When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sector crapware meditation

GenTLe

Hi Gents,
some time ago I found around in my house a Sector watch, model Expander, from 1992.

Like this but with SS bracelet:

012acf4bf5d49f224d22e752d410a417_big.jpg

It is quartz based chrono and I remember I paid it around 420.000 Italian Liras, which, recalculated through the official currency revaluation tables are now corresponding to 370€ (or to 500US$).

It was a bit oxidated so I decided to open it, polish the bezel, the case, clean the movement etc etc.
I've found out that its movement is a Miyota 0S60 - No jewels.

When I bought it I was around 18yo and didn't know anything about watches, so just went for the look (which is changed: now I'd not like such design) and the brand (at that point Sector was on the trend, thanks to advert campaign similar to current red-bull ones - his main iconic man was Patrick de Gayardon).

Well, now, looking at it, I can just get how big was the gain for the company and how small was the value for money...
That stuff is really a piece of crap... For same money now you can get an automatic mechanic watch with Japanees 28.8kBph, assembled and quality controlled in Germany...

And again, looking into the shop windows of most of the jewlry here around, all I see is craps stuff like Morellato, Miss Sixty, Just Cavalli -> brand-only devices.

On a side it's sad that nowadays all is purely driven by "look".
On the other side, I'm more and more happy with my Reps that, when properly working, are a real value for money! :-)

What I wanted to say? Dunno... But I wrote something and I wanted to share  :partytime:

Ciao,
GenTLe

All nicely said. I too in 1990 wanted so badly a sector watch but could not afford it then. I look at them now and I am glad I didn't have the money then. It would have been a waste. I was only 16.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I have a couple of Sector watches that I have bought or traded as used on the M2M forum at WUS, and they all get worn rather regularly in rotation with my others. The first one that I picked up was for looks and the complications only, but it grew on me a lot > the SGE 650, which in the early 90's was one of their high end pieces. It worked great for me for many years, but since the mech finally wore out, it has been really hard to find a replacement mech for it (uses a Ronda mech that is no longer in production, and features 5 hands on the central pinion, including a GMT hand and a hand to track the 52 weeks of the year, all displayed on the outside perimeter). This variation of the model was replaced with a regular chronograph in the mid 90's, and not many in this variation come up on the net. Aside from that, I have two of their newer early 2000's divers, like the 600 and Ocean Master, which both use Swiss chronos and perform as they should. All in all, nice fit and finish, and not too bad for being bought second hand market for just over $100 each.

I always liked Sector dive style watches and bought a few 15 or 18 years ago and wore them for a few years with no trouble at all. 

Time flew by and I bought another one a couple years back, nos chronograph with steel case and plastic strap that screws to the case similar to an omega cosmic. After looking it over, it seems they have dropped the ball...the box probably cost more to make than the watch.  

If I run across it I will post the model number.