When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone know how to restore an LV bag?

danielv2000

About 18 months ago I purchased a few items from Bergies. When they arrived,they were in perfect and pristine condition. One of the bags became a regular office bag and the other, well... I put it in the closet and forgot about it. Literally, forgot!

Last week, it hit me that I had a bag somewhere and began searching. It was in its original dust bag at the top back of a closet that I need a ladder to access - in other words, with a pile of junk that keep but never use. When I opened the dustbag, the once pristine and perfect dark Damier Graphite had faded to a lighter color in some areas. The bag still has the plastic wraps on the zippers. What a shame.

So, since this forum is full of moddeds and DIYers, I'm wondering if there's a way to restore the color?

I am out of town for a few days but will post pics on my return.

Many thanks for any input.

Here are a couple of pics next to another Damier graphite which is a year older than the brand new backpack.

Notice how vibrant the black is on the older bag compared to the dull can't color of the unused bag.

I wonder if keeping them in dust bags is even a good idea now. They were both kept in the same room. One in the top closet shelf and the other one At the bottom where it went in and out of the dust bag as I used it. So temperature or humidity should not have factored in. On top of that, the bag stayed untouched in its box as well!

9c7275698fc905ebb0259e8dede7e7bc.jpg

58d10dff551a158d3db2d2b7976888c2.jpg

Hopefully someone can chime in and suggest a treatment or something. I would hate to have to sell this at a discount or use the canvass for some other project.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is the fading was a result of the chemicals/PVC used to seal the canvas has outgassed. I'm sure the quality of the inks/vinyl used by the factories is different/inferior to gen and varies from rep factory to rep factory.

Might want to try a vinyl restoring solution like:

http://www.rubnrestore.com/colors/

I wouldn't use shoe polish. This might sound crazy, but maybe even Armorall might work. Test in a small area.

Thanks for the input. I will try to just wipe it down. Had not considered this since it's new and really appears to be fading.

As for the prodcut you suggested, my concern is that the bag is 2 colors. I almost need a "clear" product to revitalize the finish.

So I gave it a wipe down with water and barely any soap. Then gave it a once over with armor all. Bag looks much better. I will try some leather conditioner today.

Just saved me a brand new bag! Worst thing is my wonderful wife ordered me a brand new when she saw how disappointed I was with this one. Especially since She ordered it from an "online" merchant!. I hope it all works out.

387b3b8112759b28098bac5c149ef648.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks much better.  I had similar issue with one that I left in the dust cover for several months before looking at again and basically did the same thing you described.  Usually just a little soap and water will remove the film and armor all or something similar will bring back some luster and add protection.  I actually used the leather conditioner that came with our furniture on it and that worked the best.  

Looks much better.  I had similar issue with one that I left in the dust cover for several months before looking at again and basically did the same thing you described.  Usually just a little soap and water will remove the film and armor all or something similar will bring back some luster and add protection.  I actually used the leather conditioner that came with our furniture on it and that worked the best.

Thanks, I think I will pick up some leather conditioner after work and give it a treatment! I'm really happy about how it turned out.

sorry I only just came across this but my answer would have been the same as the above anyway.

One thing I will add is that some people tend to obsess over the dust bag (not the OP) but please remember it is nothing more than packaging, it literally is only to keep the dust off.

Ken

sorry I only just came across this but my answer would have been the same as the above anyway.

One thing I will add is that some people tend to obsess over the dust bag (not the OP) but please remember it is nothing more than packaging, it literally is only to keep the dust off.

Ken

Ken, thanks! Actually, I am a little anal with the dust bags. I normally store my bags in their respective dust bags when not in use unless I know I am swapping next day or so.

Now, I will try the leather treatment tonight.

I am curious to receive the same backpack from a random internet site and compare it to Ken's. Might do a little photo comparison before I decide what to do with it. My wife can't believe the tantrum I pulled when I saw the bag only to realize that wiping it with a wet cloth fixed 75% of the problem!!!