When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dropped my Rolex DSSD, advice needed

nanoman

I dropped my Rolex DSSD  few days ago and the movement got damaged. This is the movement description on the seller's website...Nickle Plated Asian Eta Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph, Modified to Rolex Calibre 3136 Markings and Bridges

I am a newbie so please don't mind some simple questions. 

-Where can I purchase a new movement.

-Is it easy to replace DIY.

Depending on what broke it might be a simple fix or require a movement replacement.  I've had the rotor attachment screw shear off after a drop, the tip of the balance broken, and the bearing and rotor come detached.

You may be able to find a new movement here, contacting the seller: http://stores.ebay.it/toolbox2009/Movement-Parts-/_i.html?_fsub=5008858016

The most important thing is to understand if the base is a 2824 or a 2836 (supposedly the second), so that the swap should be done with a more standard not modified 2836 (you'll, or better an horologist, will have to swap hands, dial and date wheel).

Guest mikemcnair

Any dial or DWO do it yourself thread will walk you through the repair, and it's likely not as bad as you think. (That's IF a new movement is needed)

I would contact one of the many TDs on here to see if you can have it swapped or simply repaired.

As for locating parts and/or a whole movement, all the TDs can get them, eBay, OFrei.com, cousinsuk.co, this forum, and homage forum... All easily have what you need.

out of curiosity, what did they quote you for the repair? and what did they say was wrong?

a new eta clone will cost about $100 bucks. 

most forum watchsmiths will do a movement swap fairly cheap.

my guess is, around $200 and you could have a brand new movement installed and ready to go.

that is the worst case scenario.

my guess is, the watch prob could be fixed. your local watchsmith prob just doesnt want to deal with it so he quoted you a insane price to make you go away. 

Guest mikemcnair

If you get a new movement, I can post a full pictorial DIY for ya and make it super simple for you to do it with simple household tools etc.

So I would grab a movement, and post in here bud, and I/we will get you sorted without paying a horologist