When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 6497 running really fast

netniet

i have got a Asian 6497 which is running about a minute per hour too fast. From what I can see the hairspring is sticking together, and therefore it is running not very well anymore. The movement was cleaned and oiled before I got it, and on the photo's of the watch in the sales thread it looked good.

Probably during the transport, or during wearing it the last couple of days this issue occured. Yesterday the movement suddenly stopped, which I noticed a couple of hours later, and a little bit of shaking the watch was needed to start it again.

What can I do? Should I let it run until it stops, and then try to use a very small screwdriver to seperate the coils? Or if it persists do a full cleaning of the movement, and maybe replace the balance wheel to fix this.

Or does anyone know any other solution to fix this issue?

Thanks guys.

So first check will be to see if the hairspring is magnetized. If that is the case can I demagnetize it with one of these cheapo demagnetizers?

post-51669-0-19321900-1424251222_thumb.j

post-51669-0-90297300-1424251226_thumb.j

And if it was over oiled and there is residue on the spring. I need to remove the entire balance [censored] and dip it in some one dip to clean it. Is that correct?

I already was planning to buy some new tools like a timegrapher and a oiler set, but it seems that I have to order these a bit sooner as planned to resolve this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I have send this watch to my watchsmith together with my HH514 (this one was sent to him for a spa treatment), and he told me the watch was running fast because of a magnetized hairspring. He has fixed this, and just to be sure I had asked him to clean and oil the movement again.