When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Zenith

lillo

Guys

I desire to buy a good rep of Daytona. I have seen that the best reps are the Gen Zenith caliber insert and Gen dial

There is an affordable seller or site or address to but this watch ? In internet there are some fake sellers and sites , and the Daytona as my description I think to cost an heavy price.....

r.thumb.jpeg.db17637929dd48ff322ee5b7330

Didn't someone just have one of these for sale? It went for $5,500 I believe?

Agree, unless u enjoy the building process I would rather spend a little more money buying a gen, atleast you can sell it much easier and pretty much get most of your money back. Unless is a vintage build which commands more I personally don't see the hassle.

I know that a lot of guys enjoy the hunt for parts, and the build process, I include myself as I have several pretty much "modded to the max" watches. There are some however that defy economic reality when it comes to a build. The SS Daytona, and the 16610 are both examples of that. I see guys here putting together 16610's with gen dials, hands, bezel/insert, movement, Crystal crown/tube. You have a really nice watch when you are finished, but you also have 80% of the price of a good used 16610. If you are building a watch that you plan to be buried with, then it's probably OK, the problem here is those "Grail" watches tend to fall out of favor after a while, and something more "Graily" comes along. Now you have a real problem. It's incredibly difficult to sell a multi thousand dollar franken, no matter how good. It's still a a franken, and you are never going to wake up in the morning and discover that it has transformed into a gen! There are only a few places you can sell your "super franken" 16610 or Daytona, this and a handful of other Replica boards. And if you aren't a well known member with a good sales and participation history, you may well not get permission for a high value sale. On the other hand, A well taken care of gen 16610 is readily salable on a multitude of venues and you can usually get back most if not all of your purchase price.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anyone from pursuing their high end builds, I just want to play the devils advocate and throw out a few observations gained from 12-14 years on Replica forums. Everyone deserves all the facts, that way you go into a project with your eyes wide open and know and accept the problems going in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, but I would also say that a lot of people start out wanting a nice rep with acouple mods and over time it turns into a Franken. And a lot of times it's done over acouple years a few hundred here and there. Or finding a good deal on one part or another. Then by the time they are done it would've been financially smarter to go gen. Also to a lot of people that might not plan on ever selling would like to have a almost gen Franken for half the retail gen.

I agree, but I would also say that a lot of people start out wanting a nice rep with acouple mods and over time it turns into a Franken. And a lot of times it's done over acouple years a few hundred here and there. Or finding a good deal on one part or another. Then by the time they are done it would've been financially smarter to go gen. Also to a lot of people that might not plan on ever selling would like to have a almost gen Franken for half the retail gen.

I agree with most of what you are saying, especially about the modding in stages. That's exactly how I started out with my GMTIIC, first the bezel/insert, then a few months later a gen Crystal, then a year or so later a gen dial and then a couple of months ago, a converted Y3135 gen crown and gen hands. Because I started this project a while back, got some parts for considerably less than what they are selling for today, I have a lot less in it than say someone who started right now and bought all the parts over a short period of time. I reckon I've got between 22 and 25 hundred dollars in the watch, doubt that you could do it for that today.

Like you said, if you aren't planning on selling are the key words.I doubt that any of the folks here and other forums had any plans of selling their cherished Frankens when they were building them, but as you and we all know, very few of us have been able to maintain a static collection over time. Tastes change, financial situations change, and sometimes a new watch is and itch that can only be scratched by selling something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great post, thanks

he Daytona Zenith fake has a price very hig, I think that I renuced to it and search reps whit a more rasonaible price, for 4500/5000  $ in my country (Iyaly) is possible to buy very good used Gen Rolex, as Sub TT blue, Seadweller , sub no date vintage and good watch of other maisons, as Omega , Panerai ecc..

I expect a improbable future if chinese sellers  produce a caliber asian similar to Zenith ............

Edited by lillo