When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Strap Would You Recommend?

bruce79

Now that I have aquired my last pam, 112h :wub: , I need a fitting strap to compliment it. I've owned a few straps (couple of Europellis & several TCs) over the last year or so but haven't really had one that I absolutely loved. I only plan on having one so I really want to get a good, quality strap.

I've been doing some researching and browsing and have really taken a liking to Manifatture Firenze straps, in particular the Vacchetta Light Brown Calf. I think it's a very classic looking strap, quality, and pretty reasonable $$$wise. Any thoughts?

Also, what are your thoughts on 24/24 vs. 24/22? I don't have a preference but don't really know if one is more historically correct than the other. The first strap I owned was a 24/22 Europelli brown distressed calf strap and it has been my favorite...rich smell, soft & comfortable, great patina. :) At any rate, I'm looking for a good strap up to about $150. Any suggestioins? Pics would be superb ^_^ thanks

Edit::: changed title so as to welcome suggestions for all straps. :)

i have a MF strap on my 47. I love it.

But, let me suggest that maybe if your only going to get one and your willing to spend 100 bucks - why not have aaron/ hktan build a custom one for you to your specs.

Personally i have gotten the mignatta straps from V - he had them custom made, they are SUPER thick and that really makes a HUGE difference. I would never sell these.

Its hard for me to look at any other straps now that i'm used to the super thick ones. its like trying to wear a daydate when your used to pams :)

Apparently the straps V is offering right now only come in reg. length, I need long. <_< With respect to thickness, I like thick straps but not too thick. There was some debate a while back about MF straps not being thick enough, only 3mm-4mm. The Toscana I have now is 5mm and is plenty thick for me but I'd like to keep it between 4mm-5mm. Anythink more and it seems like it'd be too bulky, the Crazy Horse is a beautiful strap but might be too thick for my taste. And I have 8.5" wrist. The first Europelli I had was probably around 3.5-4mm and worked well with the 111 I had it on.

In my opinion the MF strap and buckle combo 24/24 made my rep look and feel more gen (compared to it's old BOB). However I wasn't happy about all the extra cost shipping and tax smacked me with :(

The MF is thinner than the BOB's for example but no probs with it.

Waiting for an HKTan for another project, but heard top things about V's straps.

Here's my "MF Tobacco Buffalo leather strap with buckle (white stitch)"

165361-11213.jpg

Edited by pannylovernr1

I have an MF black buffalo as well and I love it. I think MF is a good investment and the colour of the light brown Vachetta looks stunning. If I were you, that would be the one I go for as well. 24/24mm would not only be historically correct, it looks better as well imo. Plus the sewn in 'gpf' style buckle is always a plus for me.

One down side is the thickness bit, but I can live with it. I used to think 'the thicker the better' but now I am pretty much settled in 4-5mm, anymore is just an overkill. I think MF is about 3mm thick.

Good luck.

Their may be hundreds to choose from but most of the pictures the dealers use in their display adds and web pages suck big time. I always look to the members here to post their pictures with their watches plus wrist shots before I believe I can get a good feeling if I will like the strap or not. I have bought way too many basd on the poor pics and have been sadly disapporinted when it arrived.

I have been looking for a black strap for a while now and the poor dealer pics makes this very difficult with poor lighting or being too dark.

Members, please keep this thread going and add some of your best pics if you have them.

Usil

Edited by Usil

I went back and forth for a while as to whether I wanted a Black on Black Cordovan from Europelli or the Black Baseball Glove. I went with my first instinct and ordered the Shell yesterday,(pictures to come) but I wonder, how do you feel about straps with a matte finish to go with the "shinyness" of the 111's of the world? I liked the Baseball, but decided to go with the shine of the Shell to go with the SS of the 111. I guess its personal preference as the distressed look is probably more casual, but I know that I'm getting the football strap as well.

I went back and forth for a while as to whether I wanted a Black on Black Cordovan from Europelli or the Black Baseball Glove. I went with my first instinct and ordered the Shell yesterday,(pictures to come) but I wonder, how do you feel about straps with a atte finish to go with the "shinyness" of the 111's of the world? I liked the Baseball, but decided to go with the shine of the Shell to go with the SS of the 111. I guess its personal preference as the distressed look is probably more casual, but I know that I'm getting the football strap as well.

