When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6694 Oysterdate Precision

rionrlty

Rolex 6694 Oysterdate Precision Hey guys, I really need some advice from some of you Rolex experts.   In a trade situation I've come by a vintage Rolex model 6694. Through much research I've determined that the watch is probably from 1971-1985. The problem is that there is no serial number between the lugs with which to get a more specific date. At first glance it appears that it never had one, but under magnification the metal there has a strange grainy look (no grinding marks as such), almost as if it had been sandblasted. The only conclusion I can come up with is that it has been removed for some reason, perhaps a nefarious one, in the distant past. Just the same it is a nice stainless steel watch with oyster bracelet.  It has a gold dial and markers and gold background date wheel. It has just been serviced. The bracelet is the later 78350 with 557 B endlinks which probably dates it to the later part of that period.

My question is can I legally sell the watch with no serial number and if so how much is the value and desireability effected by this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Registered design dates it to 1979 back. Rolex patent for the oyster case expired sometime between 77-79. After that it was stamped orig rolex design. Most likely there is a serial number there, you just cant see it. Go to a jeweler and let him look with his loop. 

thanks mymanmatt, that helps.  We've already done those things and no sign of number can be seen, just the wierd texture that can be seen in the picture.  Perhasp a couple of incomplete lines, but nothing that can put together for a number.  I was considering using a fine sandpaper to try and make it out, but I don't want to make things worse.

I know there are exotic methods that can be used (xray I believe) to show up numbers that have been removed, but I have no idea where to go to get it done, or how much it costs.  Do you have any idea how much not having the serial will effect the price?

That's an older dial- circa 1960 and it looks like the hands are Dauphine (pointed) from the picture.

I don't think the value of a 6694 is that great to begin with, so w/o the SN probably won't hurt that much. I'd value this watch around $1000usd.