When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some help on a movement.

Mike on a bike

First off steel has already weighed in but my friend other RWG although uses steel for repairs and thinks he is top notch asked me to bring here to the tech center (they joke call us the sleepy knitting circle but when expertise is needed....... ;):notworthy: ..) to get more feedback. I personally took it as gospel coming from Micky but let's see what the rest of the think tank says.

IMG_6185_zps63164863.jpg

IMG_6182_zpsddde8d79.jpg

IMG_6183_zps8170bb3c.jpg

Swiss? in a pam 27b.

looks like a variant of the asian 21J, or A2892 (but I dont think 2892 have power reserve function).

They don't but the Soprod module is added to add the power reserve function. I'm not familiar enough with various movements though to be able to identify what this one is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on the pics it does look to be a 2892 variant, tbh it looks Asian but would need to get as close up to the escape wheel area as possible. From the pic posted I don't see any stamps there so that's what leads me to say Asian until proven swiss.

But then again I am viewing this on my iPhone....

:bangin:

I believe the absence of markings is another tip off. I didn't realize that the Seagull movements had no markings, but someone else told me a few days ago that they were looking at a movement in a watch that came from the factory with a Seagull movement , and it had no markings. Swiss ETa would definitely have the ETA stamp as well as the movement #.

Hey guys .... Thanks for all your help on this ... i bought it as a swiss a while ago so was selling it as swiss, obviously withdrawn for now, i will try to get some more mov't shots just in case but for now it looks like i'll take it as being not swiss.

TBH if it is a seagul i'm happier than if it's a clone eta as they are a decent reliable workhorse ..... this one ( whatever it is ) keeps really good time so it's not all bad  :)

Edited by baxter

It is a seagul movement

Just service a Perrelet Eve after sea bath and has the same movement with the same stamp by the balance wheel

Very good piece

Thanks for the clarification ........ pardon my ignorance is the power reserve a soprod module ?

Though I am no movement aficionado. I believe there are only 2 or 3 Variations of this model.  There are  the ETA 2892 versions EL/Neil/Hopno & later DSN and there were the A21J movement versions.

If this is a new Seagull movement based version where is it from?   Cos I ain't been seeing them yet ?

Because to my old eyes it looks like a DSN  version 

DSCF1009-1.jpg

This is an A Series with T Lume , Same Movement

PAM027-deficopiar.jpg

This is the Movement in the cheaper versions 

fd08ad33278c6c5f0c3a9ddae8d5d7a7.image.7

Ok.

This watch came from a longstanding member over on repgeek and it was stated as originally coming from DSN with swiss soprod.

i've taken the back off again to look at the markings and take shots with the rotor in different positions.

It certainly doesn't ( thankfully ) look like the cheap TT version but definitely the DSN version.

Markings here say : 

S1

1ACV

IMG_6426_zps1e3905f9.jpg

Here they are more visible : 2892A2

IMG_6425_zps359e33ea.jpg

IMG_6427_zps5b5cd80c.jpg

IMG_6428_zpsc829edbb.jpg

First pics up close Rolex , others had mentioned to me lack of markings w/ :confused: do you think that 2892A2 marking seals it?

Yes. Judging from the refined finishing of the 'cotes de geneve' and 'perlage' the movement is definitely Swiss. The 2892 alone in it's basic configuration does not have a PR module. This PR module is Swiss (SOPROD) and has not yet been copied by the Chinese. So I don't believe they put a SOPROD on a seagull or clone. I would find that very hard to believe and I have never come across such a mash up.... So without having the movement in my hands I would 99% sure say it's a Swiss 2892 with SOPROD.