When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch brands and wearer character/personality association

Legend

Guest kingfrog

I prefer to consider myself a polished, professional gentleman and to be reasonably understated. I rock wild socks and purple and blue laces in dress-shoes (Allen Edmond's) and I typically wear nice clothes, Canali, Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, RL Purple Label, Brioni, Borrelli, etc... I find a lot of pleasure in really well made clothes. I don't own a fake Rolex or any rep's but an Omega 300 master I picked up on a whim. I don't see myself getting heavy into reps, more so Frankens that I will work to build myself.

In most days particularly when I'm client facing I wear my Zenith. Others it's the Rolex Datejust 1603, or my Hamilton Tonneau on a lovely band. Casually, I'll wear my Archimede 42mm Flieger, the Omega Rep as a beater, and I am finishing my 5513 Franken nearly all genuine project watch that will be a casual watch and probably rest on a Nato strap.

Here's said Zenith (excuse the horrid desk/carpet, etc, I'm in a real estate office at the moment)

I agree that the AP ROO are very flashy and usually signify new-money or a celebrity wearer. That's partly why I love Adam Levine so much, and his decadent vintage Rolex collection. I think am pretty picky and don't think much of a lot of brands, and wouldn't pay 5 figures or more for anything but Vintage Rolex, Heuer, or new'ish PP, Vacheron, Breguet, Zenith (some of them, they are getting ugly) and Lange or similar. 

Watch brands and wearer character/personality association

That is the heading of this thread. In that regard, I respect you. You know what you like and prefer the finer things in life all the way around. I am not a clothes horse unless you consider Tommy Bahama Camp shirts special.   I understand and respect your choices for Vintage pieces. 

People have asked me why I did not instead spend $40K on a Vintage Corvette. I explain to them that is a whole differnt hobby. That is about repairing, restoring and shows and trophies. None of which interst me. I park where I want to and am not OC about my car. I am not a "Vette guy" Just a bucket list check off. Next Summer I will sell it abd buy an RC350 F, Just passing through Vette world like Iam passing through Rep watch world. It is a strange place when someone claims they are not going to spend $6000 on a watch to make "Rolex rich" Yet aspire to advertise the Rolex brand on a replica. I am trying to understand this hobby. 

I mentioned before, I have likely less than most here and that is why I would never buy a replica of an  AP, Patek or my favorite Rolex Smurf because no one who knows me would believe I would spend that much on a watch. My "kit" does not represent like yours might. I don't wear the expensive shoes and don't even own a suit. For the few times I might need one I rent. I don't "get" fine cigars and fine wines Both seem to be a waste of money to me. But for others it's their hobby, I understand and respect those who actually CRAFT their won watches. I get that. but just buying them because one thinks "its silly to make Rolex rich" baffles me. If you don;t want to "make Rolex rich", Rock a Steinhart Homage.

My personal rule is if "I refuse to buy the real thing or would look silly wearing a $30K watch" I cannot wear the rep. I don't LOOK the part from head to toe. I don't have (or want)  the Lambo nor need the million dollar bank account.  That keeps it real for me.

The Rolex forums will not allow the word "rep" to be used, There are no "replicas" only "counterfeits"  No discussion of counterfeit watches is allowed.That is an instant ban. They are way too sensitive as well in the opposite way. A rep Rolex sold me on the real thing!! I got to "test drive" one and decided what I liked and what I did not like and bought the perfect gen for me.

I surely don't think people have to have a appreciation for the inner workings of a watch to enjoy it any more than I would tune up my own car. People can appreciate a fine watch on it's face alone.
Edited by kingfrog

My next watch hopefully bidding on ebay. I don't know if this is a Homage of an elite watch maker, but I like the design and the price is right, 

20141112154058627.jpg

I wouldn't do that if I were you... I've heard they have huge problems with the movements and over-all QC. That's why you can pick them up on fleabay for $35-$75. 

Guest kingfrog

I wouldn't do that if I were you... I've heard they have huge problems with the movements and over-all QC. That's why you can pick them up on fleabay for $35-$75. 

Too late I have a bid in. I bought eight watches from AliExpress yesterday. If half of them work I will be happy. Spent a whopping $120.

There are guys who love the Parnis brand. That is where I heard of them on WatchuSeek. None mentioned issues.(except for the usual impatience  "I had to wait six weeks for delivery" as if China was in California  They jump the gun and start ripping the seller because their watch is not at their door in three days.

Oh Well I have spent $60 on worse things. 

The Explorer in my Sig is one of them....and that was three times the amount. It works but it's ugly as hell. I bought the colors.... I will give it away to the eventual buyer of my Harley. as a bonus and will tell them its a fake. 

Parnis is hit and miss. They have a homage to the Hulblot. If I win the auction and the watch is ok. I will order the Hulblot look a like. Some of them use Seagull movements but yeah QC is all over the place. Not all that much different than certain reps. Especially the A7750s. I would not take a risk for even $300 on that movement. But for $50 I would risk it.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/movements-these-parnis-watches-1307634.html

Edited by kingfrog

Someone recently did a similar thread for watch brands-car brands association.

I would like to get the opinion of everyone regarding what wearer traits you associate the various watch brands with?

I think this would differ from culture to culture, or from country to country.

Personally, I find Rolex wearers to be a more conservative bunch, more matured in disposition, and relatively more down to earth compared with wearers of other luxury brands like AP.

I generally consider AP wearers to be more "showy", living it up in general, and having louder tastes in life. Very similar to wearers of Hublot.

My dad has been wearing a Patek Philippe since I was young, so I associate the brand with the distinguished gentleman who is successful, somber, and likes to whoop my butt for the slightest mistakes. Ok that last bit was a tad too personal but you get my drift. :lol:    

Let the list roll gentlemen. 

Agreed. But to add on, Rolex wearers are usually very cheap-asses, arguably many get rolexes as it has one of the best resale value. So you don't feel like you're just wasting and throwing money into someone else's bucket. I know a close buddy who earns $50,000 nett a month and only spends $500, and ofc he wears a rolex ;)

Traditionally, with a few notable exceptions (Arab sheiks, rap artistes, etc), Rolex & Patek tended to be worn by those whose habiliment was more stylishly conservative. Old money, if you will. While those who wore larger, more modern watches tended to be more fashionable. The nouveau riche.

Today, with Rolex chasing (& often designing for) the Asian market, which tends to overcompensate for decades of communist-imposed anti-displays of wealth, the demarcations are no longer so clear.

I mostly see vintage Rolex on NATO straps with the casual business uniform of sport coat, pocket square, chinos, double monks. Check out Styleforum. I'm sure the vibe is one of adding a dash of industrial chic to a carefully constructed outfit.

Agree with Freddy about modern Rolex and the Asian market. 20% of total sales are in HK. Particularly gold.