When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP Factory Submariner (No Date) Disaster

frost

So I picked up a ceramic Submariner (No Date) from a TD not too long ago, and it was fine for a week or so before I started having problems, those being:

1. The crown clutch failed, and the watch no longer winds. I understand this is a very common failure in reps and most people replace the crown and tube. I'd have no problem with this if I were convinced that all other features of the watch were in order.

2. The bezel was extremely stiff when trying to turn. I found some information about removing and cleaning a dirty bezel. The watch I purchased from the TD was reported to be a 1:1 replica, completely compatible with genuine parts. After removing the bezel I quickly learned this was not the case. The bezel came off ALONG WITH THE CRYSTAL, and I found 4 sloppily drilled holes with spring / bolt assemblies.that kept it in place. There's NO WAY this is water resistant enough to wash your hands with it on.

The movement seems OK, as it's simple with no date function. Not sure what other flaws will present themselves. I have no choice but to send this back. Any comments? This is my 3rd watch from the "BP Factory" and all 3 have had major problems. Any comments?

post-62323-0-91466900-1400940061_thumb.j

post-62323-0-71438100-1400940087_thumb.j

Sorry to read about your bad luck. But you clearly don't know about what is and isn't true to gen. The BP bezel assembly is 100% the same. Only problem is most people (even watchmakers) don't know how the different parts interact and therefor have no clue how to assemble it. Popping the bezel off is 1 thing....

Sorry to read about your bad luck. But you clearly don't know about what is and isn't true to gen. The BP bezel assembly is 100% the same. Only problem is most people (even watchmakers) don't know how the different parts interact and therefor have no clue how to assemble it. Popping the bezel off is 1 thing....

I appreciate your reply. What are your thoughts on the assembly of this piece? I don't claim to be any expert in the matter, but judging solely on the shoddy looking drill points, I'd say we've got a problem here. I assumed the glass wasn't supposed to come off with the bezel based on youtube videos I had found.

Removing the bezel will all so remove the retaining ring... Thereby only leaving the crystal and the gasket; which will immediate fall off since there is no longer any compression. This is the same as gen. The challenge is putting it all back together.

I don't recall seeing any retaining ring or gasket. When I removed the bezel, the crystal came off with the bezel attached in one piece. The drill holes in the head look sloppy as hell to me. I don't have a disassembled gen for comparison, but I can't imagine that this assembly is authentic, or even remotely accurate.

I don't recall seeing any retaining ring or gasket. When I removed the bezel, the crystal came off with the bezel attached in one piece. The drill holes in the head look sloppy as hell to me. I don't have a disassembled gen for comparison, but I can't imagine that this assembly is authentic, or even remotely accurate.

This is how the gen is designed. None of us can make you believe this is the case, but it's true. The retaining ring and crystal gasket are still inside the bezel assembly (the "bezel" itself is just the part with the teeth).

I don't see any "disaster" here: you have a $25 repair you need to make, replacing the rep crown with a TC crown and tube which is more accurate anyway. Fix the watch and enjoy it.

Edited by sneed12

I did a build of a blue sub-C on the BP case about a year ago (before BP started offering the blue model) here's a pic of everything torn down

IMG_1869_zps6ae746c2.jpg

Your bezel assembly, gasket, and retaining ring are all stuck together.

It's not uncommon to have everything come off together with a gen either.

I can put it back together for you. You mentioned 4 holes, were there springs in the holes, or did you lose them when you took it off. You have to remove the insert, seperate the retainer from the bezel. Then, Install your crystal and gasket. Here is what you need to know. The bezel goes on first. THEN press your retainer, with the lip up, on over the bezel. Before you put the bezel on, be sure your ball and springs are in place. Press the retainer down, cking the tightness of the bezel rotation and you press. When the bezel has the right amount of resistance to suit you, install the insert. Your done.

I can put it back together for you. You mentioned 4 holes, were there springs in the holes, or did you lose them when you took it off. You have to remove the insert, seperate the retainer from the bezel. Then, Install your crystal and gasket. Here is what you need to know. The bezel goes on first. THEN press your retainer, with the lip up, on over the bezel. Before you put the bezel on, be sure your ball and springs are in place. Press the retainer down, cking the tightness of the bezel rotation and you press. When the bezel has the right amount of resistance to suit you, install the insert. Your done.

Listen to the man, he definitely knows what he is doing.

Gents, first off thank you all for your replies. I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and attempts to further educate me. Clearly I have a lot to learn.

This is how the gen is designed. None of us can make you believe this is the case, but it's true. The retaining ring and crystal gasket are still inside the bezel assembly (the "bezel" itself is just the part with the teeth).

I don't see any "disaster" here: you have a $25 repair you need to make, replacing the rep crown with a TC crown and tube which is more accurate anyway. Fix the watch and enjoy it.

I over-reacted, and appreciate your input. I can't believe that's the design, but apparently it is. What's the best way to pick up a TC crown and tube for this particular model? Please forgive my ignorance.

Matt, thank you for your reply. I didn't lose any of the springs when I opened it. I basically put them back in and pressed the piece I removed back on top. The bezel remains very difficult to rotate. Based on what you mention here, that can be adjusted. I've done some minor work before (removed and locktite'd pushers on an IWC 3777), so I'm not entirely useless (I hope). I'm going to try to attempt this myself. Any how-to's out there that you're familiar with?

Guest mikemcnair

Matt is absolutely on point, and I'd like to add that a bezel that is tough to turn is FAR SUPERIOR to a rattly, blown by the wind turning bezel.

I'd LOVE a bezel that was plain locked in place! (Yes, I have glued bezels in place, I know I know, it's not "accurate".... But I've done it to gens ;) )

Frankly, no disaster here my man, looks like a nice piece. Reassemble, fix the quirk, and wear her proud!