When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6542 Gmt

2pac

Hi guys, 

I want to build a 6542 Gmt gilt dial... for me is the KING of the watch... but.........

it's one of most hard rep to build... 

if i will buy a Ndt or yuki or minh quy case, it's ok or i have to work it ? anyone know their price? how about the pure time 6542 cartel? 

if i have to work it.. i think to buy a 1655 cartel case... because i don't want spend more money on an expansive case... 

what about the movement?  DG is ok???? the 6542 has got a black/red DWO... exist a black-red dwo for the DG movement? 

thanks for your help.. 

Edited by 2pac

Go to the search window in the Rolex forum,top right side, type in freddy33 6542 and hit search.

Just as and aside, if you are using tapatalk, you cannot search back far enough. You need to do the search from a computer, or if you are using a tablet you have to go to the RWGwebsite. Tapatalk only goes back a couple of months and then it repeats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easiest - start from the cartel 6542 with 2846 movement (incl roulette dwo). You might have some issues fitting gen/aftermarket upgrade parts, but for me all worked ok.

1655 base is the other most common option, but quite some work is needed on the case - not just crownguard removal.

• 2 weeks later...

yes tapatalk it's not good for search :D 

in 6542 puretime cartel case i saw the rehaut is too wokky.... holes for springbar is not centered....... i don't know if is a good idea start from it.. 

i saw freddy start from sub silix case... probalby i will buy one of it...

i want put a DG3804 movement in my project.. but the roulette dwo for this movement.. where i can buy it? 

for the bezel i'm looking on the bay.. there are some aftermarket bezel assembly.. but i don't want the bakelite insert, i want the metal insert. 

also i want gen crown tube crystal and springbars.. 

Dial.. where i can find a gilt dial for my project? yuki gilt dial it's ok? 

You correctly identified the flaws of the pt 6542 :)

Roulette dwo you can get from erick76 over at RWI.

Regarding silix cases I have doubts on whether the current lineup has gen bezel construction. Also unsure if 116 plexi fits. But others might confirm...

You need a 115 plexi for the 6542

Really interesting to see the rols176 case mentioned - I (incorrectly?) thought that was since long out of production!

Advantage with that, irc, is that it already has a very decent coin edge bezel. I would thus not advice you buying some other aftermarket bezel (assume you're looking at 1675 versions perhaps?). Again, don't think that it has a construction with a retaining ring (to be fitted round the plexi) but the kind with a hexagonal wire spring. In that case, you could be forced to do some shaving to the insert and perhaps even glue / tape the bezel (again, don't take my word for it, just warning lol!).

Would be very happy if you would give this a try and buy a set from Silix! You'd need to replace that movement - or add gmt module to the 2836. Advantage is that it's correct hand stack. The dwo should fit 2836.

it's difficult find a gen 115 plexy?

More expensive anyhow. I was offered one when I gathered parts for my 6542 project, ended up declining. Always easy to spend crazy amounts on builds - in the end you might find that it would have been cheaper just buying a full case set incl caseback, crown and plexi...

What's your total budget btw? If limited, I'd advice you to save funds for dial (eg NDT, say $600) and get a Clarks 116 plexi. Some early 6542s were also fitted with non cyclops plexi - so you have some freedom to do what you like. Just my 2 cents.

ogladio you are really informed about the 6542 project, really good :) 

i contacted Silix, and i ask to him if he can find for me only the case of rols176.. he reply to me he can.. but without the bezel ring.. it's the reason why i asked about an aftermarket bezel.. 

in theory yes my budget is limited around 1000$ 

i find this dial.. http://www.vintagewatchmaker.com/product-p/d-05.htm it's around 450$ 

in the same site there is the bezel... without insert around 300$ and with bakelite insert 550$... 

but i don't know if it fit on the rols176case... 

Good! Maybe you can ask Silix how the bezel (and case) currently is constructed, ie if it will fit a bezel construction with a bezel that snaps on to a retaining ring?

The "phong" bezel is great and a good option (if you can fit it to your case).

