When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836-2 Re-assembly Is Something Broken?

Big Dazza

Hi guys please chime in with some advice or ideas here:

I was taking apart a working ETA 2836 clone to self teach the workings of an ETA 2836 movement. I managed to re-assemble it and got it working perfectly apart from it stopped at exactly the same time each time I left it running, not an issue I took it apart again and found there was a small particle on one of the gears causing it to jam and stop at the same position each time.

I re-assembled the movement again and this time found that when I wind the movement manually it discharges itself straight away, unwinding the mainspring barrel and turning the intermediate wheel, third wheel and second wheel rapidly. 

Have I broken a jewel somewhere or done something silly? I have looked everywhere for damage and cant see anything out of the ordinary.

The only other thing is your pallet fork is allowing the escapement to release the power reserve.  Check that the Shellac's are still there on the pallet fork itself.

here's what I would do:

1) remove all power from the mainspring (assuming this is already the case)

2) remove the balance

3) then wind the watch and see if the pallet fork is doing its job

4) test the pallet fork but pushing it from one side to another, the pallet fork should "jump" to one side and another which pushes.

• Like 1

Are both shellac's still in their correct positions in the pallet fork?  Post a photo.  If the shellac's are there, then you maybe looking at a broken pallet fork pinion, or even cracked top or bottom jewel caused by incorrect fitting/reassembly.

I swapped the pallet fork and voila it runs again! Must be a very small problem with the other pallet fork. But guess what now I have a new problem! 

Now I cant manually wind the movement when the crown is set to the winding position it just spins round without catching. At the movement the autowinding bridge is off and everything looks to be in the right place, the keyless works are fine and I can set the time fine and the stem itself is fine as it works ok on another movement, I'm stumped! Definitely not easy playing around with these movements.

Have I done another stupid thing? :(

Go back to the keyless works and make sure u push the u shaped spring over to the side of the little metal piece,(sorry, no picture and I'm too lazy to look up the name of the parts) it is spring action and when u push the stem in and out to change date or time , it helps push the arm up and down

Sound alike you may have to renew some if not all of the keyless components.  If any of them are out of shape, however little, they will not work together as they should.

Ok I found the problem I used a screw which was too long for the balance [censored] and it protruded into the keyless area and stopped some parts from engaging but turns out the problem I had with the power reserved releasing itself is still there :S

Maybe a broken jewel? It seems odd that the power reserve releases itself and just unwinds?

On closer inspection there was a pallet stone which was slightly out of position causing the power reserve to be released. Movement is now running! :)

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm loving the 'I broke it but now I've fixed it' feeling!

• Like 1

That's the way I'm learning to repair my watches. Actually, I'm learning two things; 1: not to be a gorilla with the movement, and 2: how to fix the broken movement after being said gorilla!

And YES! It does feel good!

Yea 99% of the times something goes wrong. I think I need to source a new pallet fork as one of the pallets is loose and I also need a new balance [censored] assembly but the complete balance [censored] is not available anymore?

Yea 99% of the times something goes wrong. I think I need to source a new pallet fork as one of the pallets is loose and I also need a new balance [censored] assembly but the complete balance [censored] is not available anymore?

Hey 'D' get your self some shellac and fix the stone yourself!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6g-SHELLAC-jewels-watch-pallet-stones-roller-jewel-watchmakers-repairs-vintage-/191093125019?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item2c7e09af9b

Congrats with getting stuck in there and having a go ;)