When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

List of Submariner "Tells"

Avenue

Hello All,

I wanted to compose a list of Submariner "tells"; I know there are a bunch of various model.

Let's make a list for the most popular Submariner; 116610LN Submariner Ceramic date.

We're not going to make a list of-dummy tells for dirt cheap reps, let's try to compose a list for high quality rep "tells". 

Let's not talk about the interior of the watch, but the exterior. (What is to be seen for the naked eye.) 

I know it isn't easy to just make a list, because you'll have to see things; but let's try. 

• Rehaut misaligned. (Could sometimes occur on gens!)
  • No micro-laser 'etched' crown @6" (Mostly found on good reps nowadays though!) 
  • Poor magnification on Date. (Less than x2.5) 
  • Uneven spacing on the date.
  • Lume brightness does not match between hour indices, non-hour indices and hands. 
  • White bezel numbers. (Numbers on Gen. bezel are Platinum dust-filled) 
  • Incorrectly centered pearl.

post-52510-0-77264700-1430058403_thumb.p

I'd like to hear things from everybody, so we can make a big list, for clarification. Many people will benefit from this, since there are usually members looking for perfect reps (aren't we all); this is a way to at least know what to look for!

So, are you putting your own list together for you? since this is the only reason I can see you posting something like this. And why Subs? Come on, tell us why you really want to know? Spidy senses are a blazin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beachcomber was right...something doesn't feel right.

I indeed own a Submariner 116610LN. I am just very curious and knowledge hungry of which are the tells (I am quite aware of most of them), though I want to become more experienced and a better "fake-spotter"; don't see how that is a problem, or makes me someone who is going to sell a watch on eBay, like beach said.

I think i'm not the only one who will benefit from this thread, once it's finished. Why wouldn't it be handy to have all the tells noted and written down, all on one page? Does it hurt somebody? Didn't think so. Thanks for the great input guys. Go fish somewhere else.  :fishing1:

Edited by Avenue

A fake spotter. Yeah you've come to the right place, you sure you didn't mean to post this on TRF or VRF? Those guys will feed your hunger quite well. Come on man, is this really a serious question?

Don't really see the point in this discussion. Thank you again for your kindness. Having a bad day? I'm not a "fake spotter"; Nice secundum quid. Mature.

"You've come to the right place"; like I've signed up to this forums today. Take another look at the join-date, perhaps. :fool:

Let's see if you're mature enough to stay away from commenting again; since you're not doing any good to this thread. 

Sorry mate. This is an open forum and community.

You should accept comments from other members in my humble opinion.

I read the comments and cannot disagree that trying to put the ultimate list of tells is for sure not something that has been done before because....it's simply impossible.
Reps are coming in soooo many versions (from V1 to VXX) !

All have tells, not the same ones on each version.

All the best,

Stephane

Don't really see the point in this discussion. Thank you again for your kindness. Having a bad day? I'm not a "fake spotter"; Nice secundum quid. Mature.

"You've come to the right place"; like I've signed up to this forums today. Take another look at the join-date, perhaps. :fool:

Let's see if you're mature enough to stay away from commenting again; since you're not doing any good to this thread. 

Keep calm and have a beer  :partytime:

Don't really see the point in this discussion. Thank you again for your kindness. Having a bad day? I'm not a "fake spotter"; Nice secundum quid. Mature.

I just think information like this can be found in 2 seconds on the Internet, it's a bit incongruous asking for the signs to spot on a 'fake' rolex on a forum dedicated to replica watches. It reeks of irony my friend. I can cut and paste a link if you like.

I read the comments and cannot disagree that trying to put the ultimate list of tells is for sure not something that has been done before because....it's simply impossible.

All the best,

Stephane

And of course you're right, but to retort is golden. Sorry, let the Q and A show begin, let me get my dog and pony first though. Good fun.

All the best,

Stephane

Of course this has been tried before. But something more recent and up-to-date doesn't currently exist, that's why I wanted to give it a shot, but I won't ever try something like this again, the unfriendliness of other members sometimes is un-real. Hence why my post count is so low. I usually only read, and scroll. And I now, again, realise why I never posted/commented on threads. 

:clap2:  Applauding for the actual members on RWG who are here to help and not to [censored] and try to act all fancy. 

Well, I apologize if I came on too strong, my wife left me and my dog bit my leg...seriously , just commenting on something that I thought was a bit ironic and I am sorry.

