no better whenever we buy a rep.

That's b.s. Selling a rep as a gen to an unsuspecting buyer is blatant theft. I'm not stealing anything from anyone buying reps, because I wouldn't buy the gen whether a rep of it existed or not.

Sent from my Lenovo A850 using Tapatalk 2

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"

Also, as has already been said, if you cannot understand the difference between being completely aware of buying and selling reps for their true (rep) value (us buying ans selling them to each other), and buying them for their rep value and selling them for gen value (ripping someone off on EBay), well, I'm at a loss what to say. This should be as obvious as the nose on ones face.

All due respect, but I have to disagree.  It's not illegal to purchase reps, at least not in the USA. 

+1 to every response our trusted members have given above.

Also, please remember, the first rule about Fight Club is... We do NOT talk about Fight Club.

Our members do not flaunt their reps at boutiques or ADs. We do not pop our heads up in gen forums bragging about our frankens or 1:1 builds. We do not poke the bear, and in exchange we buy, sell and trade in peace.

The last thing we want is to give the outside world a reason to pursue us. Counterfeit sales are the fastest path to this end.

Plus it's the gentlemanly thing to do, and in my experience this forum is sprouting gentlemen like mushrooms. Just sayin...

-----------------------------------------------------

Its been my "hobby" for the last 26 years ;)

Awesome analogy. You work in info sec Asci?

+1 to every response our trusted members have given above.

Also, please remember, the first rule about Fight Club is... We do NOT talk about Fight Club.

Our members do not flaunt their reps at boutiques or ADs. We do not pop our heads up in gen forums bragging about our frankens or 1:1 builds. We do not poke the bear, and in exchange we buy, sell and trade in peace.

The last thing we want is to give the outside world a reason to pursue us. Counterfeit sales are the fastest path to this end.

Plus it's the gentlemanly thing to do, and in my experience this forum is sprouting gentlemen like mushrooms. Just sayin...

Gee's wish I could put words together like that, cause that would be something Id LIKE to say.

Lotsa +1s

-----------------------------------------------------

Its been my "hobby" for the last 26 years ;)

Hell of a hobby my friend.

I've been designing software tools for incident response these last few years (I'm a scatter brained creative) and I have to say, you white hats could rule the world if you wanted to...

Cheers!