When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New toy for the collection comes from Poland! :-)

GenTLe

My wife is Polish.

She loves history, she is really proud of her nationality (more or less like all the Polish friends I have), and she's pretty sharp in her tastes.

Don't ask me how, as she's not in the watches hobby at all, but she discovered something and started to push me to get it.

I have to say that when she firstly told me about a "Polish watch" I was a bit doubtful... Then I searched a bit about this brand and what I've discovered was damn awesome.

From this incredible thread "http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/g-gerlach-made-poland-642051.html", written by one of the guy that founded the brand:

"This is a story of an idea.
The idea was, to have a watch that suits all of my needs and concepts. To let it be perfect, in any part and step of its life – from a drawing to the product. To be worth mentioning, as it shows something special and unusual. The only way to own this kind of timepiece – is to make it.

I have found friends that share the same views. Now we can help each other, encouraging ourselves to make something worth doing. We have established a foundation, that can, and will, help the others to make their dreams come true. To develop precision mechanics, design school. To clear the paths for many others enthusiasts that will follow. To encourage them, to help them. Keeping them solving the challenges, and to challenge the reality that „it can not be done”. It can be done, it is done, and it will be done even better in a future."

Another bit of G. Gerlach watches is made by the historical references. They too are very proud to be Polish. They look back in their history. And the watch they do are all linked to some part of Poland history (Navy, aviation, car industry etc)

Even the name itself comes from history: "We chose our patron to be a Polish industrialist, who has produced measuring equipment and manometers of highest quality in his factory." You can read more about him here: http://gerlach.org.pl/our_patron.html

As all their first models were in limited series and numbered, the one that firstly caught my wife's attention was already gone: 100 pieces all already sold.

It was this one:

36_m_303_01.jpg 36_n_303_05.jpg

It was a tribute to the No. 303 Polish Fighter Squadron (within Royal Air Force fighting against Nazis in the 2nd WW) -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Polish_Fighter_Squadron

Therefore her attention was forced into a tribute to the M/S Batory, that was a large (14,287 BRT) ocean liner of the Polish merchant fleet, built in Cantieri Riuniti dell'Adriatico Monfalcone Shipyard in Trieste, Italy (so I'm also getting involved as I'm Italian) and launched in 1935. It also took wide part in 2nd world war. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Batory

Not to add that she's from the "three cities" of the Pomerania region (Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia), and the M/S Batory was going from Gdynia port...

So I'm writing about a Marine watch, 40mm (diameter) by 47mm (lug-to-lug) and 14mm thick. Powered by a SeaGull ST2526, Class AAA, with grained plates and stained in blue screws.

Sapphire glass with AR coating, 316L SS case, porcelain dial and ion plated hands (no lume anywhere).

Ah, and big date complication :-)

So here we are (picture from G. Gerlach web site as the watch has been purchased today on the web, so it will arrive in at least a week):

24_n_msBatory_05.jpg 24_o_msBatory_06.jpg 1445349d1396647189-g-gerlach-batory-v-ha

And finally the price.

Guys, it comes for 1199Zl (Polish Zloty), which means 292€ or 395US$  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:

I'm happy :-)

And, if you wanna see something else from them (they have amazing models), give a look here: http://gerlach.org.pl/list_of_gerlach_watches.html

Hey Mike,

I think he has an eBay store where you can purchase directly from G. Gerlach. Reasonable intl. shipping, not sure how much of his stock is listed but it's worth a look for sure.

Love that pilot you from your first post too!

2 days ago, just after the PayPal has processed the payment, I sent them a mail asking if it was possible to have a shipping tracking nr.

Today I got a mail from one of G. Gerlach guys telling me "...Your watch is being assembled right now. Then it will be tested and, on Monday, shipped"

So special to known that it's not just a stock piece but that some fellow is building it for you :):)

Edited by GenTLe