When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back from the AD

Lo'

So today the AD calls and tells me that my 5504 is back from service after "only" two months.

I picked it up on my way home and now it's back on my wrist.

*happy thoughts*

Here's a pic

post-49167-142679141755.jpg

sent forn mungalaxy jote 3 usong tapatalk and this crappy onsc4een keyolboars

Thanks a lot. I bought this on a whim a couple of years ago, and paid a very fair price for it, just to discover later on that this particular reference is quite rare. The kind of things that do not happen very often. :)

• Like 1

We (Matt and I) just build my wife a 1002 with silver dial.  Funny I took her to the AD and was going to splurge on one of the new ladies models and she did not like them.  So then we looked a hundreds of pictures online and she does not care for dates or cyclops so in the end she liked the very plain SS 1002 with silver stick dial.  Matt built her a beauty--late 60's model.  I will post some pictures once it arrives.       

What made me buy it back then was its clean understated look. Then someone explained that it basically is an Explorer with an Air King face and I was in heaven :D I even found a gen "3 6 9 super precision " dial but the seller was a tad too greedy so I laid down and avoided. I briefly considered going rep and buy a super precision dial from Minh, then I was cautioned about the risk of an incompatibility between dial and case; chiefly in regard to diameter, pinion hole and position of the feet. Since Minh's piece was surely not free either I just let this one go too.

Now I'm glad I did and, apparently so is the AD which has proposed to buy it back.

• Like 1

We (Matt and I) just build my wife a 1002 with silver dial. Funny I took her to the AD and was going to spurge on one of the new ladies models and she did not like them. So then we looked a hundreds of pictures online and she does not care for dates or cyclops so in the end she liked the very plain SS 1002 with silver stick dial. Matt built her a beauty--late 60's model. I will post some pictures once it arrives.

I had a gen 16014 but sold it because I almost never used it. Now I wish I had not. :)

Is the 5504 model 34mm or 36mm?

i've got the 5500 Air King with the 1530 movement. As I recall, it dates from 1959.  Gold shell on a gold shell rivet bracelet (for now and sometimes on a dark brown croc strap). Mines 34 mm.

photo_zpsb2b49163.jpg

Holy s**t!!!  :Jumpy:  this is amazing!!! 

Is the 5504 model 34mm or 36mm?

Hi Alligoat, 35mm. Basically the same watch as yours but a tad bigger and with a cal. 1530 movement while the 5500 version came in two flavours with a choice of 1520 or 1530 movement.

This is a quite interesting read on the subject: http://rolexblog.blogspot.it/2013/07/the-complete-history-of-rolex-air-king.html

Couple teaser pics from Matt on the wifes build.

9e67d8d37e6e7f34188d6937be74f375.jpg

a8ffe049b92560756d3b7312ebc3dbbf.jpg

Matt is the master of all-things-DJ/Perpetual and this is one of the finest examples of his craft according to me. So clean and sober yet so stylish, perfect on a woman's wrist!

Excellent choice D. :D

• Like 1

Matt is the master of all-things-DJ/Perpetual and this is one of the finest examples of his craft according to me. So clean and sober yet so stylish, perfect on a woman's wrist!

Excellent choice D. :D

Thank you very much.  Very kind of you to say.  Tru that on Matt.  Send him a pic and told him what I was after and he sourced all the gen parts in no time.  He is one of my favorite people on the planet and a great WS.  I still think it is funny that she picked a watch that I would pick.  Domed plexi, no date, simple dial, oyster braclet.  I will do a complete write up on this once I have it in hand as it is a pretty cool story. 

Thank you very much.  Very kind of you to say.  Tru that on Matt.  Send him a pic and told him what I was after and he sourced all the gen parts in no time.  He is one of my favorite people on the planet and a great WS.  I still think it is funny that she picked a watch that I would pick.  Domed plexi, no date, simple dial, oyster braclet.  I will do a complete write up on this once I have it in hand as it is a pretty cool story. 

i will gladly read about it. 

• 2 months later...

Lo, where did you get that beautiful leather band? Looks like a Hodinkee...

Hi. I agree with you, very nice band but it's more looks than substance, a plain leather strap from Morellato which I have paid like 10$ and is surely not going to last as long as Hodinkee's stuff.