When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking about this one.......thoughts?

Mike on a bike

I mentioned my reservations in regard to that in my posts as can go Tudor or Breitling instead .

If you want a good deal on a Gen watch and don't mind getting gently pre-owned one. Look into http://rolexforums.com/ Non-Rolex for sale classifieds section. There are few well respected dealers there and sometimes they have really nice deals. You just have to spend some time hunting around. Even if you want buy a new one, I'd still rather get it from one of the top guys there, as they often have brand new pieces for sale as well.

:)

Found this one here for £1672.79 all in, but I've never heard of the company, Page and Cooper? AJ have you heard of these guys? Anyone?

There are a lot on Chrono24 but the description is in German and my German is not good enough to figure out if they include tea or not (they all have it on the bezel)

Well I've just sold two cars so have readies floating round, it'd be rude not too :)

No Fraggle, not familiar with these guys.

AJ

Fraggle if going Sinn get the teg! Getting a Sinn without teg ,well what's the point.

Hey Mike, how would you compare the scratch resistance of teg to Seiko diashield, or Citizen duratect treatments?  Those two are super scratch resistant from all I can tell. 

Also, I really like watches with DLC treatments, but they seem to be all black.  I would love to find a great sub like diver with DLC on bracelet and case, maybe sapphire/ceramic insert, and of course sapphire crystal, without breaking the bank, haha!

i am not familiar with the hardness ratings on those but you can read the specs on Tegmented and compare. sinn also has superior case design with Copper sulphate capsule to prevent moisture as well as being sealed w/inert gas.

Thanks! Will check it out. 

Hey Mike, how would you compare the scratch resistance of teg to Seiko diashield, or Citizen duratect treatments?  Those two are super scratch resistant from all I can tell. 

Also, I really like watches with DLC treatments, but they seem to be all black.  I would love to find a great sub like diver with DLC on bracelet and case, maybe sapphire/ceramic insert, and of course sapphire crystal, without breaking the bank, haha!

Vegasvic found this:

"Super Titanium - A New Citizen Technology which is a combination of Titanium with Ion Plating rates 1200 on the Vickers scale - 5 times stronger than Stainless Steel."

Same Vickers rating as Sinn Tegmented for $179.00 no less it's a deal!   http://www.dutyfreeislandshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BM6460-59B

There are others look around.

Mike, I agree with merrickville, you need to enroll in Watchaholics Anonymous, post haste!! ;)

Seriously though, I agree with ifivco about the resale value but not only of ML but almost all the micro brands as well.Resale prices are horribly bad.  First off you have to work off the deeply discounted prices at the internet stores. For these watches, Suggested retail is a fantasy number. Second even with the deeply discounted prices, when you resell, you are gong to take a huge hit.  Over the years, I have bought a ton of watches in this and slightly higher price ranges, Maurice Lacroix, IWC, Oris, Breitling,Doxa and probably a few others that came and went so fast they didn't even register in my memory bank!! Of all these watches, only a couple have been bought new, the others were bought on TZ, WUS and the Rolex Forum (other brands). I have no problem with opening a box from another previous owner, rather than walking out of an AD with a new watch. Guys on those forums  are just like us, they are terminal flippers. What is nice is for the most part like us they are knowledgable enough to make sure that they keep all the papers, boxes, etc., so you are getting a practically new watch for at least 25-30% less than the discounted new price.

I know that you love to do research, and if I were you, I would visit those forums, use their search to see if anything you are interested in is for sale, and look at the prices. I have also found that when a watch is listed at the high end of normal, it tends to linger, especially if it's a not so popular or well known brand. Often the owners will reduce the prices and it eventually sells, but some neglect to lower the prices, and sometimes and email with a reasonable price will be accepted. All they can say is no, no harm in dickering a little, or a lot!! 

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about

Maurice Lacroix Calendre Retrograde

List price 7500.00 USD

Best price I could find 3350.00 USD

My price almost two years ago 1425.00 USD

post-327-0-53088100-1399218669_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-34688400-1399218693_thumb.jpg

"You know if you buy from certain online dealers (Watchery, World of Watches, Joma, ETC) you get 30 days to return no restock fee put on bill me later no money put out  or no interest W/ 6 months to pay.. So no $ out of pocket try it on ,no like send back 6-8 bucks shipping they credit Bill Me later no cost there. Some go out buy the Rep to try out I get the Gen ,much cheaper and it is the actual watch!"

Posted this another thread on that flyback I bought, went back. So did the other the Glycine Men's Incursore Chronograph and the Clerc, guy did not have right links so again back it went. In the case of the Clerc I would have been the recipient of those significant resale loses  you speak, wish he had the links. Using the above method and searching high and low for those deep internet discounts Panerai153 referenced is my modus operandi.  I keep my outlay to zero and loses to minimum.