When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which crystal press for an MBW 5513 retaining ring?

ldegeneve

I'm going to attempt replacing the crystal on mine. I've done the hockey pock thing but I'd like to make a bit less slapdash.

Would something like this be ok?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watchmaker-Tool-Watch-Press-Set-Back-Case-Closer-Crystal-Glass-Fitting-18-50mm-/151309974980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233ac6fdc4

That might work okay for a service dome crystal.

I used hockey pucks forever, and decided to get formal about doing this "the right way".  So I bought a kit and right away ran into trouble.

I prefer Superdome crystals and my kit didn't have a "cup" deep enough to fit over the crystal and push the ring down.  The crystal was too tall and the cup was too shallow.

So I went to the plumbing supply store and bought some white PVC end caps used to seal pipe.  These are the ones with the flat hexagonal heads.  I tried a bunch of different sizes, and found the 1-1/4" cap fit best (for a tropic-39 which has ~ the same diameter as a tropic-19).

I cut the cap down to an overall height of about 3/4" then drilled a hole in the center of the flat end so it could attach to my tool.

All seemed well BUT.... my tool had a little rubber "foot" that pressed against the caseback as I crammed the retaining ring on.  A thin caseback (like my 1675) was easily bent, and I did ... I dented in my caseback.  

So another new approach, I used a "cup" on the top to fit down over the crystal and push on the retaining ring, and I used another "cup" on the back to fit the perimeter of the caseback.  

With that arrangement I could summon the powers of Thor and install the retaining ring like it's supposed to be.

Afterthoughts:  two frozen hockey pucks with drilled holes would have worked better and not dented in my caseback.

i could never get a crystal press to work correctly with fitting tropics on vintage subs

also the mbk retaining rings are a little tighter with after market crystals. dont buy the WSO theyre the wrong outer diameter

ive always just used this setup here and it works 100% no guessing whether its water tight after this press

6950916963_59e4d6a872_b.jpg