My smartass level is pushing full throttle today, once again, I apologize.

I just think information like this can be found in 2 seconds on the Internet, it's a bit incongruous asking for the signs to spot on a 'fake' rolex on a forum dedicated to replica watches. It reeks of irony my friend. I can cut and paste a link if you like.

All the information that is on this forum can be found "on the internet"; just like everything else. Good comment, once again. This is just a place to filter the [censored] that is to be found on the internet and a get-together of many experienced members who participate in the rep world; as you already knew. 

Also: I'm not very certain if you've actually read what my thread is about, let me copy-paste for you: 

We're not going to make a list of-dummy tells for dirt cheap reps, let's try to compose a list for high quality rep "tells". 

(I've increased the font size a little for you, incase you read over it again!) You know as well as I do, that the information on the internet on particular "tell-, real VS fake" is outdated. Those are for bad reps, I'm not sure if you've noticed or if it hasn't crossed you mind, but on this forums we do GOOD reps and Franken builds. Those are not the watches that are common on "the internet"; as you like to call it. 

As Stephane said in a previous post: 

Keep calm and have a beer  :partytime:

EDIT: You might need 2.  :yeah: 

Edited by Avenue

All the best,

Stephane

This is the best comment on this thread because it's 100% true. No point in putting together a list when each version has a different batch of flaws 

come on guys, let's throttle this back a bit OK? I believe the OP has a legitimate request, however I believe it was phrased poorly. A list of obvious problems would probably save some of the noobs here who hate to read and do research a lot of time, however as Stephane mentioned, a list would be nigh on impossible to make and keep updated as the rep manufacturers come out with new models, and sometimes even correct small mistakes within a model series. When you have several rep factories as well as guys like TC and BK selling watches, the variety is dizzying. If you don't agree, just go over to one of the bigger trusted dealers like puretime and look at the variety of 116610 watches they offer. A lot are identical, with only movement differences, but there are others that have differences. I'm all for having a source of accurate information about a particular model, and I'm sure most everyone who mods watches wants to know what needs to be done to their watch to make it closer to the real thing. 

One big problem with all of the "helpful threads here and on other forums, is that not only rep folks read these threads, there are quite a lot of genuine watch forum folks visiting here, and all we are doing is feeding them information. I have no problem with that if it's being used to keep reps off sites like Ebay that are being pawned off as genuine watches, but suppose US Customs, which I 'm sure visits this and every other rep site, be it watches, clothing handbags, shoes, etc., uses all of our good information to compile their own list to help them seize watches coming through customs. Just food for thought.   

• Like 2

come on guys, let's throttle this back a bit OK? I believe the OP has a legitimate request, however I believe it was phrased poorly. A list of obvious problems would probably save some of the noobs here who hate to read and do research a lot of time, however as Stephane mentioned, a list would be nigh on impossible to make and keep updated as the rep manufacturers come out with new models, and sometimes even correct small mistakes within a model series. When you have several rep factories as well as guys like TC and BK selling watches, the variety is dizzying. If you don't agree, just go over to one of the bigger trusted dealers like puretime and look at the variety of 116610 watches they offer. A lot are identical, with only movement differences, but there are others that have differences. I'm all for having a source of accurate information about a particular model, and I'm sure most everyone who mods watches wants to know what needs to be done to their watch to make it closer to the real thing. 

One big problem with all of the "helpful threads here and on other forums, is that not only rep folks read these threads, there are quite a lot of genuine watch forum folks visiting here, and all we are doing is feeding them information. I have no problem with that if it's being used to keep reps off sites like Ebay that are being pawned off as genuine watches, but suppose US Customs, which I 'm sure visits this and every other rep site, be it watches, clothing handbags, shoes, etc., uses all of our good information to compile their own list to help them seize watches coming through customs. Just food for thought.   

I think you are very right. Thanks for the comment. I indeed had a legitimate request; but I now see your point (and the point of the previous commenters). There are indeed a lot of different models, and various flaws and tells, I just wanted to make one, big, nice list of things to look out for; to get your perfect Submariner. Also helpful because people will find flaws on their own watches; and might get it modded by someone off our forums, which is awesome.

I just wanted to get all the information that could help on one page/thread, without forcing people to read the entire forums and every post to find just the smallest flaw about reps. 

The problem you mentioned about genuine watch-forums reading our posts is indeed present; I think the customs list you mentioned is even worse. Though, there is not much we can do about that; since the information is out there, somewhere, anyways.