When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

White 6610 Experiment

jmb

When looking around for info concerning the White 1016 I found that it had a predecessor in the 6610 family.  I found some decent pictures from a Christies auction where one sold a few years ago in the $140k range!  After talking with "the 'goat", and since I had a fresh new batch of water-slide paper, I decided to work up a 6610 dial.  Here's a couple shots of the mock-up, I might have got a bit carried away with the dial aging.  I have an 18k vph movement on the way and will put this on a strap.

6610 Proto 6.jpg

6610 Proto 1.jpg

6610 Proto 2.jpg

6610 Proto 3.jpg

6610 Proto 4.jpg

6610 Proto 5.jpg

M, you are right on the lume but that is the best I could do with what I had - it's not really that bad but the flash really washed it out.  I have some tan and gold Rit dye on the way that I am going tio try to blend for the correct shade.  The 140k figure I saw was from a 2013 (I think) auction.  I am going to put in an ETA 2460.  I also need to put the fonts on a diet...

OK, this is my final dial.  I think the lume is about the right color and I thinned the fonts down so nothing bleeds together.  I'm pretty happy with it and as soon as my movement gets here it will be on my wrist!

White 6610 2.jpg

White 6610 1.jpg

Looking good! I'd still like to see a tinge of brown on there- maybe a tea or coffee bath, or the old smoke treatment

Would you mind elaborating the "old smoke treatment" method? I have tried to query the forum and Google too but came back with nothing at all. I think it must be something pretty obvious but I'd like to be sure before I order one of these JMB dials and ruin it by doing something stupid. :D

The old smoke treatment is where you say put the dial in a container and blow smoke in there. Maybe it's cigarette smoke, maybe some smoke from some burning paper, anything that will give the dial an aged look. I've never done it myself, but have seen it used around here a few times.

Spraying a light coat of matte varnish might also give the dial a little color and an aged look. This wouldn't be the clear varnish, but one that has an aged tint to it.

The old smoke treatment is where you say put the dial in a container and blow smoke in there. Maybe it's cigarette smoke, maybe some smoke from some burning paper, anything that will give the dial an aged look. I've never done it myself, but have seen it used around here a few times.

Spraying a light coat of matte varnish might also give the dial a little color and an aged look. This wouldn't be the clear varnish, but one that has an aged tint to it.

Thanks a lot alligoat.

OK, here's my final prototype.  I darkened and aged the dial, dinged up the case and buffed all edges smooth, and tossed on a ghetto no-name bracelet from an old movement donor.  I finished this out with an 18k vph ETA 2451 movement to keep with the spirit of the project.

Proto 2.jpg

Proto 1.jpg

It's doesn't look bad @ all J! I just finished applying a some gloss & texture on one I got from @dlf.

Here is the dial I got from dlf

88ba58f199c12edcf7af9bc514c872f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here is the dial after I did my magic

2b5ba93826d949774d999e686023b35c.jpg

How did the 2451 work? Is it plug & play in a 2824 case? Does it take 28xx dial feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk