When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lapping machine project: Stage 2

dbane883

For those of you that have no idea what a lapping machine does, here's some background info:

http://www.rwgforum.net/index.php?/topic/173852-Lapping-Machine-project%2E--Stage-1

After having accumulated the motor, speed controller and other hardware, it's getting closer to the goal line as the mounting plates are being assembled. Struggled for awhile on how to rig up the horizontal rail as well as the case holder itself. I'm going to be using a decent quality pan/tilt camera mount that will slide on the rail.

I've also made about 6 lapping blanks that will each have its own abrasive disc so I just simple swap blanks rather than using one permanent blank as I'm only using 1 motor. Some lapping machines use 2-3 motors.

More progress pics to come in the next couple of weeks.

231239d43e75caffc16e95fdabdee9c8.jpg

609e88a267a1b094ab97bee0238694c7.jpg

more pics of the case holder please.

Well still need to fabricate the spindle that will allow the case holder mandrel to spin freely. Trying to emulate this:

609e9515f6c8ec51d5a80473b57dc1c9.jpg

Needs to be able to slide on X Axis, rotate horizontally, rotate vertically and be able to spin, all at the same time.

Oil filled pan/tilt mount is a good starting point.

Gimme another couple weeks and it should be done

• 2 weeks later...