When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

10 People Have Gen Watches And Somebody Tells Them That Are Fake..and 10 People Have Repsand Somebody Tells Them That They Are Reps...

elprimerozen

If somebody has a good originalwatch and somebody else says to him that he is wearing a rep...he will be more [censored] or sad than another guy with a good rep on his hand that somebody will tell him that the watch you are wearing is a rep? what do you say?or what do yo answer in a situation like that? :g:

Yea, this is one complex way of asking the question! I THINK you are asking:

Who would be more angry, a guy with a genuine watch who is accused of wearing a fake, or a guy with a fake watch who is also accused of wearing a fake?

I think 9 times out of 10 the genuine guy would not care. First of all if he is a knowledgable collector HE knows it is genuine and that is all he really cares about. If he is just a guy who had some cash and bought a nice watch (ie; most, but not all Rolex owners) he would just dismiss it as jellousy or being illinformed or what have you. Agin HE knows it is genuine so who cares.

On the other hand a guy with a fake, who is actually trying to fool someone, would in essence be busted. His cover blown and he would be left either feeling foolish or continuing a charade and insisting it is genuine (thus digging a deeper hole). If he is a guy wearing a fake who does not mind sharing the fact that his watsh is not genuine then he likely would not be embarassed at all, and simply aknowledge that yes, it is a copy.

I think 9 times out of 10 the genuine guy would not care. First of all if he is a knowledgable collector HE knows it is genuine and that is all he really cares about. If he is just a guy who had some cash and bought a nice watch (ie; most, but not all Rolex owners) he would just dismiss it as jellousy or being illinformed or what have you. Agin HE knows it is genuine so who cares.

Could have not said it better myself.....

G

If the owner of the gen is wearing a Rolex, then I am certain that this individual is quite jaded to people calling his genuine watch a fake :lol:

haha, i always assume that with a gen, its to be expected somehow. though the only people that have commented have been somewhat annoying or lacking upstairs anyways. perhaps its more to do with their lack of social skills that they assume and stare loudly that it was bought in a holiday resort from a seller with "special gold" chains for sale also.

wearing vintage avoids this quite spectacularly strangely enough. i cant decide if its also having no date mag but it always seems to just pass under everyones radar. i actually think that to those who do notice, it seems like its so fake that a comment is entirely wasted :)

i had a fun chat outside the rolex AD yesterday with another gen owner on his lunch break. i was looking in before going in to try on a new SD when two guys stopped beside me and started commenting on the various models adding that i should buy the £65k gold and diamond DJ. i laughed about the look on my bank managers face when i went with a business plan for money that involved me just buying a hugely expensive watch. one then stated that it didnt look like it was worth the money then added, that one does though and pulled up his friends sleeve, who was wearing the same watch but with diamonds on the face too, and very real.

he just laughed and joked that his had only been £10 from a market stall even though it was definately gen.

i winked at him and asked him how many beetles he had had to replace to keep it going, adding that i was fed up putting them into my 40 year old 5512 and showed him.

we all had a good chuckle and then discussed him wanting to buy one for his son but figuring it was best to keep the money for when the son tried to put him into a home later in life.

all good fun. i really think that regardless of brand, many gen owners buy them for their own satisfaction and dont really care whether anyone notices or not, or whether they think they are fake or real. i know i love the character and more importantly the mechanics and engineering of mine. thats where my pleasure comes from and so a comment regarding its authenticity just gives me a smile.

theres always going to be a section who want them for show and so this would have a great bearing on them and cause them to get hot under the collar however i very much think this is definately a small minority.

IMHO having a rep called out when it was somehow smarts more. there would be, due to human nature, a feeling slightly of embarrasment irrespective of whether you actually cared or not, some mixed emotions if you have worked hard on it to get it close and no personal satisfaction about it actually being genuine regardless.

the frustrating thing is that 90% of th time, this question regarding gen or not comes in the main, not from any actual insight into the small details the show it up but a more widely held scepticism of expensive watches from brands people have heard of.

with this in mind, i always just completely ignore the question or make a joke about it unless it was a close friend regardless of whats on my wrist

Edited by thewightstuff

i really think that regardless of brand, many gen owners buy them for their own satisfaction and dont really care whether anyone notices or not, or whether they think they are fake or real. i know i love the character and more importantly the mechanics and engineering of mine. thats where my pleasure comes from and so a comment regarding its authenticity just gives me a smile.

Indeed. I agree completely, yet this very reason is why I prefer to build frankensteins. I build my watches for my own enjoyment; for this reason, I take even more pride when someone asks about the watch on my wrist, and I can reply that I put it together from parts. This usually becomes a topic of discussion as most people are intrigued with the idea of building something like this. Most then end up asking 'can you build me one, too?'.

:)

I have both and have had both accused and the fake call out is more fun and more facinating to play with. When a jerk who thinks any expensive watch that sparkles must be a knock off accuses my 98%+ replicas of being such I simply look him in the eye and say "You think this is a fake?" Most of the time, the next words out of his mouth are "That's a real.....???!!!" So far, I have never had a replica knowlegeable person call out a replica and I wouldn't care if they did. I would shake hands and say "Mon Ami!!!"

