When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rappers getting called out on their fake watches!

cosmosblau

What if someone knowingly purchases a rep, wears it accordingly, but doesn't try to pass it off as a gen (ie if someone asks, they say it's a rep), is it really wrong?

If someone looked at my PO and said, "Hey, that's a fake!", my first reaction would be to say, "Ya, it is!.....and?" If you admit it right away, they have nothing to come back with. It's like when a celebrity is rumoured to have had a boob job and they vehemently deny it (looking right at you, Tori Spelling!). If they were honest and admitted it right away, the newspapers would not really have much of a comeback.

Same with reps. Who cares ? Just enjoy them for what they are

I have my REP collection because *I* enjoy them and wear them for my own pleasure.  I have no interest in flaunting them or passing them off as GENs.   When someone points out my watch, I don't offer details either way unless I'm asked.   Just this morning, a co-worker looked at my PAM Bronzo and said "nice watch!"   I said "thanks!" and left it at that.  no need to make a big deal about it.

What if someone knowingly purchases a rep, wears it accordingly, but doesn't try to pass it off as a gen (ie if someone asks, they say it's a rep), is it really wrong?
If someone looked at my PO and said, "Hey, that's a fake!", my first reaction would be to say, "Ya, it is!.....and?" If you admit it right away, they have nothing to come back with. It's like when a celebrity is rumoured to have had a boob job and they vehemently deny it (looking right at you, Tori Spelling!). If they were honest and admitted it right away, the newspapers would not really have much of a comeback.

Same with reps. Who cares ? Just enjoy them for what they are

You mean like nearly all of us here? :)

Haters will always hate. If it's not fake watches they'll find something or someone else.

I have my REP collection because *I* enjoy them and wear them for my own pleasure.  I have no interest in flaunting them or passing them off as GENs.   When someone points out my watch, I don't offer details either way unless I'm asked.   Just this morning, a co-worker looked at my PAM Bronzo and said "nice watch!"   I said "thanks!" and left it at that.  no need to make a big deal about it.

Spot on, mate! You illustrate my point exactly.

I would also believe that the vast majority of people wouldn't know the significance, value or history of a Panerai anyway (hopefully my Nood PAM111 will be here next week!), same with others such as Patek Phillippe, AP, A Lange& Sohne, etc. To them, it's just a nice looking watch. As for the rappers, "it's all about the bling!", so I reckon they don't care. As long as it looks good, that's all that matters to them,  fake diamonds and all (although Jay Z is an avid collector of real APs, as I read a great article about his collection). If they aren't trying to pass it off as a gen, who are they hurting? For all we know, they may have purchased the watch as a gen and have been ripped off, but they want to save face.

I think we're all on the same wavelength here. Any boasting about their watches is always meant in good fun and pseudo-bravado (at least that's how I interpret it) and for the most part, other people are even complimentary on their choices. Everyone seems to take pride in their collections here, whether it's one or a hundred, and encourages people to extend this hobby. Many of the reps that are coming out are brilliant pieces of jewellery, and unless someone carries around a jeweller's loupe (anyone?), very few people are going to know, and even fewer will even care. They will just know that the watch looks good, and that Patek you're wearing was probably found next to the Timex watches at K-mart ;-)

Just my two cents' worth....

DD

I'm with you on this one!