When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue Parachrom hairspring in a 16610

dbane883

Up until the parachrom hairspring came on the scene, rolex used Nivarox hairspring material made by FAR/Nivarox (now owned by swatch) and not much different from parachrom in composition.

Parachrom material is probably not a whole lot better (if any) than Nivarox but RWC needed something to boast about, especially since they started making their own hairsprings, so parachrom is their new Rock Star.

I am immune to BS and because rolex is about 70% hype and 30% substance (imho), everyone now wants the parachrom hairspring, better or not.

One of the best timekeepers rolex made was the 3035 and they came out long before parachrom hairsprings...with a version of the tried and true Clinergic 21 escapement made by FAR/Nivarox.

As for a mechanical watch keeping good time, you might find it anywhere. For example, I have been wearing an old 1970s Wittnauer 'front loader' automatic that I c/o a while back and in about 10 days it is still within about 40 seconds (slow) of being 'on time' compared to when I put it on. This is a watch that sold for around $125.00 35 or 40 years ago with a 17 jewel unadjusted movement.  

I did not put a new mainspring or anything in it or adjust the timing rate, just c/o and put it on.

I did not use 'seven different herbs and spices' either...just Moebius 9020, D5, 9415, and KT22.    :pimp:

Yeah.. fully aware considerable marketing was involved with the blue spring to give the perception it was better.  I dont beleive any tests have proved that it is... 

If it was so great, then why are they now including the new "Syloxi" hairsprings in some watches? 

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-begins-using-silicon-syloxi-hairsprings-caliber-2236-watch-movements/

I just figured that it might be a possibility that some late model 16610's slipped through with the blue springs.  Or said in another way, is a G-series (i think that was the last model) 16610 with a blue spring completely inaccurate?

It won't keep perfect time no matter what the hairspring is made of.  Saying is..."if you have to have the right time, get a Timex, if you want class, get a Rolex."  You can pay less than $30 and get a watch that will keep, virtually, impeccable time and it will last for 5 to 10 years with just a battery change each year.  If you keep a $5,000. Rolex for 10 years, doubtless you would have spent another $400 - $600 sometime in that range for a service.

I have a Timex Ironman that is more than 15 years old and it takes a battery each year.  Still keeps pretty good time and is waterproof everywhere I go.

Yeah.. fully aware considerable marketing was involved with the blue spring to give the perception it was better.  I dont beleive any tests have proved that it is... 

If it was so great, then why are they now including the new "Syloxi" hairsprings in some watches? 

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-begins-using-silicon-syloxi-hairsprings-caliber-2236-watch-movements/

I just figured that it might be a possibility that some late model 16610's slipped through with the blue springs.  Or said in another way, is a G-series (i think that was the last model) 16610 with a blue spring completely inaccurate?

serviced 16610s that needed a new hair spring/balance assembly would have them too.