When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the correct crown for this?

Tobliteration

Hello all, not sure if this is the right place for this question but I am wondering if this crown is right and if not what would be the right size one? c2b0447cf7410c99f6d60e115ca911bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this from king watch a while back and love it. Has been a daily wear for the last 6 months but the crown has been bothering me.. Feel like it might be too big for the 'vintage' but not sure. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with highoey on this- get the 702 crown and tube. It's more appropriate for the white 1680 sub which dates from the 70s when the 702 crown and tube was used. The 700 crown and tube dates from the 60s- good for an early 5513-5512.

@Alligoat, with a red 1680 build from the late 1960s, would you use a 702 or a 700? Right now I have a gen 703 on there.

The 702 is what you want, but pretty much all gen subs that went back to RSC's for service in later years got the 703 crown as a replacement.

Back in the old days before these watches became somewhat a collectors item, owners were happy when their beat up sub came back from Rolex with a new crown,Crystal and frequently a service dial and hands. Lots of older subs and SD's ended up as non-stock because of Rolex's policies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd probably do the 702. Most red subs date from '69- '74. 

Great.  Thanks for the recommendation!  That's what I have been thinking in my gut, so it is nice to get confirmation from a pro.  I bought my vintage 703 long before Athaya even prototyped the 702, otherwise I would have just bought that one for sure.  I'll take it off this winter and replace it with the 702 at the same time that I take it apart to work on the dial and replace the plexi.  Seems like a perfect time for that.