When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What mods for my DW 6239?

jfmiii

I bought this 6239 on the forums a few months back and really enjoy.  It needs a service bc the dial counters dont reset properly, as you can see.  I am thinking it is a good opportunity to mod it a bit.  Gen crystal and crown are on the list.  The hand lume and dots are very white and I'd love to age them.  Any suggestions?  What about the bezel?  Is there a better bezel out there that will be an easy fit with a gen crystal?  Anything else I'm missing?  Thanks all!

post-26695-0-43316400-1437348101_thumb.j

I would not touch the bezel, but the case could use a bit of work to give it that 'naturally' worn look. Gen xtal is always nice (the beveled versions give the Daytona a nice, jewel-like quality), but it is a relatively high cost item that offers relatively little in return since many gens have aftermarket xtals. I would also consider a gen bracelet (62xx Daytonas on straps never look as good to me as they do on gen bracelets) &/or a better dial (subdials a bit too close to markers vs gen dial).

I would not touch the bezel, but the case could use a bit of work to give it that 'naturally' worn look. Gen xtal is always nice (the beveled versions give the Daytona a nice, jewel-like quality), but it is a relatively high cost item that offers relatively little in return since many gens have aftermarket xtals. I would also consider a gen bracelet (62xx Daytonas on straps never look as good to me as they do on gen bracelets) &/or a better dial (subdials a bit too close to markers vs gen dial).

yes, the dial isnt the best but my options are quite limited with a 7750, correct?

yes, the dial isnt the best but my options are quite limited with a 7750, correct?

If there is a 7750 inside, yes.

By the way, I do not think the dial is bad at all. But the subdials on most non-Newman aftermarket dials are slightly too large, which is their principal give-away.

But they do vary. I cannot point you to any specific dials or sellers, but some dials do have more accurately sized subdials. You just have to look around.

2nd after that is the glossy appearance of the subdials (the gen dials are completely matte).

Although I'm not nearly the Daytona expert that Freddy is, I'm a big fan of the gen crystal swap. The gen T-21 is not that expensive. They can be had for $100-$125. Yes, you do have to sand the bezel slightly, but they make a big difference IMO over the stock DW crystal.

I would do it, and then add a gen crown and bracelet. Puts you in the $1,000 pricepoint, which IMO is about as much as you'd want to spend on a 7750 based Daytona.

thanks all. i only paid $375 for the watch on here so i have some room to play.  any recommended modders on here who could age the dial and install a gen crown and crystal that i would supply them?

Edited by jfmiii

+1

my stock DW has a shotty movement, chrono works till about the 4:00 position then poops out. I would be interested in a modder who can install a gen crystal, service movement (or even swap out if I buy the correct one!) and slightly age the dial.  Love this piece but it needs some help!

Thanks in advance

Still looking... In further inspection, it looks like the DW 7750 has had the rotor removed (which I have learned is common, in an effort to reduce the thickness of the case). The second position of the crown will not let me wind the watch so I have to maneuver it in the most inward position and hold it such that it does not screw down...in short, it is very difficult to wind this watch.

So, if I get a rotor for this 7750 movement will it fit/work? If not, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement movement?

I can source all parts if a modder can do the work on this for me.. Thanks!

You don't need to get the rotor, and if you do, you will probably need to get a caseback as well.

Your winding problem has to do with the stem or the crown. Most likely the stem was cut to the wrong length. Whomever you send it to for the other upgrades you are thinking about can fix it at the same time they do the service.

Since you are in the US, I would start by checking with misiekped here on RWG to see if he can handle everything you need. He did excellent work on my 5514 build. PBdad did a great job on my 1016 build, so he is another option. Depends on what exactly you want to have done.