When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone have this Red Sub?

Guest REPPIN

It's the cartel version.

It has gen spec construction and will take a gen spec plexi with a little sanding.

It'll also take a Atheya 702 crown and tube without retapping. You will need to drill a little to have the tube be recessed.

Bezel construction is gen spec (friction washer, bezel, insert).

You can do a decent build with one of these.

The main issues are

Short, stubby crown guards.

These need a LOT of work to get them somewhat gen like.

Wrong dial size. Gen spec 1680 dial is 26.5mm. These take 26.

The dial is wrong. The 12 marker is too small. It should be almost touching the crown.

It def needs a relume. The bright yellow markers look bad.

It's a fun watch to work on though. I got the 21j version to mod and I've done the following.

Relume

Clark plexi sanded down so the date mag isn't too large.

Re drilled lug holes, end links and bracelet to take thick springbars

Shaved crown guards

Atheya 702 crown and tube.

It's one of my fav watches.

I believe that today, it's probably a good place to start to make a reasonably priced 1680. If you like the watch, and you want to step up to a better version later, there are several avenues, but at greater expense. And old MBW case set, or a phong, make great cases to start a really nice 1680. Add the 702 crown, gen insert/ pearl, gen or good aftermarket crystal, gen dial, slow beat like a serviced ETA 2846 movement and a good bracelet with 580 end links and you have a really, really nice 1680. Putting that all together is going to cost a fair amount, and I would make sure that a 1680 is what you want before spending a lot. Just my personal opinion, but there are more good white dials available, and like I said gens can be had at a fairly reasonable price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I can't use a Yuki 1680 dial?

Is the case that tight that it can't accept a .5mm larger dial.

If so then does anyone know where to get a 26mm sub dial???

I've checked helenarou, raffles, etc.

I believe that today, it's probably a good place to start to make a reasonably priced 1680. If you like the watch, and you want to step up to a better version later, there are several avenues, but at greater expense. And old MBW case set, or a phong, make great cases to start a really nice 1680. Add the 702 crown, gen insert/ pearl, gen or good aftermarket crystal, gen dial, slow beat like a serviced ETA 2846 movement and a good bracelet with 580 end links and you have a really, really nice 1680. Putting that all together is going to cost a fair amount, and I would make sure that a 1680 is what you want before spending a lot. Just my personal opinion, but there are more good white dials available, and like I said gens can be had at a fairly reasonable price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This man speaks the truth :D

So I can't use a Yuki 1680 dial?

Is the case that tight that it can't accept a .5mm larger dial.

If so then does anyone know where to get a 26mm sub dial???

I've checked helenarou, raffles, etc.

no it will not take a yuki dial without mods.

you can shave the dial .5mm

the only gen spec dials these will take are 5512/5513 and tudor snowflake. they are all 26mm

if you can find one, get a Purtime one. 

those will take gen spec dials.

I had the same trouble with an MBK 1680 case as they are made for 26.0mm dials like on 5512/13. I enlarged the dial window about .4mm to 26.0mm (iirc on the exact amount) and made the cut straight (90 degree angle to the dial) and it worked Ok but you can see the straight cut on the lower edge of the reflector ring (rehaut). By only cutting .4mm rather than .5mm it leaves less of a straight area just above the dial. If you try to replicate the angle all the way to the dial rather than making a straight cut, you will have to machine the entire reflector ring (rehaut) at an angle from the dial to the edge of the reflector ring (rehaut) next to the crystal...a LOT more work.

Another concern on MBK 5512/13 and 1680 cases is that there is a shallow 'dial seat' cut below the dial window that allows only for a 26mm dial...I had to enlarge it to 26.5mm to accept the 26.5mm oem spec '1680' dial when I enlarged the dial window.

I do not know if the 'cartel' cases are made exactly like this or not but it is a heads up on what to expect with an MBK case.