When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Couple Gilt Early 1016 Dials for Your Approval

jmb

Here are pics of some Gilt 1016 dials I can get pretty reasonable.  I'm trying to negotiate a minimum order of less than 100.  The markers and numerals on these are a bit on the "fat" side as was the white dial but after looking at the $300 early 1016 dial on NDT's site I think this is on par with it and will be well over $200 cheaper...  I haven't checked the lume on the Gilt samples yet but on my white sample it is exceptional, for a rep, and will last most of the night when charged for a few seconds with an LED flashlight...

post-24124-0-81880300-1402541404_thumb.j

post-24124-0-28859100-1402541417_thumb.j

Definitely budget, depending on how many I commit to they will be under $50.  I have been looking for an "affordable" vintage Explorer dial for folks to be able to build a decent Explorer without breaking the bank for 4 years.  This is the best I have been able to come up with staying within the budget.  With this dial someone should be able to put together a half-way decent looking Explorer for under $300 depending on movement cost...  

Not all gilt are glossy, but I think all chapter rings are...

I think they're an ok base for a starter. At this point in the rep game, I am pretty much only satisfied with a gen dial (as I'm sure others are) but for a newby this would be a good chance for them to get their feet wet.

Well, my goal was not to find a $50 dial that would make a "macro-lover" drool but to find something that someone who had always wanted a Vintage Explorer but couldn't afford/justify $400+ could use to build up something that looked "reasonable".

Right - that's what I was saying. Good dial for a starter to see if they even like the style/size of a 1016. I remember the first rep I bought was a 1680 and decided I never wanted a cyclops on a dive watch. I sure am glad I figured that out with a $125 rep instead of a $500+ MBW. Different goals for different levels.

My thoughts exactly.  I am going to take one of the gilt dials, spray with gloss clear, and then "dull" the markers and see what it looks like.  

I requested that the numbers and markers be "slimmed" a bit and I just got an e-mail from my supplier telling me that it would be too expensive.  I have committed to 20 dials so we'll see what happens.  These are "rep" dials and not rep dials disguised as "refinished" gen dials so there will be no clipping and gluing needed.  The only clipping involved will be the removal of the unwanted feet as they come with feet for ETA and a21j - I like that!

• 3 weeks later...