When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sales/Payment Question

droptopman

Hi All,

Selling some pieces--this is not a sales post or any type of marketing....

Getting inquiries from very new members with no or minimal posts and no feedback. Little concerned doing PP with someone with no feedback or posts, but also understand that I had no posts or feedback when I started and needed someone to deal with me.

No disrespect meant here, just seen some posts of PP disputes being filed and funds not delivered on pieces that were shipped as promised. Am I paranoid and/or does anyone have a good solution for this situation?

Been there, with little to no feedback, few posts, but wanting to get my feet wet and buy a rep. I've also been the guy that's been around for a while with noobs wanting to buy a rep from me. It usually breaks down to choose your buyer rather than let the buyer choose you. Ask a few questions, get to know the guy before sending over the paypal address if your concerned. In the end paypal favors the buyer not the seller so this is the only chance you have as a seller, you have to do your due diligence now or cry about it later. Also, if I'm not certain I sometimes give MOAB a pm and check references.

I agree that if it is a new member with no posts buying from a trusted established member then a pp gift option is the only way to go. If they aren't willing then there's something wrong and it's better to not proceed

PP gift still isn't a sure thing. If they pay with a visa or MasterCard they can still open a chargeback from their card and PP will then seek funds from the seller. If they pay using account funds or bank then that's a different story.

Not to be doom and gloom. We were all new once. OP just depends on the watch your selling and risk you're willing to take.

Guys I can and do do checks, but in most cases that is a guy from another board buying here who will tell you he's from RWI, RWG Bz or Geek then I go over talk to my counter parts and check him out.  And yes we were all noobs once ......... on a fairly high value piece well............ your call.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Kinda where I was at. Was thinking PP gift but I see that can still be a risk. It's a $700 piece so not the end of the world either way. I will slow it down a bit and it will work itself out.

What an awesome community. Always nice to be able to get other views from people you trust. Thanks again.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

I've only had one really bad experience and it was with selling a BP SD to a really new guy. I didn't even pay attention to his post count especially because he was willing to pay my asking price when other members were low balling. After receiving the watch he stated all this absurd stuff, on top of it he had took the watch apart and butchered the keyless which he semi admitted to, and was demanding a refund. During the midst of getting the mods involved and resolving the situation (leaving him banned) I went and read some of his posts. I wish I had done that to begin with, I would have never sold him the watch.

It's good to give the benefit of the doubt, but it's also good to do your homework. BTW don't let my post count fool you, I am a long time rep collector but spend most of my time at the other RWG next door.

Edited by UmpaHimself

Guys I can and do do checks, but in most cases that is a guy from another board buying here who will tell you he's from RWI, RWG Bz or Geek then I go over talk to my counter parts and check him out.  And yes we were all noobs once ......... on a fairly high value piece well............ your call.

Lol, that is totally me. Guilty as charged.

I agree with most above. Unless you ask for WU or one of the money transfer companies like WU, you can still get a chargeback if the buyer uses a credit card.I firmly believe that the best safeguard is to ask a lot of questions, no sin in asking a new buyer to give you some history on this and other forums. Read their posts, that sometimes gives you a feel as to how someone operates. If the prospective buyer has previous transactions, PM the seller and ask if there were any problems with the sale. Most of all, if you have any misgivings about the sale, better to back off than be sorry later.

People come to RWG for a number of reasons. Most will be enthusiasts, some will be future enthusiasts (myself hopefully), a few will be looking for a 'fake' watch to impress their mates and one or two will be here to scam buyers and sellers. Research and dialogue is the way forward, noobs can feel reassured by a sellers expertise, and sellers can guage if the buyer has a genuine interest, just wants some fake bling or is a total scammer. Your desire to fund your next project will dictate the risk you are prepared to take on a noob.

I,m sure you will be fine mate, you are a well known and trusted member and i,m sure anything you sell will be 100% as you advertise it.

Take the plunge if in doupt try selling a cheep rep 1st just to get in in the selling mood.

Paypay by gift payment is your best or bank transfer.

If you sell a good watch at a proper price you will have many members pm you very quickly so you can choose the buyer.Nearly every watch I have sold sells within an hour as I sell 

well priced as honestly as i can.

So go for it 

o"h and let me know what your selling so i can have 1st chance  :inverted:

Thanks for all the feedback.  The deal is done.  I needed someone to trust me on my first purchase; although if I remember it was from BK so had to set up a special account to pay him....then the second piece I paid with some crazy bank transfer with enormous fees :bangin:  

I guess I am just a kind and trusting soul.  At then end of the day I just want to share this hobby with others.

The buyer had bought a piece from an established member who vouched for him.  And we had some comms over PM, so all good.  At this point one of two things will happen...I am confident it will be OK and I can give him some feedback.  It just shows to some degree how important feedback is here.  I always hound people to leave feedback, especially on my first few pieces.

Thanks again

Hi,

i am probably sending this on the wrong thread.

Was on RWI before and have purchased a couple of Hublots in the past from HontWatch and another, cant think of the the name.

Where are all of these dealers gone.....they all look to have been closed down.

Really do not want to risk buying again without good guidance.

I am looking for a Hublot Ultra Thin all black.

Have you any suggestions of who to talk to .

Thanks and again sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.