When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brushed and Oiled Bracelets?

IAN2109

Hi, take the bracelet off the watch and leave it soaking (1hr) 24 hrs in baby oil. Wash it off with a toothbrush. It will feel much better/ make for a huge improvement.

Others use WD40 or the ultramodern non-greasy Teflon-based bike-lubes but I´m  not a fan of that.

i take the bracelet off and use a scotchbrite pad or steel wool to re-brush. just be sure you go straight up and down.

repeat until youre happy with the result.

put bracelet in zip loc bag and spray WD40 in there. enough to cover the entire bracelet.

soak overnight.

wash with soap and water.

then i rub petroleum jelly in to the joints and wipe dry with paper towels.

should feel as smooth as gen.

I sometimes soak bracelets in WD40 over night. This does a great job of dissolving the gunk between the links and pins (of even a new bracelet) and lubricates it fairly well. The only downside is the need to rinse the bracelet extremely well to remove the WD40 smell. Works great if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Great video above.  Picked up a couple of things to try.      

I like refinishing bracelets.  I have tried many different products and techniques. Through trial and error this is the method that seems to work the best with the tools I currently posses.  

Soak in plain mineral oil over night in a baggy then a really good washing with dish soap and a tooth brush.  Then I do the brushing.  Depending on the bracelet, I may use a dremel with a synthetic steel wool type pad to remove any deep scratches, rough areas on a clasp or imperfections or if I am removing a polished edge or polished piece of the buckle.  Then use a medium course scotch bright type synthetic steel wool pad going in the same direction to keep the grain consistent, then finish with a 000 fine (usually grey colored) synthetic pad.  Important to keep the grain consistent and only go in one direction.  Then use the dremel and some green jewelers rouge to polish any needed areas. Then another cleaning in soap with a tooth brush.  Then finally another night in a baggy with dry bike chain lube like white lightening. Then one of the keys with the bike lube is to let is sit out of the baggy for sometime to evaporate and dry out.  Then all that is left is the Teflon which can be easily removed with a dry toothbrush and a micro fiber cloth. Once this is done there really is no smell and the bracelet is nice and smooth and quiet and looks great.  

For a couple to a few hours of work you can get some pretty nice results.  Sooner I later I will buy a proper mounted buffing wheel.  

Oh and for benefits: feels and wears better, looks better, is clean and generally much quieter.  Gets rid of those dreaded rattles.      

• 1 month later...