When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Intro, And "must-read" Info For Other Newbs.

cortopar

This is my first post to the board. I first want to say "Thanks" to everyone who moderates or participates in the forums. You've created a fantastic resource that has helped me, and I'm sure, innumerable others.

If you're new here, you need to read these threads:

Best reps available today

All of the links in By-Tor's signature

Reputable dealers

If you ask who makes the "best sub" you will get flamed. You will get sarcasm. You will be told to search. Do use the search, look at the pictorial reviews of the various sub reps available. However, if you are looking for the best sub rep "out of the box", I think you'll find as I did that buying the ETA sub "Noobmariner" from one of the trusted sellers will make you happy.

I just received my $188 ETA sub from Andrew (aka Trusty) and I'm very pleased. I own an Invicta Pro Diver (8926) and was planning to purchase the 9937 (8926 with ETA 2824) before stumbling on RWG. The ETA "Noobmariner" is twice the watch the Invicta is by any reasonable measure other than perhaps manufacturer's warranty.

A little side note on my experience with Andrew. In a word... fantastic! Ordered 12/7. In Las Vegas and on my wrist 12/12. The watch may be detectable by an AD or WIS, but I have spent many hours looking at and handling gens, and looking at gen/rep comparisons online. I can honestly say that without a loupe and a gen to compare, no one is going to "call you out" on this watch.

I'm ordering the SMP Bond Chronograph with pre-sale movement servicing and waterproofing from Trusty next. I can't wait!

A little about me and why I like reps:

I can afford just about any reasonable Rolex, Panerai, Omega, IWC I want to buy. However, I cannot afford *all* of them that I'd like to buy. I appreciate mechanical movements, and I love the styling of a number of the bigger (and not so big) Swiss name manufacturers. Buying reps is not about trying to "fake" social status. To me, it's about having the opportunity to own and enjoy 5 or 10 (or more) different watches. When buying gen, I could only realistically afford 2 or 3.

I'm planning to purchase a gen SMP or SMP Chronograph, and am using the rep SMP Chrono as a "test drive" so to speak.

Anyway, I've rambled long enough. Thanks again to all the regulars, and a hearty welcome to other newbs like me.

Best,

Bob

Just a quick follow-up...

I've since ordered the SMP chrono with full service from Andrew, along with a Chanel J12 box set for my wife. Was originally going to get her a Constellation or Ladies DJ, but she liked the Chanel better.

I've had the gen bug lately, so don't be surprised if you see me post about a gen Rollie or Omega soon.

As far as the next rep, I think it will be the IWC Flieger chrono.

Final note... Nothing would make my day more than a Navitimer with a properly working slide rule bezel. I love the Navitimer reps, but the bezel is the whole draw of the watch! I have a Citizen BAS (big ass Skyhawk), and really enjoy the slide rule. Here's hoping for a next-generation Navitimer.

Best,

Bob

Final note... Nothing would make my day more than a Navitimer with a properly working slide rule bezel.

The older Navitimers had a spot-on slide-rule. It's only the more recent ones with the better movement that have the off-axis slide-rule.

ps. IWC Flieger Chrono review due tomorrow, with any luck ...

Amazing first post, cortopar! You are going to be an asset to the forum.

My warm welcome.