When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just wondering? Is everything being routed thru Chicago Now?

panerai153

I have followed the seizure thread here and on the other forums lately, and my feelings were where your package landed in the USA was probably based more on where you lived than anything else. Case in point, I have gotten or in the process of receiving three parcels from Singapore. All three have been routed through Miami. I live in the deep south USA, so Miami, Atlanta, Dallas  or Houston would be the closest major airports to me. I was surprised to see these routed through Miami, although every package my wife sends to friends and family in Europe clears through Miami ISC.

What brings this subject up, I ordered a watch for my wife a week ago, It was shipped EMS from Guangzhou. I got a tracking notice this morning, "Processed through ISC Chicago" and then "Inbound to customs". I have gotten quite a lot of packages from all over the world, and this is the first time  that I can remember having a package go through Chicago. So, I'm just wondering is this the "luck of the draw" so to speak, or has the US Customs worked out something with the Chinese government or the freight forwarders to have a all small packages routed through Chicago. I know that there has been a couple of long threads here and on other forums about the problems with customs in Chicago. It would be interesting to see how diverse this is across the country. I mean, are folks in Maine and Washington State and Texas for instance all having packages routed through Chicago. Another thing, to combat this problem would it be feasible to have watches drop shipped from another location. Like I said, packages from Singapore are all going through Miami at least to me. How about shipping through there, or possibly from the UK? If watches continue to be seized in Chicago, I would expect that the dealers are going to have to be a little more creative to get watches into the USA, and I'm not talking about concealing them in toys!! Having to replace a bunch of watches certainly has to affect their bottom line to some extent. What is crazy about this deal, I almost went with Watch Station instead of puretime, because of the price, but since they offer no warranties or delivery guarantees, I got scared off.    

In the past I've had reps routed thru San Francisco or Chicago never Dallas or Miami and I live in Houston. I haven't bought since the posts about the possibile crackdowns. Since there a few watches that don't seem to pop up in the m2m section often I will be keeping an eye on this thread before my next purchase...

I just did a little more reading, and found that there are five ISC's, New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. All International mail ibound and outbound travels through one of these five centers. So this would indicate that no matter where you live, your international parcel would have to be put on a plane that is going to one of these five destinations, as they are the only ones equipped to handle incoming mail. What was surprising to me, the volume of mail handled through the service centers has been going down rather than up. There are some within the USPS who question whether or not the USPS even needs these International service Centers, but that begs the question, why are most of our watches seemingly going through Chicago? 

Good question, panerai.

I guess it's a possibility that they decided to organize all shipments coming from Guangzhou to be routed through Chicago with a special team assembled to look for fakes.

But, from what I've read there is so much stuff being shipped from Guangzhou, legitimate items, that I think Chicago customs would be absolutely overwhelmed. Not practical.

A question that was asked of Toro on another forum but never quite answered, was, of all his shipments to the US, what percentage actually made it through Chi customs, we only hear about the ones getting nabbed. Maybe a lot of watches get through actually versus how many get confiscated.

Why only Chicago customs though (for now)?

BTW I live in Chicago and, after collecting reps for over 10 years this makes me very upset.

This just in this morn next door FYI .

"Posted Today, 04:25 AM

I just got the word that my order for the new V5 Sub is now in the hands of US Customs in Chicago. My go to TD also informed me that things are "very strict" currently which is a bummer to say the least. I'm thinking it was bound to happen eventually.

On a bright note a full refund for funds was in my PayPal account at the same time but I'd much rather have the watch."

Seems something afoot.............

I have read all of the posts on both RWI an RG related to this problem, and it looks like there are only a couple of alternatives, short of not buying anything from China. One seems to be resorting to Registered mail through Hong Kong, decidedly slower, and who really knows if it's any safer or if it's safer now, how long that will last. the next would be some sort of triangle shipping like they do for EU customers by shipping to a "safe" EU country and then forwarding to the destination. That also is more expensive, because the buyer is going to have to bear two shipping charges. However for the time being, the situation in Chicago seems to be getting worse rather than easing off.  The fact that the customer Mike eluded to having the money put back in his PayPal account tells me that either the customer is afraid of getting another watch confiscated, or the seller is getting reluctant to reship?

I have a watch that I purchased for my wife, along with a box and a separate strap/buckle for another watch sitting in Chicago customs right now, was inbound into customs at 8:43 AM yesterday. That's less than 24 hours, but in the past most of my packages have moved in and out of customs within a few hours. I do know this, if the parcel is seized, I will not have another one shipped EMS, at least until all this quiets down, or I will have it shipped to someone in another country and have them forward the package to me. If It does make it through, I'm going to count my lucky stars and shut down my buying except for M2M preferably in the CONUS.

This has got to be hurting the dealers, in two ways, first off as the amount of seizures grow and get reported, it scares off potential buyers. Second, they have got to be taking a beating on replacement watches and shipping. Toro said in a post on one of the other forums that he had over 20 watches seized last month and I would suspect that he is probably one of the smaller dealers, so if he's lost that many how many have the bigger dealers like puretime and trusty lost? Of course this is just what the luxury brands and customs are shooting for. They want to instill fear in the hearts of potential buyers as well as sellers, to the point that people are scared to buy or sell.

