When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen ?

monffo

Hello all,

I'm hoping for your expert opinion on a purchase matter. After nearly 15 years I have finally taken the plunge and decided to buy my grail watch, a GMT Master 16710.

I have found the watch I want and am happy with the price I have negotiated. It is a Z series from 2006 and the guy ( a dealer) lives about a two hour drive away from me. Fortunately there is an official Rolex dealer in the town where he is located and he was more than happy to go with me to Rolex to have the watch authenticated before I part with my money. It seems to me that I'm never going to get more assurance than this but I would welcome your input and comments on these photos.

Very excited.

Thanks.

e3aju2eq.jpg

unapydad.jpg

upyje4am.jpg

e5ezyjeb.jpg

• 1 month later...

2006! That means you could be due for a service. I always figure a service when I buy a gen Rolex that's been used for however long. It would be a good idea to ask the seller if he knows anything about the service history.

If it's running COSC, you may not have to get it serviced right away.

But the watch looks good! Congrats!

• Like 1

2006! That means you could be due for a service. I always figure a service when I buy a gen Rolex that's been used for however long. It would be a good idea to ask the seller if he knows anything about the service history.

If it's running COSC, you may not have to get it serviced right away.

But the watch looks good! Congrats!

+1

This is very important, i have a few gen vintage rolex watches. All of them i bought fully serviced, its kinda bum, if service is the first thing you will have to do.

+1

This is very important, i have a few gen vintage rolex watches. All of them i bought fully serviced, its kinda bum, if service is the first thing you will have to do.

Right!! A full service right off the bat would turn a maybe pretty good deal into a "so-so" deal. You finally get that gen you have been craving for years, and before you get to really enjoy it, it's gone for 3 months and you are out a bunch of bucks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 months? Forget RSC. Aren't there other smiths who can do a service, such as Bob Ridley or that company in Los Angeles that all the vintage guys on TRF send their watches to? The odds of a circa 2006 3185 or 3186 needing parts is low, right? So really it's just a cleaning, regulating, grease the seals, polish her up, give her a pat on the butt and send her home. Anyone who services Rolex movements can do that, right? I don't think it has to be RSC.

• 2 weeks later...