When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

May 28 Wristies

cc33

Thanks, I'm with you! The dome is pure class

Speaking of pure class.. Your 6538... Wow.. I'm speechless

Great pic and great band

Thank you, very much appreciated. I am still pretty much in the staring at it phase. Went for a drive with the top down and the sunlight makes the dial and hands do amazing things at different angles...

Did that dome come on your watch or did you source it? I know there was some discussion on this the other day but never really was clear to me.

I have been on the hunt for a gen 1966 1675 for quite a while and picking a specific year like this narrows access to quality pieces. Now that I see yours with that dome I would definitely want that over the cyclops if possible.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy

7206 taking a bath so back on leather.

ff6ff53a2b412ff46198c6e0861e8bda.jpg

So I see all these amazing vintage rolex builds. I love the 6538 but have to say the 6542 has my heart. So I start thinking it doesn't make sense to spend all that money $5K and up on a rep build. If you go gen, it will hold it's value and be a better investment. So I decide to check out gen 6542's on the bay and chrono. I knew the price would be high but I wanted to see how high. For a 6542, you can pay just about anything from $12K up to $65K and beyond. What was crazy was none of those watches were original or could be confirmed original either. Almost all of them had an aftermarket non-rolex bezel. Almost all had service dials and hands and other parts. I mean, I can see justifying the high price if someone had an all original with box and papers. But I couldn't see why there mis-mash of parts thrown together is any different from what happens here. Certainly put all these amazing builds in perspective.

So I see all these amazing vintage rolex builds. I love the 6538 but have to say the 6542 has my heart. So I start thinking it doesn't make sense to spend all that money $5K and up on a rep build. If you go gen, it will hold it's value and be a better investment. So I decide to check out gen 6542's on the bay and chrono. I knew the price would be high but I wanted to see how high. For a 6542, you can pay just about anything from $12K up to $65K and beyond. What was crazy was none of those watches were original or could be confirmed original either. Almost all of them had an aftermarket non-rolex bezel. Almost all had service dials and hands and other parts. I mean, I can see justifying the high price if someone had an all original with box and papers. But I couldn't see why there mis-mash of parts thrown together is any different from what happens here. Certainly put all these amazing builds in perspective.

Went through the same thing. Looked at tons of vintage gens. There are some 6538's out there but all originals are 80k and up. "Decent" priced ones had parts I did not like so in the end you build one the way you want it.

I have some 6542 parts already but cannot find a dial. With ingod no longer doing business cannot seem to find a decent dial for my build plans...maybe someday a white dial will appear for sale.

Went through the same thing. Looked at tons of vintage gens. There are some 6538's out there but all originals are 80k and up. "Decent" priced ones had parts I did not like so in the end you build one the way you want it.

I have some 6542 parts already but cannot find a dial. With ingod no longer doing business cannot seem to find a decent dial for my build plans...maybe someday a white dial will appear for sale.

Time to start collecting for me.

The really,really top notch vintage Rolex watches are as rare as hen's teeth, and they never get traded to us, the great unwashed. Either they get sold at one of the high end auctions, or they get sold among the heavy hitters in the vintage Rolex world. Most of what you see for sale or watches that are less than pristine, have lots of service parts and/or aftermarket parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The really,really top notch vintage Rolex watches are as rare as hen's teeth, and they never get traded to us, the great unwashed. Either they get sold at one of the high end auctions, or they get sold among the heavy hitters in the vintage Rolex world. Most of what you see for sale or watches that are less than pristine, have lots of service parts and/or aftermarket parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly my point why a build seems so much more enticing.

Apparently he might be back! A member over on either RWI or RG just ordered from him. He's operating via email now. You use the website to select what you want but then conduct all of the transaction via email. I'll look for the thread in the morning. The OP posted the email address in the thread that he used to communicate with Ingod. This was just within the last few days.

Apparently he might be back! A member over on either RWI or RG just ordered from him. He's operating via email now. You use the website to select what you want but then conduct all of the transaction via email. I'll look for the thread in the morning. The OP posted the email address in the thread that he used to communicate with Ingod. This was just within the last few days.

Hey thanks for the info. I will try to email him.