Both beautiful straps and both MUST have..

Especially now that Drew has a newer 24/24 version of the Cordovan ;)

Their may be hundreds to choose from but most of the pictures the dealers use in their display adds and web pages suck big time. I always look to the members here to post their pictures with their watches plus wrist shots before I believe I can get a good feeling if I will like the strap or not. I have bought way too many basd on the poor pics and have been sadly disapporinted when it arrived.

I have been looking for a black strap for a while now and the poor dealer pics makes this very difficult with poor lighting or being too dark.

Members, please keep this thread going and add some of your best pics if you have them.

Usil

My sentiments exactly, I can't tell you how many times I ordered a strap based on the dealers pictures only to be let down when the finish and color of the strap looks nothing like the picture. It's better, IMO, to take photographs out of a lightbox to give a better indication as to what it will look like under natural lighting. Of course, lightbox photos are more proffesional and I understand why they are used but I guess thats why I created this thread. I know our fellow members own just about everything...so please post pics :)

I went back and forth for a while as to whether I wanted a Black on Black Cordovan from Europelli or the Black Baseball Glove. I went with my first instinct and ordered the Shell yesterday,(pictures to come) but I wonder, how do you feel about straps with a matte finish to go with the "shinyness" of the 111's of the world? I liked the Baseball, but decided to go with the shine of the Shell to go with the SS of the 111. I guess its personal preference as the distressed look is probably more casual, but I know that I'm getting the football strap as well.

Yeah I'm looking for something with more of a shine too. Perhaps not a cordovan but something other than the distressed look. That's why I like the MF Vacchetta light brown...it looks to be somewhere in the middle but has a very distinguished, classy look.

There are a good many strap dealers out there. Right now TC Straps is having a terrific Christmas sale on them. in addition to their daily specials, there are photos of Elliot the owner dressed as Santa where the strap should be and the price is almost ridiculously low. These last for only hours and change during the day till Xmas. Greg Stevens makes about some of the finest watch straps you will ever find. Takes at least 4 weeks to get one after ordered but well worth it. About 150.00

Greg Stevens makes about some of the finest watch straps you will ever find. Takes at least 4 weeks to get one after ordered but well worth it. About 150.00

I completely agree about Greg Straps. I've got a Crazy Horse 24x24 and a Historic Brown Vintage Length 26x26 on the way. If you can afford them get them :bounce:

Just a quick update, I decided to go with the Mario Paci XI Tan Ambra. It was really between MP and MF with a small consideration to Greg Stevens but I think his straps are just too thick for me. I think the MP XI will be good though, I like that it will gain more and more patina over time. I originally wanted the Decima in light brown but they are out of stock. I think the Xi will do, what do you think?

Just a quick update, I decided to go with the Mario Paci XI Tan Ambra. It was really between MP and MF with a small consideration to Greg Stevens but I think his straps are just too thick for me. I think the MP XI will be good though, I like that it will gain more and more patina over time. I originally wanted the Decima in light brown but they are out of stock. I think the Xi will do, what do you think?

I would definately suggest the Mario Paci..

I don't quite like Gregs straps.. Nive leather but as David says they look 'cartoonish' ;)

I have two MP straps... One I just received from V, which is a khaki shark. Nice strap, a tad thin.

The other I have is an MP X, probably 3-4mm thick and just beautiful. The smell is amazing, even after 6 months.

You can't go wrong with MP... Great straps!

I would also suggest the shell cordovans from Europelli. Thick, beautifully finished straps that will develop a matte finish if you let it go unwaxed. Keep it waxed and it will be nice and shiny for a long time.

As V says I said... the GS straps just look too cartoonish on *me*... Others like 'em, I just can't.

Simona also has some great looking straps... well worth looking into IMO.

Like you guys said, there are hundreds, maybe more, straps out there. Pick what you like from established dealers and you'll be happy *most* of the time. I've had a few disappointments, but most of my choices are now too many to choose from LOL