When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

21j With Power Reserve?

mog

I'm still learning so apologies if this is a dumb question or it has been covered elseswhere (i really did use the search facility, honest!).

I get the impression that the Asian 21J seems to be a pretty good movement for your money, but how do they fair when used with power reserve? How does the power reserve indicator actually work?

I have a few Asian power reserve models, VC, Pam, etc.

Have all been reliable.

As the watch is wound, either by crown or motion, the indicator goes up telling you it has the relative indicated reserve power.

Same here.

Just, it may happen that the power reserve gauge on the dial does not perfectly fit the actual power reserve of the movement: you may run out of power when the power indicator still points at 10 (or even 15) hours.

This is due to the need for a close-with-gen dial, not to a flaw or fault in the 21J PR module.

Not a great issue, though: once you are aware of it, you also know how to behave with it.

:blink:

I'm afraid we are speaking of different movements.

The Asian 21J is actually a copy of the Miyota 8215, not of the ETA 2893.

And the ETA 2893 is not a PR movement, but a GMT movement.

His PR brother is the 2892-A2.

I'm afraid we are speaking of different movements.

To my knowledge the 2892-A2 does noes not have a power reserve function by default. The power reserve function is added to the movement by installing a soprod power reserve module.

So what I am hearing is that the an additional power reserve module is added to the movement to give it the PR feature and generally they seem to work fine.

I have been looking at the same PAM 090 as you 2005SUB, but I can't really justify the expense of any of the Eta ones. :(

As it is I haven't told the wife yet about the B&R winging its way to me for Christmas! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

To my knowledge the 2892-A2 does noes not have a power reserve function by default. The power reserve function is added to the movement by installing a soprod power reserve module.

The 2892-A2 is a 2892 with the added PR module. Therefore, the 2892-A2 is PR by definition.

So what I am hearing is that the an additional power reserve module is added to the movement to give it the PR feature and generally they seem to work fine.

I have been looking at the same PAM 090 as you 2005SUB, but I can't really justify the expense of any of the Eta ones. :(

As it is I haven't told the wife yet about the B&R winging its way to me for Christmas! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hey you would love the 090 with the seagull movement .

165396-11202.jpg

165396-11203.jpg

165396-11204.jpg

A little knowledge, and all that....

The 'Asian 21J' movement in question for power reserve reps IS the Seagull ST-25 which is a modified version of the ST-18 which is a blatant rip-off of the ETA2892 - so blatant that dealers here sell have sold them as 2892s and buyers here happily purchase them. There have been unconfirmed reports that the ST-18 is the result of a (terminated) licence agreement to build ETA parts in China. The ST-18 isn't constructed as well (some rivets used instead of screws), but as Marickville Boy discovered - the parts are almost fully interchangeable.

The ST-25 has a slightly different bridge arrangement and the power reserve module, but otherwise it is 'a copy' of the 2892 with Soprod PR. The ETA2892-A2 is just a variant of the 2892 and doesn't have power reserve function as standard.

Asian 21J means no more than Swiss 25J (ie. you can't tie that description down to any specific movement).

The 'Asian 21J' movement in question for power reserve reps IS the Seagull ST-25...

While the movement posted by 2005submariner is no doubt a Seagull ST-25, mog started this thread asking about the Asian 21J. And the movement usually called 'Asian 21J' IS actually used on power reserve reps, as you can see from these pics of my (TTK's) 027 movement:

165758-11066.jpg

165758-11067.jpg

165758-11068.jpg

You are naturally free to call 'Asian 21J' any movement you like, but this won't help in avoiding possible misunderstandings.

And in facts, as I already suggested, we were talking about different movements.

While the movement posted by 2005submariner is no doubt a Seagull ST-25, mog started this thread asking about the Asian 21J. And the movement usually called 'Asian 21J' IS actually used on power reserve reps, as you can see from these pics of my (TTK's) 027 movement:

You are naturally free to call 'Asian 21J' any movement you like, but this won't help in avoiding possible misunderstandings.

And in facts, as I already suggested, we were talking about different movements.

Fair enough, but Mog went on to talk about the PAM 090 rep and my info relates to the specific movement used in that watch.

TBH I wasn't aware of the PR movement with the layout you show.

A little knowledge and all that.....:thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 month later...