When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stripped Thread On Po - What Are The Options?

ihaveaticker

Upon a closer inspection of my new Planet Ocean 45mm (which I described in the new members forum), I found that the thread tube actually has a big problem - it looks completely stripped :Jumpy: No wonder why it is so hard for the crown to catch the thread and screw down properly (it's like only half-turn left). Not happy.

What would be your advice? Go back to Paul or try to fix it locally (I'm in Canberra, Australia)?

Is the thread tube a replacable part on this replica?

Where can I buy a spare, good quality one for this model?

Are they all come in a standard size?

Do I need to change the crown too?

How much should this work cost?

If I'm to do this locally, what else can be done to waterproof the watch?

So many questions... Oh, please help the newbie - this is starting to look like a nightmare after only 2 days :(

Thanks,

Dr No

I don't know what kind of followup Paul has, but the crown tube is replaceable.

If I were you I'd order a gen crown and crown tube while you are at it. You (or your watchmaker) will have to remove the old tube, and drill the case a little to fit the genuine tube. Press the new tube in , give it a coating of loctite to insure waterproofing. Ofrei sells the parts, gen crown and tube is about $50.

Ok, it looks like I located the part/s required at Ofrei - thanks for the tip.

Thread tube for model 2209.50.00 part no. 090ST1232 at $6.60

http://www.ofrei.com/page1115.html

Crown 42184 for model 2209.50.00 at $36.00

http://www.ofrei.com/page_147.html

So that would be $42.60 + $14.40 postage = $57.00 and not even seeing a watchmaker yet.

Could a member tell me what is involved to complete this repair? I assume the whole watch will have to be pulled apart. How much of a professional time are we looking at?

Dr No

One more IMPORTANT question: The above parts are for 42mm Planet Ocean (model 2209.50.00). Are crown and tube the same in 45mm rep (model 2208.50.00)?

Edited by ihaveaticker

Pretty much all that has to be done is remove bracelet, unscrew the caseback, and remove the stem. (2 min)Then drop your movement under a cover till the work is done. The watchmaker will have to pull your old tube (5 minutes or so.) Drill the hole in the case a little larger and press in the new tube. (Another 10-20 minutes, assuming all goes well.) Clean out your case and crystal of metal shavings in a parts washer (30 to 5 minutes...) and fit the stem to the new crown. (This part can be a little more time consuming, but still no big deal.) Drop the movement back in and screw the caseback on and you now have a gen crown and tube........

Errr. The crown tube on the 'ultimate' Planet Ocean is internally thread, as per the genuine article. That catches a few people out.

No need to replace, just put some light force against the crown in the direction of the watch body as you turn it and it will catch the thread. If there isn't enough to catch it may just be that the tube needs pushed out of the case slightly.

Ironic that one of the most exceptional aspects of this watch that make it so accurate gets mistaken as damage!!

Ironic that one of the most exceptional aspects of this watch that make it so accurate gets mistaken as damage!!

Wow... thanks r11co, that explains everything. I could not have understand how come the thread has ben stripped to polish :D I already sent an e-mail to Paul - he must be thinking I'm one realy silly customer <_<

Looks like it may not be as big issue as I thought. Will take the watch to my regular watchmaker when he opens after the break. Guys, I'll let you know how it went.

Still, one would expect these things should not happen with a brand new stock.

Dr No

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

AFter 7 months I now have the same problem with my UPO that I purchased from Josh. Do I really need to buy a new crown and tube or is it just a matter of pushing the tube out a little as described above. If I have to buy a crown and tube do I need a Stem as well or can I just use the old one? This is my favorite watch

Pretty much all that has to be done is remove bracelet, unscrew the caseback, and remove the stem. (2 min)Then drop your movement under a cover till the work is done. The watchmaker will have to pull your old tube (5 minutes or so.) Drill the hole in the case a little larger and press in the new tube. (Another 10-20 minutes, assuming all goes well.) Clean out your case and crystal of metal shavings in a parts washer (30 to 5 minutes...) and fit the stem to the new crown. (This part can be a little more time consuming, but still no big deal.) Drop the movement back in and screw the caseback on and you now have a gen crown and tube........

this is not as easy as it looks the rep tube is bigger than the Gen so it need to be glue in order to work or maybe retap I am not sure if this can be done. I have the same problem about a year ago and the solution was to ask my dealer to send me a new crown. it worked like a charm I even took the watch to dive 100ft and not problem there

good luck

Just received a reply that i didnt like regarding obtaining another crown. Guess I'll have to buy a gen crown and tube and have it tapped. I'm tired of paying over three hundred USD for a "quality" rep only to have them keep falling apart. This really pisses me off. I should just buy a Timex. cheaper in every sense but at least its reliable and I can swim with the GD thing.