What is strange to me is this change in focus to intercepting small packages with one watch or a bag or rep bracelet or earrings. They are picking off a tiny fraction of the goods that get in to the USA every day. It's a total waste of resources, while these guys are busy in Chicago opening individual packages with one watch, the undermanned staff at every seaport in the USA is letting whole containers filled with counterfeit goods from watches to auto parts to pharmaceuticals get through. Wearing a rep watch never killed anyone, but installing inferior brake pads on someone's car very well could, as could filling  heart med prescriptions with fake pills.  

I won't trust anymore goods going thru Chicago, chances are very high it's not gonna get in your hands. Try and have it shipped via Registered out of HK and sent to an address in CA if you have relatives in the area and then USPS Priority to you.

My last two packages with 3 pieces each made it this way to Chicago.

My package has been in customs Chicago now for three days. I'm not having high hopes about it getting through. Over on another forum, someone said one of the TD's is having about 1 in 5 packages seized!! Pretty big loss for everyone.

Released from Customs!! It went out of customs and had no tracking updates til this morning, It showed received at the regional PO in our state capitol, in and out of there in a couple of hours, should beat my local PO in a bit, probably can pick up this afternoon or tomorrow morning. this one caused me too much anguish, not going to order anything else until it looks like things have quieted down. 

Greay news guess alot of this Chicago Thing is Also getting out of hand since people are ancious about there shipments i wont believe us customs ever Will become as strict as some of our EU countries including my own In Denmark and italy germany to name some of the Heavy hitters

Greay news guess alot of this Chicago Thing is Also getting out of hand since people are ancious about there shipments i wont believe us customs ever Will become as strict as some of our EU countries including my own In Denmark and italy germany to name some of the Heavy hitters

True we get a free ride compared to you guys as no VAT it's not worth it to look at all those little boxes. :)

Good news "A"! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Thanks guys  it was a watch for my wife plus and AP Strap and buckle (Had to buy the damn rubber strap to get the 20mm buckle)!! Express mail post lady drove up in my driveway and I got it and my wife loves it! Might get a photo if I can pry it away from her. 

There is a post over on RWI with a link to the seizures/ forfeitures posted on March 20th. Link:http://www.forfeiture.gov/pdf/CBP/OfficialNotification.pdf
It's pretty interesting reading, shows a lot of different stuff from obvious drug seizures to illegal alien seizures, lots of drugs like anabolic steroids, different counterfeit prescription meds, Money and quite a few genuine Rolex watches, which are illegal to import into the USA, you can wear one in, but you better not mail it! Surprisingly looking through all the Chicago seizures, there were very few watches, Looks like they are getting a lot more counterfeit clothing, medicine, etc.

I found this very interesting. This is the statute that is cited when  items are seized for copyright/ trademark infringement. 19USC1526(E) - Merchandise bearing American trade-mark

a) Importation prohibited
Except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, it shall be unlawful to import into the United States any merchandise of foreign manufacture if such merchandise, or the label, sign, print, package, wrapper, or receptacle, bears a trademark owned by a citizen of, or by a corporation or association created or organized within, the United States, and registered in the Patent and Trademark Office by a person domiciled in the United States, under the provisions of sections 81 to 109 of title 15, and if a copy of the certificate of registration of such trademark is filed with the Secretary of the Treasury, in the manner provided in section 106 of said title 15, unless written consent of the owner of such trademark is produced at the time of making entry.

Seizure and forfeiture
Any such merchandise imported into the United States in violation of the provisions of this section shall be subject to seizure and forfeiture for violation of the customs laws.

© Injunction and damages
Any person dealing in any such merchandise may be enjoined from dealing therein within the United States or may be required to export or destroy such merchandise or to remove or obliterate such trademark and shall be liable for the same damages and profits provided for wrongful use of a trade-mark, under the provisions of sections 81 to 109 of title 15.

(d) Exemptions; publication in Federal Register; forfeitures; rules and regulations
(1) The trademark provisions of this section and section 1124 of title 15, do not apply to the importation of articles accompanying any person arriving in the United States when such articles are for his personal use and not for sale if

(A) such articles are within the limits of types and quantities determined by the Secretary pursuant to paragraph (2) of this subsection, and

such person has not been granted an exemption under this subsection within thirty days immediately preceding his arrival.

(2) The Secretary shall determine and publish in the Federal Register lists of the types of articles and the quantities of each which shall be entitled to the exemption provided by this subsection. In determining such quantities of particular types of trade-marked articles, the Secretary shall give such consideration as he deems necessary to the numbers of such articles usually purchased at retail for personal use.

(3) If any article which has been exempted from the restrictions on importation of the trade-mark laws under this subsection is sold within one year after the date of importation, such article, or its value (to be recovered from the importer), is subject to forfeiture. A sale pursuant to a judicial order or in liquidation of the estate of a decedent is not subject to the provisions of this paragraph.

(4) The Secretary may prescribe such rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this subsection.

So from my interpretation of the above statute, it is not unlawful to bring in goods that violate the trademark/copyright laws, as long as it's for personal use, cannot be resold for one year, and who knows what the limits are? I would expect that bringing in a suitcase full of watches will get you in  trouble, watches seized and probably a fine. Bring in one or two, and you should be within the limits set by the secretary, who isn't telling anyone what the limits are !!!

The records do not reflect the any time period past the first weeks in January, so  watch seizures from rep forum members may not show up in the records for a couple of months.

So, this seems to reinforce what I've always thought was lawful regarding buying reps if you live in the US - that if it's one or two for personal use, it's ok.

So the Chi Customs guys are not following the law, right?

Of course, which one of us who has had their rep confiscated is going to question them.