My discussions with interested and facinated newcomers to the world of high quality replicas have been far more satisfying than talking about my genuine Omega SMP Chrono to another Omega owner. I think the world of high quality Swiss watches is facinating but I also think the world of 1/20th priced 98% copies holds it's own special, a little bit naughty appeal.

Actually it did happen to me ,, :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was wearing my Gen Pam 001B when some one came to me and said is this is a panari “ he was wearing what looked like a pam 111,

Anyway I said yes it is . and he asked to see it , I gave it to him and he gos : that is a fake man !!! this model should have a clear case back like mine “ His was wearing an earlier model Rep with the wrong bridge “ but he thought and paid for it as a gen .

I ended up explaining the difference between Pam 001 and a pam 111 , and sticking it in his face that he infact was the one with a Rep . :yu:

Poor guy , I which he would not had to be cruel to me , I would have figured a more gentle way to till him he was ripped off. ;)

Actually it did happen to me ,, :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was wearing my Gen Pam 001B when some one came to me and said is this is a panari “ he was wearing what looked like a pam 111,

Anyway I said yes it is . and he asked to see it , I gave it to him and he gos : that is a fake man !!! this model should have a clear case back like mine “ His was wearing an earlier model Rep with the wrong bridge “ but he thought and paid for it as a gen .

I ended up explaining the difference between Pam 001 and a pam 111 , and sticking it in his face that he infact was the one with a Rep . :yu:

Poor guy , I which he would not had to be cruel to me , I would have figured a more gentle way to till him he was ripped off. ;)

I was a student in medical school in Italy...and a friend of mine was stoped on the road by a man..this man had in his hand a Cartier automatic...my friend payed him and took the watch for about 200euros..after 2 years the watch stoped and i toled him that he has to take the watch for service to see what went wrong and stoped...i toled him to throwaway the watch if the watch maker couldnot fix it...the watch maker called him the next day to say that the watch was ok and only a service was needed...and that the watch was a GEN!!!I still feel stupid that it wasnt me the one who bought this Gen cartier for only 200euros(the watch was stolen for sure) :(

I've never had anyone accuse my gen Rolex as being fake. I have said this before but the exact opposite happens to me. Because most of my friends know I am into watches, and that I own several very nice watches they just assume ALL of my watches are genuine and expensive. Since they generally know very little I could be wearing a Timex and they would assume it to be a $5K watch which is quite ammusing. In fact I was wearing a fake PAM a year or two back and a friend made a comment about it. Since I never keep the fact that a particular watch is fake a secret I let him know that it was inexpensive and a copy of a genuine. He flat did not believe me. He thought I was trying to be modest or I was embarassed about spending so much on watches or something like that. I had to agrue with the guy for like 10 minutes before I convinced him it was in fact fake. Of course a week later he had me order two watches for him, one for himself and the other for his dad.

If somebody has a good originalwatch and somebody else says to him that he is wearing a rep...he will be more [censored] or sad than another guy with a good rep on his hand that somebody will tell him that the watch you are wearing is a rep? what do you say?or what do yo answer in a situation like that? :g:

If somebody has a good originalwatch and somebody else says to him that he is wearing a rep

How many peopel really know anything about watches. For most people Rolex is the most know brand but when you show them a patek or some other small brand they don't even know what it is.

Are you really [censored] when someone is saying this. Maybe this statement is saying I don't know a [censored] about watches and I don't like you, so to [censored] you off you just tell het guy he is wearing a rep.

Also I will depend what kind of gen watch you are wearing. Rolex altough expensive is "in my eyes" a brand that people buy to show off, I have money and can afford an expensive watch. So telling most off these guys the are wearing a rep is really bad for them as they like to show of their gold gen rolex.

A Petek can be more expensive but it is not a watch to show you have money, meaning most normal people don't even know the brand or it's price (sure here on this board most do but in normal life most don't). People that buy a patek are different and telling them they have a rep will probably make them laugh as for most of them they don't buy the watch to show off and it's not for their ego.

The ten with gens dont care what is said..........I have gens and reps and enjoy both but there is nothing like the way my gens make me feel, if you called it a fake i'd just wink..............If you called my rep a rep? I would probably ask, why do you say that?....."just to see if they know what they are talking about,".........................I myself would never call anyone out unless they were trying to sell it as genuine............"but thats not to say i am calling you out inside my head.".................Cheers, Wan

Several comments above are 100% sharable... :)

I think that when somebody insinuates that your very well made and upgraded rep, is a fake, he (or she), would say the same even if you would wear a gen, because very few people can spot those little things, only actual experts, or crazy people like us rep's maniac collectors :D

So the best way to react, is to behave as it was a gen, simply saying "do you think so?"

Personally, I tell to all my friends that my reps are reps and my gens are gens... :) , because I can explain in details to my friends, what's the sense of it...

But sometimes, to somebody i don't know, it's better to do not say anything about it and let them think what they want.

But, the owner of a gen, if he really cares about his honor (and his status symbol), could always say:

Do you bet?..., let's go to the AD shop and let's ask them if it's real or not... :bleh: