When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pulled stem out...oops.

b-16707

Hello! I have been lurking for awhile and have decided to join!

I have a BP 42mm tiPO. Yesterday as I went to adjust the time on my watch, the stem came out. I didnt pull it any harder than I would my other watches, just enough to feel the click to adjust my time. It was jammed sideways on top of the movement, so I had to flex the stem a bit so that the lip the keeps it from coming out would clear the stem tube/hole in the case. I tried putting the stem back in but as easily as it goes it, it comes out too with me unable to adjust my time. The lip of the stem doesnt seem to engage anywhere to lock it in. The square part of the stem seems to fit in the gear though. My guess is that on the initial pull out, something in the keyless was screwed (no pun intended).

Are these chinese clone ETAs that fickle? I read that replacing the keyless with a real swiss version would make them more durable. Or did I just get a bad rep? Ive only owned the watch for 4 months and im leery of getting another rep. This $300+ watch didnt even outlast my 13yr (but now dead) $100 fossil quartz!

Is there anyone that can help me out to fix this? Anyone you guys would recommend?

Anyways looking forward to participating more here in the future. Glad to be a part of a forum like you guys. Hate to start my life here on RWG with a downer haha.

Edited by b-16707

The clutch lever that sits in the groove of the castle gear ( I think it's called that) has popped off. I tried my hand at a fix and found it after a bit of a learning curve quite easy so it's doable if your up for it. There are a couple of guides ( google 2836 keyless works guides) which are step by step. Just need a few cheap tools. As long as you don't force anything you shouldn't do any damage so if you give up you can still send it to a watch maker.

just brought it to a watch guy and he says its probably something that isnt aligned. i hope thats the case.

if not, i guess i have nothing to do lose to take it apart myself and educating myself on automatic watches. this is my first. i do consider myself good at managing small stuff as i like to build miniature models so something like this should be fun but alas like you guys have said scary at first.

I have purchased a couple of PO's over the last six months.  Both needed fixing for the same problem.  I think this is the second or third time it has been raised during this time so it sounds like it is a bad batch.

I hope it is sorted because, as you say, it is a $300+ watch and we shouldn't have problems like this.

I have purchased a couple of PO's over the last six months.  Both needed fixing for the same problem.  I think this is the second or third time it has been raised during this time so it sounds like it is a bad batch.

I hope it is sorted because, as you say, it is a $300+ watch and we shouldn't have problems like this.

at least im not alone. which manufacturer made yours? BP also?

how did you get yours fixed? new parts? gen parts? or just reseting the clutch, the keyless or whatever the heck is in there that got jacked?

if i needed parts, clone or gen, where would i even start?

Edited by b-16707

well looks like watch guy got back to me and says he couldnt fix it. 

i wonder if theres a market for those that want a fixer-upper and who has the knowledge of how to fix these things. perhaps the watch guy missed something

in any case, really bummed out that my original $300 "investment" didnt even last long. this is a real bummer and really makes me leery of buying another rep.

are there reps with at least genuine ETAs from the factory?

Edited by b-16707

Worst case scenario, you can always buy a Gen ETA movement for $150 or so and swap out the bad one. Not a great outcome, but at least you're not totally without options. Gen ETA's are relatively easy to source if it comes to that.

Edited by dovo1695

Where are you located b? What kind of "watch guy" did you take it to?

San Mateo. A local guy here who has a little station in a drug store. Got great reviews on yelp so i decided to try him out. Friendly guy. Probably not classified as a full blown "watch maker." I have a deep gut feeling that something like this is fixable and would love to get a hold of someone who would do the work. My knowledge of the watch world is shallow and i suppose i have to do more reasearch.

Worst case scenario, you can always buy a Gen ETA movement for $150 or so and swap out the bad one. Not a great outcome, but at least you're not totally without options. Gen ETA's are relatively easy to source if it comes to that.

but will a gen ETA fit 100% exact into this watch. Would it be basically plug and play?

Although it's definitely not my area of expertise, there are quite a few posts on this forum about movement swap surgeries. The ETA clone movements die pretty frequently, so it's something many folks have had to do. If you had a ETA in the watch, a new ETA should be relatively easy for to swap in.

If you can't find a watchmaker who is able to solve the issue, it's an option worth exploring. But like I said, I'm no watchmaker, there are much more qualified members on the forum better equipped to answer the question.

Although it's definitely not my area of expertise, there are quite a few posts on this forum about movement swap surgeries. The ETA clone movements die pretty frequently, so it's something many folks have had to do. If you had a ETA in the watch, a new ETA should be relatively easy for to swap in.

If you can't find a watchmaker who is able to solve the issue, it's an option worth exploring. But like I said, I'm no watchmaker, there are much more qualified members on the forum better equipped to answer the question.

definitely something im considering exploring. for a $300 watch, i expect it to last at least 10 years like $300 citizens. i wouldnt mind putting in a tad more cash to get a more reliable ETA too. now just gotta find the person to help me out =)...and find out what clone ETA version i have.

Edited by b-16707

Everything is fixable. I can help but am north of the border. Shoot me a PM if you are stuck for other options.

yea shipping would be $$, let alone customs(?)

first i have to find exactly what is broken. Thanks for the offer to help! Ill keep you in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

sent it in to a online guy that someone recommended to me. looks like not only the keyless was pushed all the way out (says the guy) but also a "broken screw head" and  a "missing roller jewel." My guess is that watch guy i initially took it to screwed up the watch by opening it to inspect it and maybe stole some parts??? the watch was fully functioning (sans stem) before i gave it to him. eagerly awaiting the return of my watch in the mail this week!

Edited by b-16707

Regarding your question on Asian clones, they are quite reliable, and are workhorses for many watches rep and gen, however increases in price doesn't always correlate with increases in reliability. One example is paying an extra $100 or so for Swiss ETA which turns out to be a refurbished or really old movement that's not as reliable as a factory new Asian clone. The higher price you pay is for the most part in the improved accuracy to the gen, or the use of more exotic materials.

My point is don't be discouraged by this. You'll have reps that will just be fantastic out of the box, and if you're unlucky, every now and then you'll get a dud, but when that happens (hopefully it won't happen again), you have many great communities that'll be ready to help :)

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

i think the same thing happened to my sub with a 2836 clone.

i took the stem out to work on the CGs a little and i think the clutch lever got dis-engaged.

i didnt have hand pullers at the time so i took it to a local watchsmith.

he stuck the stem in, wiggled it around a little and jammed it in and it worked!

i still have no idea how he did it. he said you just have to get the gears lined up and push with a little force.

my keyless works wasnt completely dislodged so there was no need to get to the dial face of the movement.

you could try that a few times and see if it works.

if you plan on replacing the movement, may as well try to fix it.

once you get the hands and dial off, its really not that hard to pop the little lever on the notch on the winding gear.

ive done this a few times on 6497s. i think i could do it blindfolded on that movement not. lol

or find a new watchsmith. that guy is a moron.

i think Katt charges like $75 bucks or something to fix a keyless works.

worth it on a $300 watch imo.

definitely something im considering exploring. for a $300 watch, i expect it to last at least 10 years like $300 citizens. i wouldnt mind putting in a tad more cash to get a more reliable ETA too. now just gotta find the person to help me out =)...and find out what clone ETA version i have.

Your rep will never last like a gen Citizen,it might if completely rebuilt, but most likely no.

You have to temper your expectations in this game.

JMHO