When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So you think you have a fat font vintage insert?

dbane883

There are fat font inserts, and then there are FAT font inserts. Perhaps the nicest overall insert I have seen (outside of the genuine red triangle bug crown inserts) is owned by our very own cc33. His insert has THE perfect fade and the fonts are ridiculous for a "long 5".

Well, it may not be quite as nice as his, but with cc33's help, I managed to secure an insert that could very well be the fattest long 5, kissing "40", MK0,or whatever you'd like to call it.

Boys, I present to you El Gordo:

9b27d49324b10b4a1ba9105017678f6f.jpg

Yes, long 5, and a kissing 40.. It's not just kissing, it's full on tongue action:
861b5e4d0e2e25704ac5bd78a3c786f4.jpg

That's not all. Even the 50 is kissing!
5eab0e256c11aa64ee1855f8d227bb4b.jpg

The pads/cliches must have been so worn that even the other numbers are very close to touching:
2f3b26fe0ba3bf7a802b29634d8f1aa1.jpg
b69e061d6f99243cdd7f2604ae54137d.jpg

I will be affixing a new pearl into baby and then I will decide what she will go on. Almost scared to let it out if the house! We may never see another fatter on this or any other public forum. Very very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone help me out, I always struggle to identify a gen fat font insert (especially this fat) and buying a dud keeps putting me off from giving over a shed load of money on one. Can someone point out what exactly separates these from the fakes?

Can someone help me out, I always struggle to identify a gen fat font insert (especially this fat) and buying a dud keeps putting me off from giving over a shed load of money on one. Can someone point out what exactly separates these from the fakes?

As a collector of coins, I guess anything can be faked if there is enough profit in doing so.

So you have to ask yourself, what does it take to make a passable fake FF insert?

You'd had to create printing pads with the correct fonts and you have to construct them the same as the genuine FF inserts. (this can get costly taking into account the different iterations printing and pad wear that evident on gen FF inserts)

So in order to make sense in terms of profit.. meaning if there was an operation faking them, they would need to flood the market to make a profit.

Do you see a flood of Fat Font Inserts into the market?  Nope.  Actually it's the opposite, there is more demand than supply and it's been that way for the past 5 years or so.

And the ones that are coming on the market are all different, in terms of age, patina, fade, wear, mk0, mk2, mk3 etc.  No 2 inserts are rarely the same.  

You don't see for example 500 mint condition long 5 kissing 4 inserts hitting the market. 

The only known fake is the Yuki FF Insert and genuine fat font inserts have some "printing" tells vs Yuki.  

The silver font printing on gen FF inserts are printed on top of the black.  On the Yuki, the silver printing is exposed metal.  

You can tell this by trying to fade the yuki with bleach, the silver fonts won't fade out as the black fades out.  

• Like 1

Too funny, we were just discussing this insert yesterday.  I agree fattest fonts I have ever seen.  I looked at hundreds of these while shopping for big crown parts.  It is cartoonish in an awesome way.  Thought I found a good one, but my fonts look anorexic compared to this example.  What a rare piece of Rolex history you have there.  I do believe we will see this in another one of your epic builds.  Nice score DB.    

i think i found it (them):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1338390815/

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/thread/1338324638/FS+Rolex+5513-12-1680+60's+Super+fat+font+insert----US1000+includes+shipping

But the "expert" at the time was comparing two different MK's of inserts. He's comparing a normal fat font (MKI) to a long 5.    Thats why the nomenclature is so [censored] up today.. A MK1 is really just a fat version of the MK3...  Today, most know better and realize that there are two types of kissing 40's.  Even to this day, there is no generally accepted MK for the kissing 40 long 5 (MK0? MK0.5?), let alone a kissing 50

If it were up to me, the regular long 5 should be called a MKI as it came right after the red triangles.. then have a kissing version of that.. and then "skinny 40" from 1963 should be called a MKII, and then leave the current MK3 as it is.. followed by Kissing 40 version of the MK3...Or something like that.. at least make the chronology logical.

They are more rare which is why not many have seen them or know of them. Kissing 40 always got the mk1 tag but they are just mk3's printed with worn pads, and dbane' insert is an mk2 that was printed with a worn pad. The order is also wrong because mk2's (long 5) came first and should be called mk1

It's confusing but the way it SHOULD have gone is that we call long 5's mk1 and we call the current mk3's mk2. Then if we happen to have a "kissing 40" version of one or the other we just add that to the mk designation.. So we should be calling dbane' insert an mk1 kissing 40 simple and correct

Skinny 40 only from 63 had its own designation

"Skinny 40" .... Doesn't really need an mk associated with it imo

To be fair they had no clue back in 2012

Blind leading the blind

• Like 1

They are more rare which is why not many have seen them or know of them. Kissing 40 always got the mk1 tag but they are just mk3's printed with worn pads, and dbane' insert is an mk2 that was printed with a worn pad. The order is also wrong because mk2's (long 5) came first and should be called mk1

It's confusing but the way it SHOULD have gone is that we call long 5's mk1 and we call the current mk3's mk2. Then if we happen to have a "kissing 40" version of one or the other we just add that to the mk designation.. So we should be calling dbane' insert an mk1 kissing 40 simple and correct

Skinny 40 only from 63 had its own designation

"Skinny 40" .... Doesn't really need an mk associated with it imo

To be fair they had no clue back in 2012

Blind leading the blind

long 5 - mk1 (kissing and non kissing)

skinny 40 should be mk2.

mk 3 should remain mk3 (skinny, medium and kissing)

I found a bunch of threads on the MK?? discussions while doing general research on Subs. Conflicting information and in some cases from the same sources...I trust my friends here.

Yup it's one of the most confusing things about vintage subs, there have been new revelations (about pad printing) and now it's all very clear but nobody has made a definitive thread on vrf meant to try to change the way we categorize them