When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

sourcing 6263

iceberg1459

The first one you can get here: http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1189

The Big Red you can source from any Trusted Dealer, I got one from trusty time a while back that was pretty nice. But it had a HORRIBLE bracelet. 

But beware, in real life, they look nothing close to gen. It will not fool ANYONE who knows genuine Daytonas. But then again, the only way to get close to one of these is to build a franken. 

Those look gen to my untrained eye.  Some of the DW builds are pretty nice.  I found one from another member a few months back and really like it.  It is a nice watch.  There is a really nice franken for sale in the sales area right now.    

Pusher position is an obvious one. Many Asian 7750 based reps have pushers that are both equal distance from the winding crown. The more accurate layout (as per gen) has a start/stop pusher that is positioned slightly closer to the winding crown than the reset pusher. Look at some images and you'll see what I mean. FYI You can get a case that takes the cheaper asian (or swiss eta) movement WITH the correct pusher layout, then you're into dial issues but there the difference is less noticeable. You need to do a lot of research into a daytona build and find what's right for you and your wallet. Good luck.

• Like 1

Subdial spacing and the thickness of the case are the big tells, other than the pushers mentioned above.

Valjoux 72 based builds are the closest looking to gen, but also the most expensive and difficult to source parts to put together. This is what one looks like ... :)

IMG_20150110_130302_zpsecd280fd.jpg

Toro's is based on the ST-19 movement. The 6 o'clock subdial is too low on the dial and the hand is fixed (doesn't move). It also has the dreaded 110 spacing issue on the bezel. You can modify the movement to fit it to a gen spec dial, but it involves some work.