When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Crystal Installation

azbank

Greetings Gentlemen, 

Could someone give me a tip on how to install a crystal and ovoid a distortion caused by friction or in my case glue. Which glue to use ? or should I just leave it to someone who has the right press, glue and skill :)?   Thank you. 

post-53072-0-96549900-1428916854_thumb.j

G-S Crystal cement comes to mind, or a silicone adhesive. The crystal cement from G-S has a nice applicator which could make the deal a lot easier. Silicone is tricky and messy to work with, but when it dries it can be removed fairly easily.

To my knowledge, Rolex doesn't use glue when installing these crystals- they are a tight pressure fit.

• Like 1

If it's an old crystal it will be brittle and likely won't seal.  I had a cache of old genuine Superdome T39s and had the AD here install one on my 1665 and do a pressure test.  None of them would seal.  But I bet a new Clarks T39 would because it's still malleable.

Try a thin line of Vaseline at the very bottom corner of the rehaut where the "neck" stands up from the case.  Then press the crystal down so its base sits into the Vaseline.  Then lube the inside edge of the crystal retaining ring with a thin smear of Vaseline, and press it down tight.  That lets parts ease into place under the pressure of the ring, and it might do the trick.

vaseline might break down the plastic over time since its petroleum based, i would use a silicone based grease preferably, like the gasket sealant stuff.

and yes hypo cement if you have to glue it in. still messy stuff because of the long threads that happen after dabbing, but it can be rolled away with your finger

Ummmmmmmmmm, what would freezing the case accomplish?  If the crystal was hot and the case was cold, it might help you install a very tight crystal.  But then it would crack as the case warmed up.

My advice is to try T-127s from different suppliers; they vary a little in dimensions.  Clark makes good ones and chances are the plastic will be fresh and pliable.  If it's a nice snug fit on the case, chances are you'll get a waterproof seal.

Ask around and see what people have successfully used for the case you're using.