When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Explorer Case-Back Engraving V2

jmb

I scaled the previous program up just a little and put in a fresh .1mm x 30 deg cutter and tried another.  The was engraved about .003" deep and from the close-ups I think this might work.

Although the actual size of the engraving on this example is a little larger than that on a gen case-back I think it looks more "at home"...

post-24124-0-59154900-1419799343_thumb.j

post-24124-0-05916200-1419799350_thumb.j

• Like 1

The 0 in the 1016 looks a bit low????

Why, yes, yes it is!  But, that's the way it was on the gen I copied.  You would be surprised how crooked some stuff is once you import it into a CAD program and start putting down guidelines, etc.

I think JMB did a great job and the engraving is pretty good.

Some font details may take a minor improvement but this is already better than what the previous engraving looked like!

The stamped effect would be possible to be achieved by roughly polishing the engravings with a felt tip, centring it with the centre of the caseback and polish until the desired smoothness is achieved.

The stamped engraving has a definite "V" shape to my eye.  I am going to order some 40deg and 45deg cutters to try and replicate the effect.  Another thing I've noticed is depth differences on some samples, like the stamping die struck heavier on one side, this could also be replicated by not having the piece being engrave a couple thousandths "slanted" with respect to the engraving plane...

As far as producing a stamp, knock yourself out!  Anybody that has this type of machinery, and heat treating expertise, who is interested in making a stamp can PM me for the CAD file...

jMB,

Wonderful work, I'm working on a 1675 case that has no engraving period. if I can send you a gen 1675 case back to make a file of w/ you engrave my blank? The inner lug engravings are very faint on my gen case, are you able to do lug end work w/ your equipt ?

your first case back engraving is terrific.......Best, mcotter