Another (I think cheaper) option for bezel is the one from JoeyB:

ylXWpZ.jpg

That dial also looks very interesting. Good thing about it too is that it doesn't seem to have the gen style "bowl shape" (ie without dial feet, but a lip that snaps onto the rolex movement) - looks flat from what I can see on the picture. Think you just might have a very interesting project ahead of you! Just wish you good luck on keeping that budget incl movement, hands plus gen plexi and crown ;)

Btw, remembered you writing that you wanted to use the dg3804 (cheap and good gmt movement imo). If going with the silix case I'd advice against that. As it's sold with 2836 risk is that movement won't fit without custom ring, stem height may differ etc. I'd recommend you looking for a gmt 2836/46 - a WTB might solve that for you.

"inferior" how?

Sorry Joey, poorly written from my side and was not meant as negative criticism for your bezel (which is what i chose myself for my project as you know). Edited my post now. The phong is more expensive and based on my subjective and non-professional judgement (note: only based on photo) I deemed it as a bit better. Each member can judge for themselves based on pictures and I would be very happy if someone with hands on experience of both options could chime in with their opinions. That also includes you Joey :)

Hi guys, 

I want to build a 6542 Gmt gilt dial... for me is the KING of the watch... but.........

it's one of most hard rep to build... 

Regardless which way you choose, there will be a lot of work needed on the case. 

The cartel 6542 is not a good choice. It is too wocky and the lug holes are in the wrong place. The 1655 Explorer II is a better choice, grinding off the crown guards, or the Tiger 2 case, if you can find one.  post-16926-0-52412000-1436647630.jpg

The 25-115 plexi was discontinued by Rolex long ago, which is why they cost so much now. Rolex dealers were instructed to use the 25-116, the difference being .5mm date-mag placement. 

The DG3804B is an easier movement to use for any GMT build. It will fit either case with the movement ring you can get from Rafflestime, or mod your own. I have both the ETA 2846 and the DG3804B in my watches, and have no issues with either one. RolexAddict also recommends the DG3804B. 

The genuine crystal is mounted using a pressed on retaining ring. The bezel uses a hexagonal wire spring to attach it to the retainer. The bakelight insert should be secured to the bezel. Rolex used at least 6 different suppliers of the insert and bezels. Some bezels used clips that bend in on the insert, most are secured using cement. 

The dial you found for $450 is incorrect for a 6542. It says' 'Superlative Chronometer', which began with the 1675. The correct 6542 says 'Officially Certified Chronometer'. The correct dial is a 'pan' style, that snapped onto the original movement. This will be very difficult to make work on an ETA or DG movement. It is thicker and needs longer pinions for the hands, and still an issue with clearance for the GMT hand. 

Good luck!

Sorry Joey, poorly written from my side and was not meant as negative criticism for your bezel (which is what i chose myself for my project as you know). Edited my post now. The phong is more expensive and based on my subjective and non-professional judgement (note: only based on photo) I deemed it as a bit better. Each member can judge for themselves based on pictures and I would be very happy if someone with hands on experience of both options could chime in with their opinions. That also includes you Joey :)

OK, thanks. My bezel is a direct copy of phong's. The bezel itself is made of brass and is genuine nickel plated, per the gen. So I felt I had to question it.  

Joeys bezel wasn't out when I bought mine from phong, I took the explorer route and phong bezel fits the case beautifully, but did not fit my Tiger case v2 so well... It was too big and overhung the sides too much.

Here it is

bb52baeb4562f2ed087a78b401efffe2_zpsdbcc

I didn't even know what a 6542 was, let alone ever saw a picture of one until I came to this site and saw you in the middle of your first 6542 build. At the time RolexAddict introduced me to vintage Rolex 1675, and we went on a quest to find a dial that was correct without the word 'Date' after Oyster Perpetual. This site was then, and I think still is, far and away the best for vintage Rolex builds. Your 6542 build was the very first on any site, which proves my point. You blazed the trail which made it easier to do for the rest of us. 

So, ummm...what have you done lately?  ;)