When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mates new sub.

bvc

My mate has admired my reps for a while, he's worn a tw steel for a the last year and has taken the moral high ground as he wears a "gen"

I've offered to help him source a nice rep but he wouldn't have it. He can be a self righteous little git sometimes.

So he texts me the other night with this message. Sorry mate I had to buy this! Looks like your gonna have to up your game..........what a bar steward! No warning or even an invitation to the ad to try on watches with him.

Now before you tell me he's not a real friend. I already know. We've had a love hate relationship for 20 years. He's more of a little brother.

So what do I want. I want his watch. I want to show him how good our reps really are. Not to hurt him or be nasty. Just to challenge his views regarding reps.

Am I gonna have to go TC on this one?

And you won't believe this....

it was 5k and the AD took tesco club card vouchers to the tune of a grand. He paid 4k and a wad of the wife's vouchers. £250 worth and the AD quadrupled the value against the sub. :-0

Appreciate your help on this one guys. I got one piece in the pipeline then my next buy is gonna have to be this.

How bout that for the longest, "who's got the best sub" question!!! Surely worth a prize?

post-16871-0-10693500-1404373339_thumb.j

Well,

TC makes the 16610, and that is a newer 116610. You can tell because it has the rehault engraved ROLEX all around and the ceramic insert. 

Basically what I'm saying is that a TC is a different watch :) although both submariners.

You said he paid 4k ... I assume you do not mean USD!

If you love the look of a 116610, BK is your man.

Either way, I'd source some gen parts: crown & tube, crystal, bezel insert, etc... have someone put it together for you, and you'd be into it $1200 to 2k USD range depending on how fun you want to get ~ less than a fourth what he paid.

You're friend is a showoff :p

hey op show you friend the pics of my sub that will shut his cocky mouth lol

2v97k8h.jpg

aebhfq.jpg

71poxx.jpg

167unad.jpg    ive even got a better dial than him so if u get the same sub c as me he will shut up bro ha ha 

15guxde.jpg

2czwzyf.jpg

2i8hqxe.jpg

Edited by live1
  • Like 2

I think it looks used but he insists it is brand new. I've not seen it in the flesh yet so we will see. I'd wet myself if you guys told me it was a rep!

I think it looks used but he insists it is brand new. I've not seen it in the flesh yet so we will see. I'd wet myself if you guys told me it was a rep!

4000 pounds its used yes.in my ad these are 6000 pounds,brand new nd114060 is 5000 pounds

I'd say don't go the route he wants you to go...

Buy whatever watch you like for 300GBP, use some more GBP to have a nice weekend with your wife (or whatever you like) and record her moaning your name.

Send a picture of the watch, the voice record and a picture of the girl grinning like a Cheshire cat and tell him what you paid for it...priceless I'd say :D

Lol great comments guys keep them coming.

Live1 that's a beauty. At the risk of sounding like a lemon, where can I get one? I wear brietling reps so I'm really not that clued up. This is my beater as of last month and its what prompted him to go for the sub.

Do I have to go franken to get near his sub or will bk be able to handle it? My mate doesn't even know what he's got. He wouldn't even know if it was a rep.

Cheers fellas

Bvc.

It could be used, more and more UK jewellers have a pre-owned section and I think Goldsmiths take the Tesco Club card point thing.

BK is currently away, I've got one of his DSSD's and think its a great watch, I'd drop him a PM, he says he'll still respond while he's away and see whether he's doing the latest Noob V4 Submariner with his mods, I think its worth every penny.

Live1 that's a beauty. At the risk of sounding like a lemon, where can I get one? I wear brietling reps so I'm really not that clued up. This is my beater as of last month and its what prompted him to go for the sub.

Do I have to go franken to get near his sub or will bk be able to handle it? My mate doesn't even know what he's got. He wouldn't even know if it was a rep.

Cheers fellas

Bvc.

forget bk unless toy need a swiss eta.just get a v3

Cheers fellas

Bvc.

forget bk unless u need a swiss eta.just get a v3

It could be used, more and more UK jewellers have a pre-owned section and I think Goldsmiths take the Tesco Club card point thing.

BK is currently away, I've got one of his DSSD's and think its a great watch, I'd drop him a PM, he says he'll still respond while he's away and see whether he's doing the latest Noob V4 Submariner with his mods, I think its worth every penny.

please stop saying v4 there is no v4 .toro and ts made a mistake lol

forget bk unless toy need a swiss eta.just get a v3

That's actually horrible advice for someone who is trying to show something to a gen owner that is as close as possible. BK does a lot of work improving the stock watch, and can also add some gen parts if the OP wants him to. One stop shop for getting the best finished product.

If the OP has the budget, then samsnelling has given him the right path to follow.

no i personnly dont rate his dwo the font is too thick for a gen 116610,also swiss eta is good but not worth it,thats all bk does as far as i know but charges like 600 .if u want a perfect sub c just do what i did get a v3,also  guys keep sending me pics of there bk noob v3 for me to inspect and all but one was a noob v2,and ive inspected 6 recently,if he has the budget dont get a bk  get a noob v3 and build a franken

this is my v3 everything gen apart from case movement and braclet cost was cheap to build also and not much more than bk charges and u wont garrantee you will even get a v3

2d6rwok.jpg

Live1 got a custom build by zocker (on RWI) FYI. Truly beautiful.

Live, could you give a ball park of what the parts cost? You have quite a few Gen parts.

I'd say don't go the route he wants you to go...

Buy whatever watch you like for 300GBP, use some more GBP to have a nice weekend with your wife (or whatever you like) and record her moaning your name.

Send a picture of the watch, the voice record and a picture of the girl grinning like a Cheshire cat and tell him what you paid for it...priceless I'd say :D

Lol only time she moans my name these days is when I've forgotten to load the dishwasher!

me and my mate build my v3 in a few hours.the parts were cheap because i had a connection with a rolex parts account,but unfortunately lost him because i was getting too many members gen parts so he stopped as he will lose his parts account .

Will look into bk and also noob v3 guys. I like the idea of noob v3 with the option to go franken later. Great advice guys. Thanks. Just want out the box close as possible, he really won't see the difference in dw font and the like.