When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

LG's new smartwatch - G watch R

OmegaPOFL

LG+G+Watch+R+1.jpg

it comes with a 1.3-inch Plastic OLED (P-OLED) full 360-degree display.

The R comes with a 410mAh battery, a mere 10mAh improvement over its square counterpart. That means we shouldn't expect to get more than a day or so on a single charge.
Nearly all of the other guts are the same, too. It comes with interchangeable 22mm straps, a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset with 512MB of RAM and 4GB internal storage. It's also rated IP67 for water resistance (up to one meter of water for thirty minutes), just like the last one was. However, there's two notable new features: It comes with a heart rate monitor underneath and what appears to be a power button on the side.

LG_G_Watch_R_1_verge_super_wide.jpg

LG_G_Watch_R_01_verge_super_wide.jpg

LG_G_Watch_R_2_verge_super_wide.jpg

Well... This is nice!

PS: 512MB adn 1GB storage on a watch... I remember my 1st PC: I spent like 1000$ to have 8MB ram and other 1500$ just to have 1GB ultrawide SCSI hard drive (plus 600$ for the Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller), and the CPU was running at 66MHz... There's so much more power in a "simple" watch...

Good morning everybody,

i was thinking....do you guys think that all these incoming 'smartwatch' (this LG G, the Moto360...and the iWatch of course) will 'ruin' or give a boost to traditional watches ?

I mean : do you think that in the future a man (or a woman of course) would be 'cooler' with an Hublot/Corum/Panerai watch on the wrist, or with a smartwatch ?
Do you think that the value and/or the market for traditional wristwatches would be up or down ?

For ME (personal thinking) a traditional wristwatches would be forever the right thing...but the general public ?

Let's face it: who's gonna wear a 10k €uros Hublot or Rolex.which simply show time.....when with 500 € i can have a much more 'cool' device ?.

Of course not 'cool' for ME....but for the 90% of the population for sure ;)

You see, i notice this also on cars. I love cars, i've got a 231bhp 4WD Jaguar X-Type.
I love her, even if it's really,really thirtsy....but  when i sit on my Connolly Leather seats and i push my V6 engine...well...all disappear :)

It's a passion, and i love her.

But i see my friend makes jokes on me....they say_ do you know that nowadays you can have similar performances with a 1.2 liters tubochargerd engine ?

What the board think about this ?

Well... This is nice!

PS: 512MB adn 1GB storage on a watch... I remember my 1st PC: I spent like 1000$ to have 8MB ram and other 1500$ just to have 1GB ultrawide SCSI hard drive (plus 600$ for the Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller), and the CPU was running at 66MHz... There's so much more power in a "simple" watch...

haha, me too

and it took me almost 5 years on a corporate loan plan to pay it off

o well at least it came with a nice SVGA color monitor

Yes I remember building a micron PC back in early 90's it was around 5k. My iPhone has way more power and capability. We were moving from kb to mb back then with no thought about gb.

I love technology but not in watches. I have always worn a watch playing golf and bought a Garmin gps golf watch but usually wear a Rollie and put the Garmin on the bag. Just doesn't feel right on the wrist. I cannot see myself wearing a smart watch.

Same way with cars. Love cars my whole life. Tried to drive a more normal car a few years back (Lexus GS) but just didn't do it for me. I love to drive so the expense is well worth the reward.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Same way with cars. Love cars my whole life. Tried to drive a more normal car a few years back (Lexus GS) but just didn't do it for me. I love to drive so the expense is well worth the reward.

Uh,

what car do you own currently ? 'Cause - almost here in Italy - a LExus GS is not exactly a more normal car... i mean,it's in the same league as of BMW 5Series and MErcedes E-Klasse....it's a Premium Car !

Yes I remember building a micron PC back in early 90's it was around 5k. My iPhone has way more power and capability. We were moving from kb to mb back then with no thought about gb.

I love technology but not in watches. I have always worn a watch playing golf and bought a Garmin gps golf watch but usually wear a Rollie and put the Garmin on the bag. Just doesn't feel right on the wrist. I cannot see myself wearing a smart watch.

I started out with and IBM PC Jr, way back when. I believe it was 64mb with an add on model to make it 128mb!!

I had lots if car passion over the years, but over time, it sort of faded away. One problem is the small town where I live has only "plain vanilla" dealerships, Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan, none of the upscale or luxury brands. No Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, range Rover, etc. I drove most all if those brands for years, but a few years ago, I realized that the hassle of getting a vehicle serviced in a city over 100 miles away, while trying to hold down a full time contract position,was becoming more and more frustrating. The convenience of a good Ford Lincoln dealership right down the street from my hospital overshadowed the thrill of driving a Mercedes or Range Rover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh,

what car do you own currently ? 'Cause - almost here in Italy - a LExus GS is not exactly a more normal car... i mean,it's in the same league as of BMW 5Series and MErcedes E-Klasse....it's a Premium Car !

Don't get me wrong Lexus builds a great car, but as my handle would indicate I am a droptop guy. My current ride is a 2015 audi S5 cabriolet I special ordered. Where I live I need all wheel drive and I love droptops so audi is perfect car for me. I chipped this and put better air box so now around 420hp.

I know without pics it isn't true so here u go

80bfb067b44b9007d1ac84a7f2920611.jpg

I started out with and IBM PC Jr, way back when. I believe it was 64mb with an add on model to make it 128mb!!

I had lots if car passion over the years, but over time, it sort of faded away. One problem is the small town where I live has only "plain vanilla" dealerships, Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan, none of the upscale or luxury brands. No Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, range Rover, etc. I drove most all if those brands for years, but a few years ago, I realized that the hassle of getting a vehicle serviced in a city over 100 miles away, while trying to hold down a full time contract position,was becoming more and more frustrating. The convenience of a good Ford Lincoln dealership right down the street from my hospital overshadowed the thrill of driving a Mercedes or Range Rover.

Makes sense.

I am lucky my small town had an audi dealer. They lost the dealership but still service them at least for a few more years. Then I will be in same boat driving 120 miles for service....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh,

Agree!

Buy if he's an US man he can consider stuff with engines that we normally put into trucks ;P

That Audi by the way isn't one of them :)

Ciao compatriota ;)

Edited by GenTLe

Ciao Gentle :)!

Anyway,regarding smartwatches, i personally think that branda like Omega or TAG will ne seriously affected from this smartwatches invasion.

Who (General public, not geeks like us ) is gonna spend >1000 EUR for a Planet Ocean or an Acquaracer when with 500 EUR you van nave the 21st century smartwatch that is the iWatch ?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Tapatalk

I am boycotting any type of "smart watch".  Only a matter of time before the Rolex/AP/PP/Panerai  skins start popping up.  No thanks.

For me, a watch is jewellery.  

Plus, I think at this stage in my life, I'd rather be less "connected" than more connected.   

Megaquote.

New iPhone, Moto360...all these devices are nauseating me,.