When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slipping gears? (TC 2824)

markiemark

I'm having a little problem with my TC 2824. When I'm setting the time, I can adjust it 10-20 minutes and then it 'stops'. I can turn the crown, but the time won't adjust.

I put it in date-setting-mode (or whatever it's called), put it back in time-setting-mode, and I can adjust it again for another 10-20 minutes and then the same happens...

It's like the gears are slipping or something. No, I'm not turning the crown like a mad man on X. I'm turning it gently, very gently.

Anyone knows what this could be? Would this be an easy (read: cheap) fix?

It runs normal, good power reserve, etc.

Thanks in advance! 

I read another post about problems with TC's movement and winding caused by the inner o-rings in the tube being too tight. Sorry, not sure which forum it was on but it sounds quite similar to your problem other than the crown slipping in the winding position. Of course this only relates to you if your movement is in one of TC's Subs.

I read another post about problems with TC's movement and winding caused by the inner o-rings in the tube being too tight. Sorry, not sure which forum it was on but it sounds quite similar to your problem other than the crown slipping in the winding position. Of course this only relates to you if your movement is in one of TC's Subs.

Yeah it's in my TC Sub. I don't think its the o-rings because I never had this problem. And I have the Sub for over a year now...

Just reread your thread to make sure I didn't miss anything.

If its not oversized -orings in the tube, it could well be the crown clutch is failing, and a new TC crown would fix it.  But from the detail you describe, it does sound something more that this, as per pm mate.

Edited by SSTEEL

Like kbh said, it might be the crown clutch slipping. To check it, pull out slightly when setting the time and see if the crown clutch engages. Usually clutch trouble is caused by a weak spring that puts tension on the telescoping tube but sometimes it is the clutch itself that goes bad. If it is the clutch itself, pulling out on the crown will not cure the problem.

If it is not the crown, you may have something out of whack in the setting works or the pressed in minute wheel gear slipping like SSTEEL said.

I have had trouble with Chinese etaclones and do not work on them. For this reason, my advice is to change over to a swisseta if the clone will be much trouble to fix. It's more expensive but it turns a very good watch (TC sub) into a fine watch...even if it is a replica.

Swisseta vs etaclone...

If you need to remove the movement, hands, dial etc and take an etaclone apart to fix it, you are usually better off to swap it out with a swisseta because labor cost is the same or even less on a swisseta. All you need is a good swiss 2824 with H4 canon pinion and any associated parts and then swap out the TC date wheel complete with the date wheel on the swisseta. The etaclone H4 parts will probably interchange but I have never done it.

As for H4 canon pinion parts for the swiss eta...now is the time to stock up on them before Swatch cuts parts off in 2016. 

• Like 2