When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another budget 1655 explorer build

denimhead

Well the itch hasn't stopped with me and the Rolex 1655 explorer model, decided to do a nice budget build. I'm in the process of having my phong bezel modded to fit a gen spec T116 plexi as for some reason it's just a tad too small once installing it onto the cartel case. I just need to ask Mr Daz to drill the lug holes and perhaps remove the gear to make it a non adjustable 24hr hand function as per the gen 1575

Cheers DH

post-12988-0-68361200-1428762504_thumb.j

• Like 1

Good work so far. I'm planning to do a 1675 using the Cartel 1655 as a starting point. When you say a lot of metal needs to be removed, is this from the inside shape or outside, or all over?

In order to create the right shape for the crown guards on a 1655 and 1675 build you need to use a dreamel with a grinding head that's around 15mm in diameter then use the rear of the case as a guide line. There's an inner ridge that you need to grind down too. In the case of the 1655 the case needs to sit flush with the bezel at the points at 4 and 8. Your looking at removing about 2mm at this point then need to taper this to the lug hole. Hope that makes sense! If you have a look at the1655 qc pictures on Josh's site then compare the case to mine you'll see the difference.

Cheers DH

What a beauty. I really like the NOS look of it. I hate it when a watch looks like the patina was over done. This is perfect!

Thanks rower, yeah I'm a bit bored with the whole vintage over done look, the White lume dial on joshs 1655 is actually very good and very close to the beyeler mk6 dial.

The hands look nice! What source?

Also I noticed that sternkreuz has another crystal for rolex ref 116, its .2mm smaller in diameter than the xs302.450

Maybe you could use this one so you won't have to mod the phong bezel?

The smaller one is xs300.158

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rolex-generic-acrylic-cyclops-glass-with-date-lens?code=C8496

Edited by watchguyusa1

• 9 months later...

Any chance of letting me know how you got on with this build. Ive just bought a BP 1655 (is this cartel?).

I plan on sending it to Daz for the lug holes to be modded and some dial work.

The case work you describe is my real issue. I have recently bought a dremel, but would need greater guidance on how the case modifications need to be done. Although daunting I'd really like to give it a go.

Thanks.