When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

T19 Crystal

IAN2109

You need to get a digital caliper and measure the inside of your crystal retention ring 

My 1680 retention Ring measures 30.21.  I see on Ofrei the XS305-451 measures 30.48.  This means I would not be able to get my retention ring around the XS305-451 crystal.

IMG_0413.jpg

I ran into this exact problem when I was trying to install a Tropic 19 that Gary Clark Sent me.  It measured 30.39 and I couldnt get my retention ring around it. 

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

As you can see my Service 127 measures 30.25 and Service 19 measures 30.22.  Which allows you to fit the retention ring around it snugly.

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Snug Fit

IMG_0415.jpg

• Like 2

If you're looking for a service 19 look, this is the best aftermarket next to gen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tropic-19-Dome-Crystals-for-Rolex-Submariner-5510-5512-5513-1680-6538-/121730270766?hash=item1c57b0862e

If you're looking for a SuperDome 19, this is the best aftermarket

http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/page28.html

How does that service dome compare to the Clark T19 service dome?  Better clarity or profile?  Is it more likely to fit with the Puretime case? I have read that the Clarks can have variations in ID and if one doesn't fit right, another may fit better.  My Clark cracked right away.  Is this brand more uniform in its production?

How does that service dome compare to the Clark T19 service dome?  Better clarity or profile?  Is it more likely to fit with the Puretime case? I have read that the Clarks can have variations in ID and if one doesn't fit right, another may fit better.  My Clark cracked right away.  Is this brand more uniform in its production?

I don't have a Clark T19 Service dome, I don't see it for sale anywhere.

I don't have a Puretime case so I dont know what sort of bezel assembly it has, or the measurement to the retention ring.  

I have the Clark vintage T19 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Ref-25-19-Vintage-style-T-19-Tropic-19-crystal-for-Rolex-CLARK-/231467087330?hash=item35e48375e2

I have the Clark domed T19 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Ref-25-19-Domed-style-T-19-Tropic-19-crystal-for-Rolex-CLARK-/231602050632?hash=item35ec8ed648

The aftermarket Service T19 I listed above is pretty clear, but not as good as the Rolex Service T19.  

If you shine the aftermarket Service T19 crystal in bright sunlight, you can see very small inclusions that are not in the Rolex Service T19

No worries, just thought I'd ask in case you knew. Clark sells two versions of the T19. The one you referenced as vintage is the service dome profile. The other style he sells is the super dome. With gens there is a 3rd dome profile, halfway in between the super dome and service dome, but I don't like that one.

I'll definitely check out that other brand that you posted and I'll get out the calipers to measure my case. Looks like a great one! Thanks!

• 2 months later...

"As you can see my Service 127 measures 30.25 and Service 19 measures 30.22."

I measured a new genuine 127 and it is 30.42mm at the base (not mounted on a case).

A new Clark 127 is 30.28mm. A new ST 127 is 30.32mm. A new Bestfit Materials Co. 127 is 30.3mm.

"I ran into this exact problem when I was trying to install a Tropic 19 that Gary Clark Sent me.  It measured 30.39 and I couldn't get my retention ring around it."

I measured a new genuine T19 and it is 30.42mm at the base (not mounted on a case).

A GS PA462-66 (T19) is 30.38mm. A GS PA462-67 (T19) is 30.43mm. A new Sternkreuz T19 is 30.33mm. A new Clark T19 is 30.30mm.

The crystals get smaller in od as you measure up from the base. You will get a better measurement (to match with the bezel) if the crystal is mounted on the case neck...unless the crystal is loose on the case neck.

On project watches, I gave up buying crystals by brand and just buy different brands and try to match them with the case/bezel combo. GS crystals are always the same but some supply houses change crystal suppliers and they might not be exactly the same from one order to the next. I always order three at a time hoping to get all three from the same batch. 

I bought a domed T19 from Gary for my gen 7016 and It wouldn't fit.  Now a few months later I have a gen 9411/0 and the crystal was in a very bad shape so I took the Clark's crystal out again and surprisingly it fits like a glove. 

Could it be that the retaining ring for the different references does have different dimensions? 

I have a gen Domed T19 on my old 5513 case,  I can measure the retaining ring and crystal in a few days.