When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tempus Machina replica, how would you do it?

hologramet

Hi all,

I'm debating using this thing to start my build with the dial:

http://www.pf-818.com/rspx00008-heritage-hs01-ssss-black-swiss-28363131-p-15775.html

Noticed a big problem in a QC pic - the bezel pip where the pearl sits, can clearly be seen. Maybe some nice thick enamel paint?

pbrq.jpg

Edited by 508-Fanatic

what are people thinking about the bezel work? to me it seems the most critical / precise part of the build, attempting to do it "by hand" would likely just ruin a piece as "sharp" as this, and likely the hardest part to get done. curious if pbdad could get it done, know he is working on a TM build for aphillipe....

side-216a-rolex-tempus.jpg?1549879494942

Those lines are super exact, some sort of micro-cnc-milling? I'm thinking it must be easier to do it from stock, than milling the existing bezel.

My way worked. It took hell-of-a-time, and it's much more rounded, but good enough for me. :)

CNC Milling on 2-axis at the least. You could do it with a quality lapper/shaper/grinder but you'd need to be very precise with your work to make that angle notch not look wonky.

I'm thinking that's where the Helenarou case might be a great option, plus you get lugholes already drilled.  Problem is, of course, that the insert would be aluminum instead of the ceramic used in the actual Tempus Machina.

My biggest problem with HR's bond case for example, is how far the crown tube juts out. Does anyone know of a good fix for this? 

I do have an extra Athaya 8mm Brevet crown and tube hanging around, maybe that'll help.

I can't agree with the HR Bond-case. The whole ceramic-Sub w/ a twist disappears. Imho, it poses a risk of becoming a "weird" 6538? Or?

You know what? I think you're right. I am going to use the aforementioned HS01 and redo the insert, get some great hands, and proceed with the HR custom dial ...

You know what? I think you're right. I am going to use the aforementioned HS01 and redo the insert, get some great hands, and proceed with the HR custom dial ...

It does have a lot of "right" things going for it. If you can grind the crown guards off, and drill lug holes from scratch, it probably covers more of the bases.

A little update...

IMG_20151030_113941.thumb.JPG.c7abdf512bIMG_20151030_114048.thumb.JPG.bd588a6bd0IMG_20151030_114135.thumb.JPG.9cdd969ac4IMG_20151030_114318.thumb.JPG.30a2827b43IMG_20151030_114408.thumb.JPG.01d4d12985IMG_20151030_114506.thumb.JPG.5946394339IMG_20151030_114640.thumb.JPG.e01ab0396a

So what's left to do...

1) Drill lugholes

2) Drill & tap for Athaya crown

3) Change to new 300/1000-dial when it arrives

4) Change hands to "big Mercedes"-hands in gold

5) Domed sapphire

(Btw... making the red triangle become "3D" was a p-i-t-a)

IMG_20151030_114229.JPG

• Like 1

Let me know if you find a good vendor with correct hands in gold (but slim hour hand)

tmp_15919-IMG_20151004_121243969405001.t

Edited by hologramet

The red triangle is indeed a PITA.......I've  had good success with masking w/ scotch tape, not masking as the scotch bonds better. The red is applied carefully w/ a paint pen, 2 applications  maybe 3. I've done it on both ceramic & aluminum inserts! The red triangle is really cool . Be sure to remove the tape prior to the paint cures, an hour or less following the last coat......best, mcotter

• Like 2

The red triangle is indeed a PITA.......I've  had good success with masking w/ scotch tape, not masking as the scotch bonds better. The red is applied carefully w/ a paint pen, 2 applications  maybe 3. I've done it on both ceramic & aluminum inserts! The red triangle is really cool . Be sure to remove the tape prior to the paint cures, an hour or less following the last coat......best, mcotter

I tried over 5-6 different times with enamel paint, but I couldn't achieve the look I was going for. So I finally sued some Loctite "fine" epoxy-cement, using scalpels to mould it to the form I wanted, finished by sanding with 2000 grit (carefully not to scratch the ceramic insert) and finally 2 coats of humbrol enamel paint.

I'll show some more pics in a while...

How much do you think you will have invested in the watch out of curiosity? Mine's getting up there- probably close to 2 grand when it's all said and done.. hoping it looks worth every penny of that..

In my watch?

Umm..

Noob v3 Hulk (already had it, but for the sake of calculating): 350 USD // Casework easily took me over 30 hours since it was my first case and I did it little by little as I wanted to get aquainted with the different toolks before messing it up)
Different tools for case work (maybe everything from 30 USD to 200 USD if you count in Dremel w/ Li-Ion)
Bezel = used existing (although about 20-30 hours invested)
Bezel insert = used an old rep insert from a 114060 (same here, easily invested 10 hours before I got it right) (add 30 USD maybe for paint supplies and epoxy clay)
Athaya Big Crown = aprox 50 USD
Dial = 150 USD
Hands? haven't purchased yet = aprox 20-40 USD max?
Reluming = Will do myself, so practically free but sure a Watch-Lume.net starter kit = aprox 80 USD (but that will keep me going for a long time...)
Sapphire = Haven't decided wether to use the one from HelenaRou 6538-case or from Tiger-Concept 6538-case but let say 25-50 USD

Costs = 350 + 30 + 50 + 30 + 35 = 515 USD in parts

Auxilliary stuff = from 100 to 300 USD maybe? (but that's a one-time-cost needed for further modding of other projects)

Lost income (or if I would have worked extra with my day/nighttime job) = Well.... hahaha... at least 100 hours at about 30-50 USD an hour ... let's not go that route, this is for fun, it would have been much much cheaper to get someone else to do it, but this is a hobby, for me it's the journey and not the end product that is the most important part