When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any recommendations for decent modding of Rolex DSSD

ArcAngel

Hello everyone. Just bought the Hublot V6 watch, waiting for its shipment ;) and now looking into choices of buying the Rolex DSSD (Can't resist to poison) 

Have done some research and read up on the few deals who does modding of watches such as Speedy, PdDad, VacLume BK etc (Too many options and need some input from the veterans here)

Wanted to get from BK but I don't need the Swiss movement, just the Asian Clone ETA will do (Due to bargain constraints as eyeing for another buy soon)

Would just get the normal 2014 v7 DSSD from the TD and send for modding 

Reasons for sending for modding

- Change of gen crystal AR

- Change of gen bezel

- Inserts? 

- Anything else that I have missed out in modding the DSSD looking closer to gen 

Any recommendations for the best person to send the DSSD for modding? Would appreciate inputs and advises. Thanks in advance..! ;)

Gen crystals aren't AR'ed, only the cyclops is AR'ed.

AFA the movement, I would factor in a service, no matter which you decide on. Gen bezel/insert would be a great addition, not cheap, also make sure that the watch is gen like construction and a gen bezel will fit.

I would do a lot of reading and research before you commit to buying anything that you intend to mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFA the movement, I would factor in a service, no matter which you decide on. Gen bezel/insert would be a great addition, not cheap, also make sure that the watch is gen like construction and a gen bezel will fit.

I would do a lot of reading and research before you commit to buying anything that you intend to mod.

Thanks for the advise and input.

What you mean by the movement you would factor in a service? 

Considering to get the DSSD V7 Noob so the construction quite close to gen and bezel can fit. Any recommendation to do modding ? Sourcing or gen bezel too haha

Edited by ArcAngel

I was curious about that. I'd read somewhere it was two sides ar and have read in others that it's just the cyclops. I guess that's my actual answer.

I'm glad cause I may pick up some diamond polish to buff out a scratch on the crystal I picked up. If it was scratched AR, I figured I'd screw it up.

Thanks for the advise and input.

What you mean by the movement you would factor in a service?

Considering to get the DSSD V7 Noob so the construction quite close to gen and bezel can fit. Any recommendation to do modding ? Sourcing or gen bezel too haha

If it's a watch I plan to keep, I figure in the price of a service into my watch budget. Of course if you intend to mod the watch, the logical time for a movement service would be while the watch is apart for modding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DSSD doesn't have any AR.

A gen ceramic insert is gonna run you around a $1000 if you can even find one.

Those ceramic models arnt cheap to franken.

I'd just buy the best version available and leave it as is. Maybe do the platinum paint mod on the bezel.

Edited by Bc1221
  • Like 1

If you have "bargain constraints" just go with the latest version with Asian clone ETA and see how like it.  If you like it enough you can then start planning your mods (either on that watch or a new one).

Yes. Thats what I am planning to do. Buy the latest version of Asian clone ETA and do at the modding 

I was curious about that. I'd read somewhere it was two sides ar and have read in others that it's just the cyclops. I guess that's my actual answer.

I'm glad cause I may pick up some diamond polish to buff out a scratch on the crystal I picked up. If it was scratched AR, I figured I'd screw it up.

I am curious too. Didn't know the gen and cyclops crystal differences. Guess I gotta read more about it

If it's a watch I plan to keep, I figure in the price of a service into my watch budget. Of course if you intend to mod the watch, the logical time for a movement service would be while the watch is apart for modding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the movement service of watch shall be before or after the modding? Pardon me for the newbie question

DSSD doesn't have any AR.

A gen ceramic insert is gonna run you around a $1000 if you can even find one.

Those ceramic models arnt cheap to franken.

I'd just buy the best version available and leave it as is. Maybe do the platinum paint mod on the bezel.

Thanks for the input and advise

Gotta look around for gen ceramic insert and noted about the price

Gotta buy the latest DSSD Noob V7. Any recommendation on platinum paint mod on the bezel? Thinking of changing the pearl and some modding to 'reduce' the tell tale between the gen

If you buy a gen ceramic insert, you won't need to switch out the pearl.

DSSD doesn't have a cyclop. No need to read up on ARd cyclops.

You might wanna make sure the noob can take a gen insert before spending a bunch of money.

You can do all the mods but it will still have noticeable tells.

Rep hands are noticeably flat compared to gen and you can't put gen hands on a eta or a Asian clone movement. A yuki will take gen hands but no clue if a noob DSSD will take a yuki movement.

I'd highly recommend just collecting the parts and sending everything off to a modder.

No offense but it really doesn't sound like you know what youre doing.

If you buy a gen ceramic insert, you won't need to switch out the pearl.

DSSD doesn't have a cyclop. No need to read up on ARd cyclops.

You might wanna make sure the noob can take a gen insert before spending a bunch of money.

You can do all the mods but it will still have noticeable tells.

Rep hands are noticeably flat compared to gen and you can't put gen hands on a eta or a Asian clone movement. A yuki will take gen hands but no clue if a noob DSSD will take a yuki movement.

I'd highly recommend just collecting the parts and sending everything off to a modder.

No offense but it really doesn't sound like you know what youre doing.

Thanks for the advise. Informative. 

No worries about it hence the reason for asking asking in the forums

I am just a newbie started on the Day 1 like anyone, growing the passion on this hobby when reading and learning more from posts and advises.

I appreciate the sharing of the watch veterans and hobbyists  :)

I believe that the best course for you would be to either buy a new one from a Dealer, or hang around the sales forums as they come up for sale on occasion. The DSSD was a really "hot" watch a few years back when it first came out, but I really don't hear much about it any more. I had two over about a 2 year period from back in 2009. They are nice watches, however  I found them to be somewhat top heavy, and thus they had a tendency to try to "turn Turtle" on my wrist. both of mine were sold relatively quickly, although  I kept one for a while, because I had it relumed, movement serviced and the HEV sealed. Some of the old ones had  Helium Escape valves that were made incorrectly, and they opened from outside pressure rather than inside pressure, these were prone to flooding in you went swimming or snorkeling with them.

Buy one, try it for size, and if you like it, you can then decide how far you want to go with modding. When you start adding parts especially genuine Rolex parts, the costs can go through the roof pretty quickly!! 

• Like 1

I believe that the best course for you would be to either buy a new one from a Dealer, or hang around the sales forums as they come up for sale on occasion. The DSSD was a really "hot" watch a few years back when it first came out, but I really don't hear much about it any more. I had two over about a 2 year period from back in 2009. They are nice watches, however  I found them to be somewhat top heavy, and thus they had a tendency to try to "turn Turtle" on my wrist. both of mine were sold relatively quickly, although  I kept one for a while, because I had it relumed, movement serviced and the HEV sealed. Some of the old ones had  Helium Escape valves that were made incorrectly, and they opened from outside pressure rather than inside pressure, these were prone to flooding in you went swimming or snorkeling with them.

Buy one, try it for size, and if you like it, you can then decide how far you want to go with modding. When you start adding parts especially genuine Rolex parts, the costs can go through the roof pretty quickly!! 

+1

Thanks for sharing your experience with DSSD  :)

Hi Arc,

I have a very Modded DSSD as well as 2 Gen DSSD's , id send the watch off too PDAD Customs as he did mine,  but let me warn you to get all the top mods done and there's alot your up for 2K mate

Heres what mines got

Gen bezel, insert, pearl and case machining to accept the gen parts: $1100
Yuki 3135 clone rolex mvmt with new date disc and custom install (using your gen hands): $535
Mvmt servicing (recommended but not necessary if holding good time) $200
Relume dial $130 including stripping old lume
Relume hands if we are staying with stock mvmt and not using yuki mvmt: $30
Satin dial mod: $25
Ogev text mod: $15
Bracelet work: $35
Waterproof and test: $50

And for what its worth my Modded DSSD will probably be listed over the weekend.

Cheers.

Looks great i Would accept it :)

Hmm however somehow after looking at the first photo for a few times, the bezel alignment is not placed correctly or slainted? Have emailed the TD about it and TD replied angle of photo. Now waiting for another photo with a straighter angle to make sure the bezel is okay.

Concerned as it might affect the modding process

Hmm however somehow after looking at the first photo for a few times, the bezel alignment is not placed correctly or slainted? Have emailed the TD about it and TD replied angle of photo. Now waiting for another photo with a straighter angle to make sure the bezel is okay.

Concerned as it might affect the modding process

Just remember the Crystal is domed mate :) illusions can appear that arent there

Hi Arc,

I have a very Modded DSSD as well as 2 Gen DSSD's , id send the watch off too PDAD Customs as he did mine,  but let me warn you to get all the top mods done and there's alot your up for 2K mate

Heres what mines got

Yuki 3135 clone rolex mvmt with new date disc and custom install (using your gen hands): $535

Cheers.

+1

Wow thanks a lot for the detailed information and pricing for the mods. At least now I learnt there can be so much things to mod..! Don't think I would spend that much as you due to student budget constriants. But would do the waterproofing, pearl, date aligbment and the lume.

Wanted to get the gen bezel but its way over the poor student bargain of mine :(

Just remember the Crystal is domed mate :) illusions can appear that arent there

Just wish to make sure the bezel is alright as going to send for modding and hope to get a better piece with better alignment, maybe can make the life of the person modding a little easier? :)

• 7 months later...

Hi Arc,

I have a very Modded DSSD as well as 2 Gen DSSD's , id send the watch off too PDAD Customs as he did mine, but let me warn you to get all the top mods done and there's alot your up for 2K mate

Heres what mines got

Cheers.

What is the bracelet mode and is it required in the V2 NOOB DSSD?

Thanks for your feedback.