When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Caseback Opener Putty

Big Dazza

Hey guys just wanted to share a type of firm putty I found which I use to open up screw type casebacks.

I found the advantages were:

Doesnt scratch the casebacks (pretty important for fussy people like myself)

Works far better than the Horb balls because you can squish the putty down onto the caseback and it gives it a better surface to surface contact and since the putty is slightly sticky it grips well to the caseback

No need for special dies for Rolex or Breitling casebacks

2014-06-10140740_zps08723a5e.jpg

2014-06-10140753_zps72a953b8.jpg

2014-06-10141011_zps9bce4e38.jpg

2014-06-10141120_zps11a3e8c3.jpg

So far I've managed to open all the watches I have that are the screw down type casebacks and found it very useful for checking if the movement is the movement stated in the watch or general watch repair. What do you guys think?

I've asked Nanuq for his blessing and can offer this to members. See sales section please.

Its like a sticky firm putty that you roll into a ball, you press it against the caseback firmly so it moulds to the caseback shape, then grab the putty and twist anticlockwise and the friction between the putty and the caseback grips enough to turn the caseback :)

Yea its kind of like rodico putty but firmer and slightly sticky.

I found that the screwballs dont work all that well unless the caseback isn't screwed tightly to begin with. I had a one of the balls and it never worked that well.

I find there's a slight technique to using the balls.

Take the ball so about 2/3rds or 3/4 of it is in your hand, use your fingertips to squeeze the remaining ball so that you get a small bulge out of the bottom of it, press this onto the back and turn.

Without doing this i've found that too much of the ball touches the case, lugs, crown, and it doesn't work to unscrew the back.

• Like 1

I find there's a slight technique to using the balls.

Take the ball so about 2/3rds or 3/4 of it is in your hand, use your fingertips to squeeze the remaining ball so that you get a small bulge out of the bottom of it

LoL

Duct tape doubled over works really well - read about this technique on one of the forums.

A guy mentioned that he uses duct tape to open all his watches.

He visited a jeweler one day who was having difficulty unscrewing the back of a watch.

The guy went to his truck, grabbed some duct tape, back inside the shop and opened the watch.

Jeweler was amazed, so the guy hands him the roll of duct tape on his way out the door.

Funny story.

Edited by Eschenpod